X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing the love around!
    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyAnnie
      Most of my fabric is in tubs, soon to go on shelves. I was very frustrated looking for certain fabrics I knew I had (yes my stash is way too large). I am cutting cardboard pieces 6 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches. I measure the yardage, fold the fabric lengthwise and wrap it on the cardboard with the selvage out that shows the colorway. There is a lip of cardboard that sticks out and on this I write the yardage and either u.w. for unwashed or p.w. for prewashed. (I now prefer not to prewash). Then (for now) I am stacking them on their sides so I can lift the lidand at a glance I find what I am looking for. They are color sorted also.
      For other fabric for clothing I am doing the same but putting fabric type/content/washing instructions. Most of those boards are 30 inches by 8 inches since it is usually bulkier and more yardage. This way at a glance I know what I have to work with.
      It is a process but sometimes I sit and watch tv with hubby and I am picking away at it. The only problem is I get less fabric per tub, but will end up using more stash and buying less because I can find what I need.
      Diane in Wyoming
      P.S. I haven't got to my fat quarters yet or my pieces.
      After thinking about the damage the cardboard can do to the fabric I am wondering if I can just staple a piece of muslin around the cardboard to protect the fabric. What do you guys think? I am going to have to unwind and rewrap all of these and I only want to do it once. I am hoping the muslin idea is a go, I have a lot that I can use up. If I need to get acid free paper to do the job, where would I get that?
      Diane in Wyoming

Comment

I've read that acid-fee paper loses its effectiveness after just a few years. I'm having good luck with Margo's folding system.

Comment

My folding system doesn't leave anything in the fabric to cause deterioration. Check it out here:
          http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563306368ujRyrP

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Well, I have decided to try Margo's way! I just wish I had my cabinets, but it will be back in the plastic tubs for now. Thank you, Margo.
            Diane in Wyoming

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyAnnie
              Well, I have decided to try Margo's way! I just wish I had my cabinets, but it will be back in the plastic tubs for now. Thank you, Margo.
              Diane in Wyoming
              Diane, you might want to wait until you have your cabinets so that you can make all of your folds fit in them without wasting any space! Every inch is precious!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

with my cabinets - folding with the large ruler ended up with the stacks being just a tick toooooooo wide - i.e. i can remove fabric only if i take out the complete pile every time... so i went to my local DIY store, and had them cut a piece of plexi for me - about a 1/4 inch narrower than the ruler - now everything folds perfectly :lol:
                best to try it out before you have everything done and need to redo it all - i know - i'll be refolding for a while :roll:

Comment

I need to get more organized and I cannot guarantee when I will get my cabinets. I will fold for now in such a way as they fit my tubs and then if I have to - refold when I get my cabinets. As it is now, when I look for fabric I know I have, everything gets topsy turvy. Then I get frustrated and end up buying more fabric and I don't want to. The sewing clutter is cluttering up my mojo! Yikes! Can't have that.
                  Diane in Wyoming

Comment

I met a friend yesterday, who had a small quilting fabric shop, which closed 2-3 years ago and she asked if I would like the tail ends of her stock, that she didn't want, as a present. I said yes and went around to pick up 2 bags of fabric. Now I don't have any spare storage space for this fabric, so I got it all out and re-folded it so that it would sit on end in one of the large bags it came in, I folded it around a 7" 'bolt board', counting the turns, slid the board out, folded it in half and lay it back in the bag. Counting all those turns of 7" I reckon that I got approximately 65 yards of 23 different fabrics! Thats what I call a good trip to the shops

Comment

hey - i recognize some of these fabrics...
                      fabulous shopping expedition - and truly great deal

Comment

Wow! That was a great present. lucky you :!:

Comment

Wow Rosemary, your lucky day! Very masterful folding too.
                          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Those are awesome fabrics!
                            Diane in Wyoming

Comment

That's what I call a great friend!

Comment

Rosemary, you sure are one lucky girl! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 279 users online. 0 members and 279 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X