[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sitting here really laughing about this whole "accurate spool" exchange! I can laugh, because I have previously admitted I stuggled, too! We are all great quilters, we do BOMs, win awards, give our best work to grandchildren and friends, and yet when asked to sew a few strips together, we have stuggled. Some of us even made 600 or more HSTs for the big exchange, without even batting an eyelash. So, the simplicity of this exchange and the ripping and recutting we have done, you have to admit, is comical. I mean, just look at that quilt Kathy is holding up in her profile photo and tell me she doesn't know how to measure, cut and sew accurately! Too funny!

Dawn
    In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
      Postscript: And, you can be sure also that if I ever do any strip piecing like this again, I will have learned what to do!
      Kathy
      Good attitude Kathy! If it helps, anyone who missed my photo tutorials for doing these reels can review them here:
      http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...-rott-exchange
      (just scroll down to the photos)

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'm supposed to be putting the final border on a quilt, but I had lots of time to think while sewing on these borders and had an idea that I had to try. This isn't the way I did my blocks, but might have if I thought of it yesterday. For those of you who are having a hard time sewing a straight seam or getting accurate measurements give this a try. Cut scant 1/2" strips of freezer paper and iron to your first fabric. You will have to practice to get the size strips needed. I placed the 1/2" line of the ruler off the paper which was close, but a thread width past that might be closer. I would probably use strips of fabric no longer than 12" which will cut 3 reels with a couple inches at the ends for squaring up. Iron the freezer paper strip to the wrong side of the first fabric and add the next strip by sewing next to the freezer paper using an open toe foot. Press the seam open with a dry iron. Sew another strip on the other side. Press the seam open and measure to see if the middle strip measures 1/2". If it does you're good to go. Move the freezer paper over to the next strip, lining it up with the seam. How careful you line it up will make a difference. Add the next strip. Remember to sew every other strip in the opposite direction. I would add the next strip to the opposite side, and continue in this manner until there are 8 strips sewn together. Be sure and cut your end strips a little wider so you can trim to size. Hope this helps. Let me know if you try this and it works for you. The suggestions for not using steam until all of the strips are sewn together is good.

Comment

Dawn, you're helping me see the humor in this situation! I remember some tears shed over the quilt in my photo, too.

It just seems so easy....... just cut and sew together 1 inch strips! What could be more simple? What could bring me humility more quickly?
          There's lots of time to finish this, I say to myself.

You all are a constant source of encouragement. Thank you
          Kathy

Comment

Hope the bronchitis gets better. I am just getting over it and the antibiotics make my head all fuzzy. I, too, was overwhelmed for a bit and even thought I might not have been able to do the second set of strips. You'll be okay soon, and the strips will turn out. Take care.
            Terrie

Comment

Originally posted by Scoopie
              I'm sitting here really laughing about this whole "accurate spool" exchange! I can laugh, because I have previously admitted I stuggled, too! We are all great quilters, we do BOMs, win awards, give our best work to grandchildren and friends, and yet when asked to sew a few strips together, we have stuggled. Some of us even made 600 or more HSTs for the big exchange, without even batting an eyelash. So, the simplicity of this exchange and the ripping and recutting we have done, you have to admit, is comical. I mean, just look at that quilt Kathy is holding up in her profile photo and tell me she doesn't know how to measure, cut and sew accurately! Too funny!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana
              I'm laughing with you, Dawn!

Comment

Well, I finished the second set of reels. They're all tagged and packaged and ready to go
                winging o'er the sea to England! My seams are certainly a little wonky here and there ! :roll:
                And 1/2 inch strips...well, mine surely have some variety ! :roll: I'm really looking forward to receiving my
                reels from all of you out in the wide world and I know that all have done their best and they will be
                just perfect. This is the #2 set...orange-y red, but not as orange as they look here.

Comment

I'm sewing my reels tomorrow. :lol: Mine will be black and white. I love all the beautiful colours being done! ....Doreen

Comment

Another way to get a more accurate 1/2" is to use a wider presser foot and move the needle over to the right so it is 1/2" from the left edge of the presser foot. Then align the left edge of the presser foot with the previous seam. I do that all of the time for 1/4" or 3/8" widths so it should work for 1/2" widths too. If all else fails, just enjoy the process. The best part will be getting all of the different colored reels.

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                      If all else fails, just enjoy the process. The best part will be getting all of the different colored reels.
                      ABSOLUTELY!!

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                        Another way to get a more accurate 1/2" is to use a wider presser foot and move the needle over to the right so it is 1/2" from the left edge of the presser foot. Then align the left edge of the presser foot with the previous seam. I do that all of the time for 1/4" or 3/8" widths so it should work for 1/2" widths too. If all else fails, just enjoy the process. The best part will be getting all of the different colored reels.
                        What a great idea! I have never thought of that but it sure makes sense! :shock: One of those ideas that is so obvious but not in line with the mainstream concept so it is easily missed. Love it! Going directly into my tool belt! Thanks!

Comment

Barbara you should just choose a colour you have enough of in your stash rather than go and buy more because even if you do the same colour as somebody has already done the fabrics will most likely be different anyway, and the combination you put together will be different too. Personally, I don't think that you should give up on those strips yet. My suggestion is that you take one of those strips and unpick it. Try to get your seam allowance as accurate as you can on a practice strip a la Margo's tutorials and if you get that one strip right then the rest should be okay. And if you have to get new fabric then you will have a lot of strips that you could use in the border or another border as piano keys.

Kathy, I hope you feel better soon - bronchitis is terrible and would definitely make you feel depressed even without having to sew itty bitty strips just right! Rita. X

Comment

Love your spools Marilyn - poppies, that's what they remind me of, a field of poppies. Very cheerful altogether! I can't wait to get everybody's spools this is going to be such a jolly quilt. And Dawn you are so right. I was looking at Kathy's quilt and thinking the same thing. But these little babies are deceptively simple and that's what caught us all out. But the process has taught me how to sew a straight 1" seam. There's no doubt about it practice makes perfect (or nearly perfect... well close enough to perfect... I think :wink: ) Rita.

Comment

I have to admit, that originally I thought that the way to go was to cut pieces of paper the right size and then to cover it along the length with strips of different widths and angles. That way you could be sure of getting the right size.

Then I thought of taking the paper off :roll: , and also having all the grains going in different directions, so I changed my mind :wink:

There really is nothing harder to get right than a 'very simple small project', because there is nothing to distract the eye.
                              So as my Mum always says 'Keep moving, and they won't notice' :lol: - although that works a lot better on clothes than quilts :wink:

Comment

i'm getting rather nervous of starting on my reels...
                                am rushing about all this week as i'm off to dubai for the arab health exhibition on friday - so i won't be touching anything before end of the month unfortunately - by that time you will all have tried out every possible method and posted all the do's and don'ts and i won't have an excuse for a wonky line hmmmmm should have gotten that fabric out the first night and sewed quick quick quick...
                                but as i really want to have rosemarie's get-well-quilt in the mail before the reels are started...
                                i've finished quilting both sides - too many get-well wishes to make a nice simple quilt with a nice simple backing.... no ended up having to make two fronts - quilting one onto the wadding and the other onto an old bedsheet of my grandmothers' (hey i love love love that multi-colored cotton superior quilting thread - used up 900 yards on this quilt so far and my machine quilting will eventually become acceptable - my feathers are actually looking like feathers now), now i'm slowly slowly handquilting the two fronts together so that they will all hold, but as little as possible of what i'm doing on the front will show up on the "second front". patience required by the most impatient person i know :roll:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X