[vb_main_1]

Cleaning My Iron

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ritzy
    OK ladies, what in the world does "hair of the dog that bit you" mean?
    Often used when referring to a hangover... To cure a hangover, you need some hair of the dog that bit you... I.e. alcohol.

To get sticky sticker leftovers off a surface, use sticky tape...

To clean an iron with a starch build up, use a liquid starch solution...

Bet there are lots of places this applies to...
    The most known and probably most important would be vaccinations, though there you get the hair if the dog before the bite... Hmm
    But homeopathic medication is certainly based on that, as the treatment is made up of minuscule amounts of the poison or whatever that caused the illness.

Of course I wouldn't suggest pouring red wine on a red wine stain... :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by lotti
      Often used when referring to a hangover... To cure a hangover, you need some hair of the dog that bit you... I.e. alcohol.

To get sticky sticker leftovers off a surface, use sticky tape...

To clean an iron with a starch build up, use a liquid starch solution...

Bet there are lots of places this applies to...
      The most known and probably most important would be vaccinations, though there you get the hair if the dog before the bite... Hmm
      But homeopathic medication is certainly based on that, as the treatment is made up of minuscule amounts of the poison or whatever that caused the illness.

Of course I wouldn't suggest pouring red wine on a red wine stain... :twisted:
      I understood that originally it refered to if you had been bitten by a rabid dog, you needed some of the hairs of the same dog to be used as a treatment to avoid getting rabies - how I don't know, I doubt that it would have worked anyway. :?

Lotti, I am pleased to hear that you wouldn't pour red wine on a red wine stain - that would be compound alchol abuse! :P

Comment

yup - red wine is something to be savoured - never to be used for "cleaning"

Comment

Ditto?

Comment

People here suggest that if you are hungover from too much alcohol that you have a 'hair of the dog' to settle the stomach. In other words have another drink to cure the hangover. i don't think it really works but if you have enough drinks then you might forget about your hangover! Not that I would ever do that.

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
              Connie, what kind did you use? I've been using Rowenta's cleaner lately & it works well, unlike their irons :roll:

I should ask the same of Ritzy, I've never been successful with dryer sheets.
              Susan, I really threw caution to the wind. First I used Fabricraft Hot Iron Cleaner, and when that didn't get it all off, I tried a Bo-Nash Iron Clean sheet. Eventually got the starch off, but by then half the Teflon was gone too...so glad it was a $10 iron! Made it an easy decision to trash it. :roll:

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Irons are such a nuisance. They just need cleaning or need to visit the dump on a regular basis. My favorite dry iron from The Country Store finally gave up the ghost. The new one isn't as slick as the old one, but still heats to hotter than the blazes.

My daughter had a stainless steel bottomed Shark (I believe) that was covered in gunk. I asked her if she cleaned it. She said she didn't know how. :roll: :roll: It came clean in 5 minutes.

Comment

I had often heard of the hair of the dog, and related it to alcohol. The posts also reminded me of bubble gum when I was waaay younger. When the bubble popped and stuck to my lips I would use the rest of the chewed gum to get it off. Gross, but it is what a kid would do. :lol: :lol:

Comment

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...air_of_the_dog

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

red wine stane you pore white wine on it!!! leave it for a while and then put a rug on it and suck the wine. och, i hope it is clear.
                      but it works!!!

tnx for the tip cleaning the iron! yuppie yeee

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by beckyezra
                        red wine stane you pore white wine on it!!! leave it for a while and then put a rug on it and suck the wine. och, i hope it is clear.
                        but it works!!!

tnx for the tip cleaning the iron! yuppie yeee
                        You are right about the red wine stain. I've put it to test more than once.

Comment

Look just have red carpets - then it won't show 8) I still say it is alchol abuse - spilling it rather than drinking it :roll: Unless you are into quaffing rather than drinking (quaffing = a bit like drinking but you spill more :lol: )

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                              Look just have red carpets - then it won't show 8) I still say it is alchol abuse - spilling it rather than drinking it :roll: Unless you are into quaffing rather than drinking (quaffing = a bit like drinking but you spill more :lol: )
                              Lucky me I had some terrible white stuff on habd the last time this happened and everyone was glad to see it go! Your right it is ashame to waste good wine but on the other hand if you are saving a fine carpet it could be worth the investment.

Comment

Or you could switch to a clear liquor...like gin. Tonic is clear too! :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X