[vb_main_1]

Circles and Pumpkin Seed FMQ

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circles and Pumpkin Seed FMQ

Sherry Reynolds kindly put on her blog information on how she does circles and pumpkin seed FMQ. While my stitches are starting to become more regular, I still have a hard time with everything else. I have wanted to do the pumpkin seed quilting but had no idea where to start. With Sherry's explanation, it became so much more manageable. So here is my first attempt at pumpkin seed FMQ--the circles are still not round but I figured that with practice they'll get better. So, here's to you, Sherry! Thanks for teaching and inspiring me!

Renata - It looks beautiful! Any irregularities in the circles really get lost in the texture. I think you're ready to use this on a qult.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
      Renata - It looks beautiful! Any irregularities in the circles really get lost in the texture. I think you're ready to use this on a qult.

Nancy
      I agree with Nancy. Not that I am a pro but I have found that once I put something I've been practicing on a piece that really matters the quality of the work takes a leap forward. I think it is the frugal PA Dutch in me that doesn't want to waste time and material on something that doesn't really matter. Lois

Comment

Thank you both, Lois and Nancy. I tend to be frugal too but I'm too much of a perfectionist... so I will practice myself into oblivion, given the chance. I guess I need to put something on a quilt, huh?

Comment

Look at you Renata!!! That would be a big WAY TO GO!!! in total agreement with the others, the irregularities get lost in the overall design---just take a close view of mine I am so proud of you for "taking the bull by the horns"!

I simply showed how i do it Renata, you found it by yourself!!!

Comment

Oh, thanks, Sherry! Looking at your pictures really helped me "get it" in principle. So, whenever you can, keep the pictures coming because you know I am studying them and trying new things out. I know that with time (practice ) I'll get better. I don't get bored practicing, I'm really having fun, and unlike several months ago, I'm actually seeing the improvement, even though I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be.

Comment

That is just terrific Renata! I have tried drawing them on paper but I am so bad at it that I just don't know if I will ever be able to do them for real. You are well on the way. Again, again, again! (As my daughter always used to say when she enjoyed something.)

Comment

Renata, I agree with the others: Your pumpkinseeds are wonderful!! Yes, PPP (practice, practice, practice) is the key, but at some point quilting the design on a 'real' quilt will propel you forward too. I think you are at that point. Remember, most likely you will be doing this design in MATCHING thread, not contrasting. That will give you a much better result too! And a thin thread, if you are not already using one (like So Fine).

Perhaps you can do this on a small wall hanging piece that is a step above a muslin sandwich, but not so precious as a larger quilt. That would be the next step IMHO.

I know you can do it!!

Comment

No worry, Rita... "again, again, again" is no problem for me since it translates into "practice, practice, practice!" :lol: :lol: :lol: It's funny, I was really tempted to draw the circles into the squares but decided not to because I probably would not be able to follow the line anyway :lol: but I discovered that once the first set of circles were done (the hardest part), then if I just looked ahead at the next intersection and did somewhat of a curve in the direction of that next point (you know, don't look at the needle, look at where you're heading), it started being more fun (and even a little more successful, even if still wonky). Rita, you HAVE TO TRY IT! It's FUN! (look who's talking, right?)

Michelle, you and others who commented are right--deep down I know it. I need to get this onto a quilt. I kind of had it in mind for my Chinese round robin quilt, Rabbit in the Moon, and that is why I was practicing it. Even though we call it, among other things, a pumpkin seed stitch, in the Japanese sashiko world, it is known as Buddha's Seven Treasures. So I thought, wouldn't it be fitting in some of the light beige spaces of that quilt. I had not thought beyond King Tut 40 wt. but I think you are right about a light weight thread. How about Aurifil 50 wt.? I have a color that would match the fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                    I am so bad at it that I just don't know if I will ever be able to do them for real.
                    :roll: :shock: LOLOLO :lol: :lol: I can't believe you wrote that, we are going to eat you alive on that one Rita! :lol:

Comment

Renata, your pumpkin seeds look beautiful. Just go use them on a project and you'll be fine. I'm sure Aurifil will be fine. I used that to quilt my 2008 BOM and it worked very well

living in Central Denmark
                      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thank you, Norma. I actually used Aurifil 50 wt in the practice piece because it is what I happened to have in the machine. I think Michelle is correct about using a color that blends into the fabric--it will be nice as background and will definitely mask any mistakes I make :lol:

Comment

Hi Renata - I agree that this is the perfect pattern for an Asian quilt. I've seen it on some and it really looks good and fits with the theme. I didn't know the Japanese name for the pattern, but that certainly does fit for a treasure of a quilt.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by wyomingquilter
                            Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                            I am so bad at it that I just don't know if I will ever be able to do them for real.
                            :roll: :shock: LOLOLO :lol: :lol: I can't believe you wrote that, we are going to eat you alive on that one Rita! :lol:
                            Honestly Sherry, if I was going to do that I would have to draw every square and every circle and even then I would not be able to stay on the lines. I know that I did about a million circles on my Chocolate Ganache quilt but not one of them wasn't wonky. You have such a steady hand (maybe it's all that hunting with a rifle!).

Comment

I ascribe to the theory that those circles don't
                              have to be perfect ! to look GREAT !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X