[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Ten Antique Quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing, Margo. As usual a beautiful quilt and your quilting is over the top

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Margo, more beautiful quilting on your ten antique quilts and what a great place to give them their sendoff by displaying them at the assisted living center your MIL lives at before they are distributed to their final destination. What a beautiful and kindhearted idea!

Comment

I think I like this one the best Margo.

Comment

Margo I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your process of tackling these wonderful quilts. And what jewels you have turned them into! Some of the stitching and 'creative tucks' reminded me of my very early work in quilting. ops: I love the idea of you displaying them at the quilt show in your MIL's assisted living area. I am certain that they will all enjoy seeing them, and others too. You must be really pleased to have completed them all particularly as some of the fabrics were so fragile. Congratulations.

Comment

I wish we could see the ten quilts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltlady54
              I wish we could see the ten quilts!!

What do you think, Margo? Do you have time to make a Smilebox? You know we'd love it!

Comment

All the photos are already here!! Not much to add.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'm sorry I must have come in on this thread in the middle....I see them now.. Lovely!

Comment

Hi Margo,

I have an antique log cabin quilt top much like yours. It is scrappy, in the barn raising layout, foundation pieced and in great condition. I want to handquilt it, because I am afraid that machine quilting might de-value it--I'm a novice machine quilter. However, it would take me forever to handquilt it--it's almost 100" square. I'd prefer not to have it quilted by checkbook.

A quilt appraiser dated it for me and suggests that I use flannel or a very lightweight batting because of all of the seams and the foundation. It appears as if multiple quilters provided the blocks because the foundation backings and threads of each block are different. I found this top at an antique store for a real steal, so I do not have any history on it. There is a photo of it on my profile.

Anyway, I'm wondering how you decided upon the allover quilt design? Also, what type of batting did you use?

Comment

Nancy, That quilt is absolutely beautiful. I'd research old quilts to choose a design. What fun it would be to work on especially if it were made by so many different quilters. You would find something new and interesting in each and every block. Choose something that is heavenly to needle and enjoy the process. It might go faster than you think.

Comment

Nancy, you found a real beauty! I agree with the appraiser about using a lightweight batting or flannel...for the batting, not the backing!! And be sure to prewash any flannel because it shrinks a LOT!

I used Hobb's Heirloom (80/20) on all of these antique quilts and like how they turned out.

As for the quilting design, on my last log cabin, I really do wish I had chosen something more traditional. Something like a simple Baptist Fan would have been more appropriate for this quilt. If you are hand quilting, that would be a great choice, and easy to do! Have fun with it and be sure to keep us posted!

Bonnie Hunter's tutorial may help: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...s-on-fans.html

Comment

Nancy,
                          How fun! Wonder if you could do a quilting bee with your guild? If there is a frame you could roll it on...many hands
                          make light work. And then it would be quilted in the same manner it was pieced.

Comment

Great idea Roseanne!

Comment

Margo, thank you for sharing those great quilt tops and the process to finishing them and the very creative ways how you handled their issues. You turned them into beautiful quilts that I'm sure will be treasured. I wish I could go see them when you have them on display :mrgreen: . Surely they'll bring joy to the viewers

Comment

I have been researching antique log cabin quilts, but surprisingly there are not many photos that show the quilting details. Also, I have found few to see up close and none of those used lightweight fabrics in half-inch logs like mine. However, a Baptist Fan all over quilting design was one that I was considering because it's traditional and seems fairly easy.

Many hands would make it easier, but I really would like to complete it on my own.

Thanks for your inputs.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 115 users online. 0 members and 115 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X