[vb_main_1]

Help, need design and technique help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, need design and technique help

It had a nice start with tree trunk fabric great but I fused leaves in an ugly fashion and need help with color palate. Unfortunately I can't unfuse anything. It looks like someone put leaves randomly down the sides of the trunk. Maybe I ought to start over. I was using a pattern in an applique book but didn't follow it. I had great leaf fabric but they didn't play together. Wanted to do hand dye for the background ( but it was all in Houston, not at my local quilt show running simulataneously.) Oh I'm thinking of the next to last show with the lady who put her pieces down with 505 spray, which would allow for moving things that don't work. Pity you can't eliminate fusibles with 505, or could you??? Jan ops: :cry: :idea:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

If you apply heat you should be able to peel them off ok.

What about arranging them together at base of trunk as though they'd fallen off the tree. Would that be more pleasing to you?
    You've got some good shapes and colours there. Keep going and you'll start to like it a lot more, I go through these phases with my quilts

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I actually like what you did, Jan. If it were I, I might just add one or two medium and small leaves at the bottom to fill a little more in that area. But I actually like the leaves falling because they give lots of possibilities for swirl-like quilting around them to give movement to their fall.

Comment

Ok, Renata, all may not be lost. I will make all the rest of my leaves and play before using the iron. I was a bit drunk and will never quilt that way again. As a rule I am not a drinker, and it's a good thing because I'm a cheap one.
        Wendy what is the heat source? A hair dryer comes to mind. I am afraid of residue of fusible on the trunk.
        The 505 wouldn't work because I can't cut out the leaves until they have their fusible on the back or the edges would peel off the background. Pins would work, though. Only hoping that I can play again. There are so many leaves to rake and I think it's ironic. And the house is trying to get condemned by the board of health around here.

Comment

leaves make lovely soil .....................in a year or two

I meant use an iron and then if there is any left on fabric, rub with your finger while warm but you can always embellish to cover with more leaves or stitch moss.

I think Renata is right and you'll like it with more leaves. Don't chuck the wine it relaxes you and makes you more creative!!

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I agree with Renata. I like it the way it is. The position of the leaves made me think of falling blowing leaves. Her idea of swirling quilting lines would enhance that. I like the colors too! Keep in mind we are our own worst critics.

Comment

Jan - I love your background, trunk fabric, and color palette for the leaves! Don't stop, keep going! And I like how the leaves are 'chunked' together a little at the bottom. The others are maybe a little to regularly spaced for me - but I wouldn't take them off either, I'd take the others good advice and add more...

Sorry, I don't know anything about fusibles.

I hope you get more time to play!!! With or without liquor. (Tonight I'm going to have a glass of wine and put more buttons on!)

-keith

Comment

I too agree with every one else. I love your leaves that are already there, but you have put them regularly spaced in 2 lines. Cut out a whole bunch more & throw them on - let there be some gaps & some closely piled up. & don't worry!

Comment

thanks everyone. I feel better. It just doesn't look as nice as the example in the book. I'll at least drink a glass of expensive wine slowly, never the house wine, it is usually skunky. There was no hurry there and I don't know why I didn't do my usual sipping. Especially if it didn't taste that great.

Comment

Yep Jan I like it too. I would strew a few more leaves around the base of the trunk to kind of hide the straightness of the bottom. But I think the way the leaves are falling and the colours are great. Have another glass and do some more, hic! ops:

Comment

Jan you have a really good start here. I agree with those that say "keep going!" You need LOTS more leaves! I'd cut out a bunch more, and let them fall randomly on the quilt... see what happens!

I typed in Fallen Leaves into Google Images and it showed me tons of lovely pictures of how leaves tumble and group when fallen from the tree. I think if you search for that, and look at the pictures, you will see some great inspiration for your quilt.

I found this picture on page 8 of that search:

Comment

That's a nice picture, Michelle, and looks like a great inspiration for Jan in going forward in her design.

More leaves is the way go to!

Kathy

Comment

That picture almost looks as if it is Jan's inspiration picture, excepting that hers is still a bit nekked :wink: Keep cutting them thar leaves!

Comment

I'm thinking that an hour of quilting a day will make the mice want to work more so they can play. Lovely picture Michelle. I love the texture of the trunk. It's just what I needed for inspiration. I think having a picture is so helpful. I have done a quilt picturing a city scene from a pattern and felt that I needed a picture to work with, but the teacher couldn't provide it. She made the pattern and I'm guessing lost the picture. Thanks for the help peoples.

Comment

My non quilting friend saw it today and said what is it? She asked if the background was another trunk? I guess it's getting worse, and I should have done work first and maybe no fusing at all. ops: :cry:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X