[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I can "NEVER" eat/make black pudding, so I'll stick with chocolate.
    Here is an easy peezzee dessert
    4 cups chopped up rhubarb washed and dried
    dumped into a 9x13 greased cake pan spread it around
    pour/sprinkle 1 cup sugar over all the rhubarb
    pour/sprinkle 1 small or large box of jello over that
    I use all flavors it doesnt matter Our fav is peach
    then in another bowl mix a cake mix according to the box and pour over all others
    Our fav is choc and peach jello
    bake according to cake mix box directions
    let cool a bit
    then slice a big piece
    scoop it out and turn it over on plate so the hot drizzling rhubarb/sugar/jello ozzes down the sides
    top with ice cold vanilla ice cream or cool whip or whipped cream what ever you have
    our fav is vanilla ice cream
    easy and delicious
    great hot, warm or cold
    frigerate it after it cools.
    Enjoy, Bren for SD

Comment

The water for tea brewing (is Ahmad Tea of London okay? I have Earl Grey, English Tea no. 1 and English breakfast tea--any best one among them?). If not, I'll have to resort to barley tea, green tea, chrysanthemum tea or homemade ginger tea... :roll: but I could not help myself and came back to Wot RoTT for a minute...

Comment

Originally posted by sugarmuffin57
        Rita,
        I had to look up sultanas, never heard of them. Seems they are what we refer to as Golden raisins here in the states.
        Does this sound like your mixed spice? 1 tbsp cinnamon, ground
        1 tsp coriander, ground
        1 tsp nutmeg, ground
        1/2 tsp ginger, ground
        1/4 tsp allspice, ground
        1/4 tsp cloves, ground

Also, would nuts be good in this do you think?
        Karen

I'm with you KarenI had to look them up too... I thought it was a soda cracker LOL!
        Bren from SD 82 yesterday and a blizzard last week

Comment

Originally posted by sewengel
          I have a great recipe for rhubarb. KILL IT!! I can't stand any type of rhubarb much to my DH and late MIL sadness. LOL

Sharon in CO - 70 degrees here today --Love it.
          Sharon are you serious?
          Do you really hate rhubarb?
          I make a AWESOME jam from it with raspberrys and it is to die for on hot fresh toasted bread
          Do you want to try it?
          Bren in SD

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
            Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            Lorna, at this time of year the rhubarb is beginning to appear so a good Irish desert would be a Rhubarb Fool. The way we do it is you chop the rhubarb (a bunch that you could buy in the supermarket might have about 6-8 stems) into inch-long pieces, and simmer until soft with about 2 tablespoons of water. Add sugar to sweeten it to your liking. When the rhubarb has completely cooled whip up about 1/2 pt cream (double cream in the UK) until it is almost stiff. Fold the rhubarb into the cream and either decant into a large bowl or into individual bowls and chill until ready to serve. We are also very fond of rhubarb crumble, apple, rhubarb or gooseberry tart (our tarts are flatter than the American version), trifle. We are also fond of our tea bracks. If you would like a recipe for that I can give it to you but it's not so much a dessert as a thing we have with a cup of tea. Hope that helps.
            And a rhubarb pie should be 12" long by 1" wide 8) :lol: if only you could get the pie dish the right shape for it :wink:

By the way, with rhubarb, it is very sharp and can need more sugar than sometimes you think, look for the smaller stems they tend to be sweeter
            Rosemary, you should make this rhubarb pan and we could all buy one!
            That would be too cool!
            Bren from SD

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna1021
              Thanks for the recipe. That looks great.

Woohoo! I have received the last package I was waiting for. Let the sorting begin!

Lorna
              Y A H O O!

Y A H O O!

Y A H O O!

Y I P P Y --- S K I P P Y!

Comment

Bren, your recipe looks so good I will have to try it. Renata, and anybody else who wants to try the tea brack, it's English Breakfast Tea that we use. Earl Grey is far too aromatic.

