[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Help, need design and technique help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting better..not worse ! Keep adding some leaves, I think .

Comment

I feel like Van Gogh in the only respect that at the time no one thought his work was any good, probably. I also share his passion to create. Which is why my house is suffering and today I pray I can do it some justice.
      At least I found my instructions of how to do binding which were missing.

I realized when I went to the quilt show this weekend, that it is quite likely someone ripped me off at one of those in the past. My advice is don't take all your tools in your sewing machine cart when you go to these things. I hope they are enjoying my square up ruler, my flying geese ruler and my two other sizes of rotary cutters.. Oh well, I probably don't need them anyway. If I ever find them I will be very surprized. Of all of those things I think I'd like a square up ruler. Maybe this week at Joann's with a coupon. Does anyone else think they are good?

Comment

Oh have another glass of wine and forget the house. You're a quilter on a mission!

Love the texture of your tree trunk, it's going to be good!

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I second that, you are creating, so housework can wait. I like what you've done so far. Non-quilters don't know about work in progress, they don't know what you have to do along the way to the finished piece.

I can remember showing someone one of my quilts that I was working on, with safety pins and batting sticking out, they asked "what are those for??" thinking that the quilt was finished.

Keep going, girl!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
            I can remember showing someone one of my quilts that I was working on, with safety pins and batting sticking out, they asked "what are those for??" thinking that the quilt was finished.

Keep going, girl!

Kathy
            :roll: :roll: :lol:

Comment

Jan, I have been looking at your little quilt quite a lot and need to ask this (silly) question.

Is it supposed to be horizontal as in the picture? I am wondering if the upload turned the picture... Because the striations in the tree fabric sure do look like bark, I think they should go up and down to look more like a tree. When I look at it vertical, I can see more of the feeling of leaves falling. Then I'd add lots more pretty, brightly colored leaves (red, gold, purple, etc) scattered along and esp. at the bottom. Love the maple leaf shape and others that are more deeply cut than just a elongated pointy oval shape.

Hope I didn't offend you by saying I think it should be turned.... Whatever you do, keep on going!!

Comment

Ah but it could be a tree trunk that's fallen down then she can have toadstools growing out of it 8)

Comment

Lol, I need to turn it. It looks worse on it's side. Let me see what I can do

Comment

After seeing the inspiration photo with that textural bark I tried to add lighter patches to the bark. Only I shouldn't have fused them. I get in these moods. Anyway all of the leaves will be pinned to the piece before anymore fusing goes on. It may have been better without adding anything to the bark. Also wondering if I need a sky dye to replace the background. Thinking this is a practice piece for a better one after I learn from mistakes on this one. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

I love seeing how it's developing

Comment

Thanks, Wendy. Now if I only painted the background. But I only have the cloth and it's not been washed yet with synthrapol. I am not sure how to do that anyway.

Comment

The background has colour in it which makes it interesting so you could leave it be and use interesting quilting to make the background work as a snowfield behind the tree or a misty sky. The trunk and leaves have lots of interest in themselves and a good focal point so a lot of colour may detract from it.

Why not try keeping it like this then for your next project try a different fabric and pick different colour fabric for the leaves to give a different atmosphere.

If it bothers you what about adding colour by applique rather than painting it. :?

Comment

You could add leaves falling away from the trunk or a branch coming down from above but it will detract from your lovely trunk.

Comment

I agree with Wendy--at this point, less is MORE! The empty (background) space has importance too in order to give balance to your piece.. Also, remember that you will be adding quilting as well so the empty space will be filled up before you know it! Hope you're having fun with this--I'm enjoying following along!

Comment

Don't forget that when you see leaves falling, you don't always see a whole flat leaf! Add in some odd shapes in fall leaf colors and be sure to add several that appear to be falling behind the tree and some piled up at the base of the tree! We are all learning on this!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 82 users online. 0 members and 82 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X