[vb_main_1]

MY FABRIC STORAGE SOLUTION

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY FABRIC STORAGE SOLUTION

Most of my fabric is in tubs, soon to go on shelves. I was very frustrated looking for certain fabrics I knew I had (yes my stash is way too large). I am cutting cardboard pieces 6 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches. I measure the yardage, fold the fabric lengthwise and wrap it on the cardboard with the selvage out that shows the colorway. There is a lip of cardboard that sticks out and on this I write the yardage and either u.w. for unwashed or p.w. for prewashed. (I now prefer not to prewash). Then (for now) I am stacking them on their sides so I can lift the lidand at a glance I find what I am looking for. They are color sorted also.
    For other fabric for clothing I am doing the same but putting fabric type/content/washing instructions. Most of those boards are 30 inches by 8 inches since it is usually bulkier and more yardage. This way at a glance I know what I have to work with.
    It is a process but sometimes I sit and watch tv with hubby and I am picking away at it. The only problem is I get less fabric per tub, but will end up using more stash and buying less because I can find what I need.
    Diane in Wyoming
    P.S. I haven't got to my fat quarters yet or my pieces.

You might want to cover the cardboard with paper that you know is acid free. Over time, the acid in the cardboard can discolor your fabric. There is a product from http://www.polarnotions.com that is made of a some type of plastic that is acid free. There are videos on you tube and the web site that show really dramatic transformations. I am in the process of redoing my stash with them now. I will post pictures of the before and after soon.

Comment

Thanks Brenda! A picture is worth a thousand words! This is a still frame of the video showing what acid in the cardboard will do to fabric! YIKES!!

That shows the cardboard bolt that fabric is on the in fabric stores!
      Maybe that's why the end of a bolt of fabric is often discounted???

Cardboard left in your fabric folds is NOT a good idea!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Looks more like fading from florescent lights. Why else would fading occur only on the edge that was exposed to light? And how many years did it take to do that? But, on the other hand, why bulk up your fabric storage with cardboard anyway? I've had fabric in my stash going back to the 70's, and it's just fine. Ugly, but fine.

Comment

Good to know about the possibility of acid in cardboard, thanks for that. I considered using cereal packets to wrap my fabrics around when I did a clear out a few weeks ago but in the end I decided to go for Margo's folding method instead which has worked really well. Thanks Margo.

PDQuilt - your 'ugly' fabrics are probably going to become very trendy again soon ... just hang on in there :lol:

Comment

I will tell you that the acid from wood will do the same thing. Experience speaking here.

Comment

I may be somewhat pessimistic here, but I'm waiting for all those rust-dyed fabrics to fall apart.

Then again, personally I'm not interested what happens to something I made in 500 years. I'm perfectly happy if it survives me.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

DirtyAnnie- Now that you will be able to find your specifics in your stash more quickly, maybe you will use it up faster so you won't have to worry about any acid affecting it. Kudos for you for even making the effort to get organized! You have one up on me!!

Kathy

Comment

DirtyAnnie here. I will have to rethink this solution I guess. I still have way too much fabric and have actually sold some at half price. I try a couple of times a year at yard sales. It is creating a block in moving forward on projects. Wish I had my sewing room complete, tired of moving things around. But when all is said and done I guess I will know what does work and doesn't work for me. I need to seriously downsize my stash.
                  Diane in Wyoming.

Comment

There are quilters in Texas that will need to rebuild their stashes from scratch after the fires. Our guild is donating, maybe you can thin out your stash this way too.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

That's a great idea Eileen.
                      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
                        Looks more like fading from florescent lights. Why else would fading occur only on the edge that was exposed to light? And how many years did it take to do that? But, on the other hand, why bulk up your fabric storage with cardboard anyway? I've had fabric in my stash going back to the 70's, and it's just fine. Ugly, but fine.
                        I agree on the lights, rather than blaming the cardboard.We were in retail and soon learned what effect the lighting could have on fabric. I also agree with Lorchen that I am not quilting for anything but the present. I don't want to live 500 years so why should my quilts. I hope every quilt I make is used and loved to death.
                        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

On the subject of 'used and loved to death', I have just found out what has happened to a baby quilt I made in 2003, I think it was. It was given to a colleague for her first baby. It was then used for her second baby. It was passed on to her younger sister for her first, and has now just been given to a cousin who has had a little one last month. I'm told it has survived numerous washes and is still in excellent condition. Now that's what I like!!

Comment

That's great Lorchen, exactly what I would like too. Lovely quilt.

Comment

WooHoo Lorchen--that is one well loved quilt.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X