[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Circles and Pumpkin Seed FMQ

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renata, something else to think about is that when you wash your fabric and it shrinks--those circles will look even better.

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
      I ascribe to the theory that those circles don't
      have to be perfect ! to look GREAT !
      Ditto!

Comment

Thank you, Marilyn, Ritzy and Lois! I now know what quilt I'm going to work this pattern into--will post when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
          Originally posted by wyomingquilter
          Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
          I am so bad at it that I just don't know if I will ever be able to do them for real.
          :roll: :shock: LOLOLO :lol: :lol: I can't believe you wrote that, we are going to eat you alive on that one Rita! :lol:
          Honestly Sherry, if I was going to do that I would have to draw every square and every circle and even then I would not be able to stay on the lines. I know that I did about a million circles on my Chocolate Ganache quilt but not one of them wasn't wonky. You have such a steady hand (maybe it's all that hunting with a rifle!).
          Rita, guess what, you dont have to stay on the lines!
          And if they are not drawn on the quilt, no one will know if they are not perfect. not you, and not the viewers of your quilts! In Diane Gaudynski's book on machine quilting, she shows how to make this design- hers are not absolutely perfect if you look at them closely. But, they look fantastic. Believe it or not, it's often harder to stay on a drawn line than to strike out into uncharted territory.

Gosh, if I had to be perfect, I'd be pretty depressed, since that's not ever gonna happen!

Kathy, going back to my Pineapple blocks now (thank goodness for that ruler!)

Comment

Sherry, what's the size of those pumpkin seeds? I'm going right over to Sherry's website to check this out. I love this pattern!
            And yours looks pretty darned good, keep up the good work.
            Kathy

Comment

Rita, done is better than perfect!

Perfection is overrated.

There really is no perfection on this human level.

Need I say more???

GO FOR IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
                Sherry, what's the size of those pumpkin seeds? I'm going right over to Sherry's website to check this out. I love this pattern!
                And yours looks pretty darned good, keep up the good work.
                Kathy
                I don't have a website, but did a blog on them, aptly named circles, lol. They are 3/4" circles Kathy.

Everyone is exactly right, we aren't computers, we are human and nothings perfect--doesn't mean ya can't strive for a perfect circle tho :wink:
                this design hides the imperfections very well! By the time you have 400 circles overlapping--they add up fast, lol--they are going to look pretty darn awesome. Don't give up after a few circles or even rows. after you go back and add the second set of circles, it's hard to find the really wonky ones :wink:

Comment

3/4 inch is a perfect size, not too big to keep decent control. I've stippled a little for background, but I quilt so densely that I haven't needed to do much background quilting. On the other hand, with feathers and other more formal designs, which I just love, they do need something to hold down the surrounding area.

I'll go over and look at your blog post, Sherry. Thanks for putting it up!
                  Katjy

Comment

Renata, beautiful work!! Regarding thread, try some silk in the top and so fine or masterpiece in the bobbin. The finer thread does a much better job of hiding stops, starts and over stitching lines. Silk also has some sheen so it adds a nice luster to the background. Save your King Tut thread for motifs that you want to stand alone in an area. You are doing so well!!!! You are also right about Sherry being a gem to share her technique. I'm planning to try her pumpkin seeds too!!

Comment

Thank you, Terry! I actually have some Superior Kimono Silk 100 wt and Masterpiece in the same color--I will play with that. I plan to do the pumpkin seed in the light beige areas of the quilt I had previously shared (attached for convenience). Can I use silk there and King Tut in the ocean waves area in the bottom or should I stick to the same type of thread throughout the quilt? There's a local quilt show very close to my house starting tomorrow and Superior Threads will have a vendor. If I need more silk, that would be the time to get it.

If anyone has any suggestions to add to what I was thinking for quilting in any of the other sections, please let me know! I've stitched in the ditch to stabilize and now I'm ready to go (catching up on four months' worth of Sedona Star took precedence but now I think I can balance both, I hope... :wink: )

Comment

Absolutely you can vary the threads-- I actually prefer to do that as it gives a variety to the quilting. Awesome quilt Renata, i know you will do a fantastic job quilting it too!!

Comment

Hi Renata - Beautiful quilt! I often use a variety of threads on my quilts. Just like fabric, you put together whatever threads will do what you want them to do. I like to use a heavy thread in contrasting color for quilting that I want the world to see. Then switch to thinner thread in a matching color for background texture. And don't forget to throw in some metallics for a little sparkle!! Do you see why my thread stash is getting to be as big as my fabric stash????

Nancy

Comment

Renata, that quilt is beautiful and I think that the pumpkin seed pattern will be perfect. You might need more thread anyway and if there is going to be a Superior threads stand nearby....

Comment

I am liking it too, Renata. What a beautiful quilt! Its going to inspire your stitching to become even better than it is already. Listen to the music. Get in a zone and just do it! Good luck.

Comment

Renata, what a beautiful quilt! Would your King Tut work as "ghost" waves in the lower right corner--you bet! I like Nancy's idea of incorporating metallic thread too. . .maybe around the moon to give it some glow! I think you will like the effect that you get with the silk thread in the beige areas. What fun you are going to have quilting on this project. Please keep us posted as your work progresses!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 203 users online. 0 members and 203 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X