We eat Barm Brack at Halloween - when everybody goes barmy and dresses up in fancy dress etc. Of course some people dress up throughout the year - does that make them chronically barmy Rosemary? :lol:

Comment

Ok girls here is the rhubarb story. My mother never cooked it, so one summer I stayed with my aunt (about 300 miles away) and she went outside to get the rhubarb, cut it up in the saucepan and proceeded to put it in the bowls with NO SUGAR. Well as you all know without sugar it is pretty tart. I didn't like it and she was from the clean plate club and said to eat it. You know those stubborn German women, well I did eat it, but it took all day. I never have had rhubarb again. I know, I know, my late MIL would try and try with strawberries, etc. and sugar, but it is embedded into me.

So yes, to answer your question I DO NOT LIKE rhubarb, I hope you will all still like me after that confession. LOL Also I do know how to cook and bake and all that, but I only have a kitchen because it came with the house. LOL We don't starve I just don't particularly enjoy planning meals every stinking day. Sorry for the mood. You girls did cheer me up today.

Hugs, Sharon

Comment

After that experience I totally undertand why you don't like rhubard Sharon. I do have to say that we really enjoy it--we used to eat it stewed on ice cream. The tart with sweet and creamy was delicious! I have a great rhubarb cake recipe that has a butter cookie crust plus a rhubarb custard layer topped with a cream cheese frosting. It is delicious and hard to stop at just one piece.

Comment

We don't starve I just don't particularly enjoy planning meals every stinking day. Sorry for the mood. You girls did cheer me up today.

Hugs, Sharon
                      I am totally with you on this comment, it can get so boring, coming up with something different from yesterday, and what is in the house that you feel like cooking. Then DH comes in having been thinking about food all day and fired up and excited about his next meal :roll: . When I was a kid because we had a cooked meal at school we had bread and jam followed by a piece of cake for tea every weekday. It must have made it much simpler for my Mum - who recently told me that she gets bored planning every meal as well.

That said I do enjoy baking (& cooking) when in the mood for it.

Comment

And for those that do like rhubarb, a fresh stick and a bowl of sugar to dip it into with every bite can be good too (gooseberries are also good like this).

Comment

I think once in my life I made a strawberry rhubarb pie and that might have been with frozen rhubarb. I will definitely be looking for it in the market and trying some new things.

Lorna

Comment

Ahhhh - strawberry rhubarb pie, takes me back to my childhood. We had rhubarb outback and mom made the pie or rhubarb custard and also stewed rhubarb. Yum yum.
                            Rosemary - rhubarb with a bowl of sugar, does that mean you eat it raw. Never have tried that.
                            Sharon - The first step to recovery is admittling it (that you don't like rhubarb), so now you can recover and try it again. Seriously you really might like made differently.
                            7:30 a.m. and I wasn't hungry til I started reading all the posts
                            Lori

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                              We don't starve I just don't particularly enjoy planning meals every stinking day. Sorry for the mood. You girls did cheer me up today.

Hugs, Sharon
                              I am totally with you on this comment, it can get so boring, coming up with something different from yesterday, and what is in the house that you feel like cooking. Then DH comes in having been thinking about food all day and fired up and excited about his next meal :roll: . When I was a kid because we had a cooked meal at school we had bread and jam followed by a piece of cake for tea every weekday. It must have made it much simpler for my Mum - who recently told me that she gets bored planning every meal as well.

That said I do enjoy baking (& cooking) when in the mood for it.
                              Sharon, I am also with you on this too. I hate, hate, hate having to think about and cook a dinner every stinkin' day! That said DH is more than willing if I suggest he do it - but the menu is limited. 30 years of cooking dinners takes it out of ya! Like you Rosemary, I am happy to bake cakes, tarts, biscuits etc., - now why can't they all just eat those and then we would be happy

Comment

Originally posted by LoriReid
                                Rosemary - rhubarb with a bowl of sugar, does that mean you eat it raw. Never have tried that.

7:30 a.m. and I wasn't hungry til I started reading all the posts
                                Lori
                                Yes - raw.

One thing about rhubarb is that have you got the 'common' variet'y or the 'champagne' one. My parents had the champagne variety (despite the pet rabbit's best efforts to eat it up completely) and it is more delicate and sweeter taste than the other. Added to which, how long has it been sitting undisturbed in it's bed, because after several years it just gets big and tough regardless, at which point the crown needs digging up in winter and the frost allowed to get at it before splitting and replanting, this gives it a shock and it goes back to being small and delicate again.

Or so I have been told, gardening happens after housework on my list of things to do :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 66 users online. 0 members and 66 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X