Cleaning My Iron

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think (sure) you need to try it before you finish the bottle

Comment

"Hair of the dog" is a colloquial expression that has come to mean if you have had too much to drink and have a hangover, that if you drink more alcohol, you'll feel better. Never worked for me. So if starch is burned on your iron, then starch can fix it. I think once upon a time there was a practice that if a rabid dog bit you, if you put the hair of that dog on the bite, you'd be ok. I doubt that worked either.

Comment

As I know it, you have another drink the morning after --of the same liquor that gave you the hangover. :-)

Love the iron cleaning tips. I use the tube of cleaner but it isn't always easy to find in my small town. Will start saving my dryer sheets after use and try the magic eraser too

Comment

Originally posted by anne1
          Sharon Schamber has a hint on You Tube about cleaning your iron, she uses Mr Clean Magic Eraser or you can use something similar.
          There are a lot of hints on You Tube about cleaning gunk off your iron...hope this helps.
          Anne
          Be careful with that product. It contains a known carcinogen.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Hi Anne,(Editor Anne)
            I'm sorry I did not know about the carcinogens when I posted, so it maybe best not to use it.
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by anne1
              Hi Anne,(Editor Anne)
              I'm sorry I did not know about the carcinogens when I posted, so it maybe best now to use it.
              Anne
              I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about it. The company probably doesn't want us to know!

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Hi y'all! This morning I needed to clean my iron again. This time the build-up was Magic Sizing, from ironing fabric and my work clothes. I sprayed Magic Sizing on a paper towel and wiped down my COLD iron and it was clean in seconds. Didn't have to buy iron cleaner, no steaming Magic Eraser, no worries about burning myself. Awesome. 8)

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Anything made with petroleum products would be carcinogenic. But I assumed you would dampen the eraser and rub it on a cold iron. That should be OK to do with no health worries.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience Sherry! Because of the way I starch my fabric, I seldom need to clean my iron, but I'll surely be keeping this in mind!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

That's a great suggestion, Sherry, one I'll try after my Rowenta cleaner runs out. I tried the Magic Eraser & had no luck, same with dryer sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                        Thanks for sharing your experience Sherry! Because of the way I starch my fabric, I seldom need to clean my iron, but I'll surely be keeping this in mind!
                        Explain further, please. I am thinking lots of starch would increase the amount of "gouck" on the iron.

Comment

I guess the fresh starch just desolves the dried on starch and it wipes off very easily. I then wipe it with a damp rag and it good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                            Originally posted by Margo
                            Explain further, please. I am thinking lots of starch would increase the amount of "gouck" on the iron.
                            Lois, I don't iron the starch dry! I lay beach towels out flat on the floor and spread my fabric over them then spray the starch until the fabric is saturated.
                            I leave it spread out flat until it's dry, usually overnight so I can get a running start in the morning! :lol:
                            When the fabric is DRY, I just iron it, usually with steam, for a perfectly flat, crisp finish, and no gunk on my iron!!!

(I mix my own starch with Sta-Flo liquid starch and water, mixed 50/50.)

Comment

Margo, Now that I think more about how you do your starching it makes so much sense in many ways. I think something must happen differently to the fabric starch combo when left to dry on its own. First of all it doesn't stick to the iron and I am thinking that in itself might mean it attaches itself better to the cotton fibers. The problem I have when I iron the starched fabric while it was still very damp is distortion. Just now I am remembering those Sharon Schamber's video regarding stretching and shrinking quilt blocks to size. She used starch to relax the fibers so they would stretch. When I hung 1/2 yd pieces of my starched fabric on the clothes line to dry I also had a problem with distortion. I have a clothes line on a screened-in porch so there is no problem with fading but the starched fabric stretched. It seemed as though gravity did a job on the wet starched fabric. I am going to give your method a try next time.

Comment

Lois, I've done it this way for years for exactly the reasons you listed and more!
                                There is no mess on the iron, no scorched ironing surface, no flakey white stuff on the fabric, and no distortion!

Of course, it helps to have a floor that won't be damaged with the moisture and space to leave it overnight, and no critters who want to "help"! :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X