[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

MY FABRIC STORAGE SOLUTION

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I am down to the end of the FQ and there isn't enough to refold and put back on the shelf, I will cut it into one of several shapes and store it in a plastic container (skinny strip, wide strip, square, or triangle). I have another box for orphan blocks as well.

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee, good idea. I use ziplock bags for my scraps - but I keep getting them muddled. Maybe if I had them in boxes it would be easier, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Would fusing either interfacing or stabilizer to the cardboard before wrapping it with fabric help do away with the acid problem?

Comment

I store my fabric on bookshelves. Right now I have sheets hanging over them to shield them from the light.

I would like to find something acid-free to line the shelves with. It needs to be inexpensive. Any ideas?

Judy Austin

Comment

acid free paper at Nancy'sotions.com

Comment

Originally posted by JudithLee
              I store my fabric on bookshelves. Right now I have sheets hanging over them to shield them from the light.

I would like to find something acid-free to line the shelves with. It needs to be inexpensive. Any ideas?

Judy Austin
              If the shelves are painted, there should be no problem.
              Since I make binding in advance of the top being quilted, I roll the prepped binding on a cardboard tube that I have covered with aluminum foil.
              Aluminum foil is my friend.

Coast of South Carolina USA
              Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

I got tired of digging through bins of fabric looking for what I needed. I went to Home Depot and bought sheets of corrugated plastic, just like the cardbard but plastic instead. I guess it is used for outside signs, like for garage sales. I figured out what sizes I wanted and drew lines and used a utility knive to cut it. My hubby finaly took pity on me and used his table saw to cut it. Way faster. I made some of them 12" tall and about 6" wide, to fit my bookshelf. I then had some cut 11" high to fit the hutch I bought for 1/2 price at the thrift shop, it has glass doors to protect my fabric from dust and the storage underneath is for quilt back fabrics and my PFD yardage for dyeing. The doors are solid wood so I can't see what is there but that is alright since I know what is there and it keeps it safe. I do have more fabric in bins so I purchased a couple more sheets of the plastic and will wrap what I can on those. If I have fabric that goes together I wrap them on the same board, just fold the fabric at an angle so you can see all that are wrapped. So nice when I am looking for fabric no digging through bins.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Kitty, thanks for the info. I have seen things like that at the quilt shows, but they were a little costly to my way of thinking. I'd rather buy fabric. This is something I may try. (Just as soon as I get DH to cut shelves for my storage cabinet. I am not real patient, but he bought the plywood 2 weeks ago.) I would love to get my sewing area more organized!

Comment

Cathy, be careful what you wish for. I have spent the last two years wanting to rearrange and organize my space. DH gave me a hard time last year when I wanted to do it. This year, when I said I still wanted to do it--he gave in. We are glad he did, I told him "next year we would be too old to do all this". He agreed. I have been working on it for three weeks and he is in there as I type. I am getting closer to being done but it feels like I will never get finished. If I live to see it finished (ok, so maybe I am exaggerating a little) it will be wonderful; but, I want to be creating, not cleaning.

Comment

I have just been reading about folding fabric and it seems a lot of quilters are using comic book boards to make little bolts of fabric. They come in different sizes but the most useful ones seem to be the 7.5 x 10" ones. You can get them at comic book or hobby stores or online at Amazon, etc. The best part is they are acid-free. You can get a package of 100 for around $12.

Comment

I agree that I don't think it is acid from cardboard as I have had fabric and baby quilts in cardboard file boxes for many years and they are just fine. It is the light that affects the fabric. That is one of the reasons that stores move their fabic and/or clothing around quite often. I have had 1fabric in a wallhanging fade even though it was never washed and never had sunlight on it. The rest of the fabrics were fine...it was just the one that actually changed color.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 73 users online. 0 members and 73 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X