[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Ten Antique Quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah...there was also this little surprise! Daylight in the middle is not a good thing!

Because none of the surrounding fabrics are effected, I'm thinking that it was probably something that was on this little piece of fabric before it got sewn into the quilt.

I used Bo-Nash bonding powder to fuse a patch on the back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe_zzlIUTP8

And the patch outlined in orange shows the patch through the holes. I stitched over the area to secure the raw edges.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, thanks for sharing this "experience" with us. We are learning a lot.

Comment

These are so beautiful and you are adding so much to them. Are you planning to have a 'show' of them - in a corner of your next local guild show, or the library. I'm sure not only us TQS-ers appreciate them.

Comment

Originally posted by crocus999
          These are so beautiful and you are adding so much to them. Are you planning to have a 'show' of them - in a corner of your next local guild show, or the library. I'm sure not only us TQS-ers appreciate them.
          Now that you mention it, I might hang on to them until the quilt show in the assisted living facility where my MIL lives.
          It's the kind of quilt that these folks would remember. Thanks for the suggestion.
          I'll have to check with my sister-in-law to see if she's OK with me keeping them until August.

Comment

[quote="Margo"]Oh yeah...there was also this little surprise! Daylight in the middle is not a good thing!

To me it looks like a mouse has been there. You find so many interesting things and isn't it wonderful to have the opportunity to be creative in mending them? There is no right or wrong to what to do. Just find a solution. You are very good at that.

living in Central Denmark
            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Margo, could you talk a little about the Quilter's Rule-Square-Block Lap Board in your picture below? What would be some good reasons for me to own one in addition to the usual 12 1/2 square Omnigrid or a Deb Tucker Trimmer III? How many different things do you do with that ruler? I saw it a recent quilt show, but did not get it. Now I'm curious about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                Margo, could you talk a little about the Quilter's Rule-Square-Block Lap Board in your picture below? What would be some good reasons for me to own one in addition to the usual 12 1/2 square Omnigrid or a Deb Tucker Trimmer III? How many different things do you do with that ruler? I saw it a recent quilt show, but did not get it. Now I'm curious about it...
                I really like this 16-1/2" x 16-1/2" ruler for setting up borders for mitered corners. The larger the square, the more area I can check to make sure it's straight and true, and the wider I can make a mitered border.

It's great when I have large blocks to square up, like the first TQS BOM, Bouquets for a New Day that had to be trimmed to 16-1/2" squares, and my GRAM SAYS quilt that had blocks 11-1/2" x 16-1/4".

I also often reach for it when I need to transport a lot of smaller pieces between the design wall to the sewing machine or the ironing board.

I like it!!

Comment

Thanks, Margo. The only other question I have is regarding the grippers underneath this ruler: some people love it because of it keeps the fabric from moving under the ruler; others don't like it because of its grip. Have you heard any of the cons to the grippers on the bottom? How do you compare this ruler's ability to grip the fabric vs. one that does not? Does it really make a difference in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                    Thanks, Margo. The only other question I have is regarding the grippers underneath this ruler: some people love it because of it keeps the fabric from moving under the ruler; others don't like it because of its grip. Have you heard any of the cons to the grippers on the bottom? How do you compare this ruler's ability to grip the fabric vs. one that does not? Does it really make a difference in your opinion?
                    :shock: :lol: :lol: You must have seen a newer version! I've had mine since about 1992 and there are no grippers on the bottom! :roll:
                    Are the grippers permanent, or can they be removed if you don't like them??

Comment

The grippers are very permanent--they're part of the plastic of the ruler on the underside. Almost as if the lines were in bas-relief on the underside of the ruler. They come in two colors of lines--black and a light color. So, I suppose you would buy the one whose lines are most visible to you but I think they were made in two different colors to accommodate visibility on dark colored fabrics and light fabrics, respectively. I suppose a gadget hog would buy both? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Finally, the last of the 10 Antique Quilts is finished!

After quilting and binding and washing and blocking the quilt I realized that one of the dark blue fabrics was bleeding. :evil:
                        Several treatments with Synthrapol got most of it out, but there is still some staining. I sent Brenda pictures and she said it was fine, that it's part of the charm.
                        I can live with that!!

Here is the blocked quilt:

One of the bleeding areas where I was able to get most of the bleed out of the light colored border:

Another bleeding area:

I was not able to wash the "flimsy" top before I quilted it, so these bleeding fabrics were a nasty surprise!!

Comment

And here is part of the border. I marked the spine of the feathers with Crayola WASHABLE markers, and all of those marks came out easily!
                          The feathers are all just free-hand quilted.

I got the info today from Brenda for the labels, so I will get them taken care of this week-end. She is letting me keep the quilts until after August when they will all be displayed at the assisted living facility where my mother-in-law lives. These are the kinds of quilts they remember making and using, so I hope they will enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for tagging along on this adventure with me!

Hugs,
                          MJ

Comment

Margo,
                            What exquisite quilting! You set the bar very high, my friend!
                            Thanks for sharing the wonder of all these treasures.

Comment

Margo, All I got to say is that is one bleedin' beautiful quilt. How lovely! I would love to see pictures of the quilts as they hang in the assisted living center. It would certainly be interesting to hear the discussions they generate among the residents. My mother loved assisted living. Many people in those kinds of facilities still have their mental faculties and when they finally agree to go to them they have a wonderful time because they discover that's where the peer group is and there are still many interesting things to do. Thank you for giving this gift of a display of quilts. I am sure it will bring many fond memories to all the folks who get to see it. I believe for that alone it was worth the effort. It will bring wonderful people like my mother another opportunity for pleasure in their lives. Aren't quilts and quilters wonderful! Thanks Margo!

Comment

Margo - You are such an inspiration! Your quilting is beautiful!! I agree with Brenda, the bleeding just adds to the charm. (As they say, when you're given lemons, make lemonade!) I'm sure the residents at the assisted living center will be thrilled to see these quilts displayed! I know I would be!! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 141 users online. 0 members and 141 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X