2014 BOM started

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by rosamondac
      It would be a good idea if the ones that purchased the kit would double check their fabric. It was brought to my attention by another member that the medium gold fabric states in the instructions that we should have a 1/2 yard piece. She mentioned that she only got a fat quarter. I just came upstairs to start work on my project and double checked my medium gold piece. It also was only a fat quarter. I am hoping that when the shop opens this morning, they can answer my questions about the missing tan fabric plus the smaller piece of medium gold fabric. It would just be a good idea to doublecheck the fabric along with the instructions.

Well thanks for that reminder! I finished ironing and refolding the fabrics and went through and checked that I had them all. I DID NOT check the quantity. I'll go do that now.

Was there problems getting some of the fusibles like Steam a Seam? I vaguely remember that conversation awhile ago. I will need to get some as I don't think I have enough for all the applique. The other option is to use the glue/liquid thread that one of the guests on one of the shows used to do her applique. I'll have to go back and look for that one.

Lorna

Comment

Well--half-size ladies. I can use all the help I can get. I know it will be just as much work(maybe more) but I just don't need another big quilt. I don't have wall space to hang one that size. So, I will wait and see how you are doing yours. I am going to try and use Photoshop to do the re-sizing but am not adept with using it. Annis just sent me some directions that I am going to try and use--printed them--and see if I can get it to work. Can't hurt to try. I am not as computer literate as others on the site so there may be a better or easier way that I am not aware of.

Comment

Lorna, Hancock's of Paducah has Steam a Seam and the Lite.

Comment

I am so excited to start on the 2014 BOM. I have the kit and have washed and starched all the fabric and checked my 1/4" seams. I have the borders ready, but I am lost as to the yellow 'flange' (it is hard for me to see a yellow flange in the photo). Is it outside the black dotted border? Also, is it 'yellow Ref #17"? If so, there is 1/2 yd of 'yellow" and if cut on the lengthwise grain, then all the strips will be 18" and it will have lots of piecing if it goes around the border.

Can't wait to get sewing.

Irene

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
              Well--half-size ladies. I can use all the help I can get. I know it will be just as much work(maybe more) but I just don't need another big quilt. I don't have wall space to hang one that size. So, I will wait and see how you are doing yours. I am going to try and use Photoshop to do the re-sizing but am not adept with using it. Annis just sent me some directions that I am going to try and use--printed them--and see if I can get it to work. Can't hurt to try. I am not as computer literate as others on the site so there may be a better or easier way that I am not aware of.
              Ritzy,

Since "half-size" might give "funky" measurements, I might change some measurements - which will change the ratio from the background fabric, in order to have a better handle on the block itself. I will use "good old" pencil and paper - since I plan to paper piece as much as I can, this will help too. I'll post as soon as I have a result. I may use EQ7 as well...
              You are right, it might be even more work, but I too don't need another large quilt like this one. This is going to be fun!

Andrée

Comment

I am waiting in eager anticipation, Andree!

Comment

Irene, The flange should actually be cut out of the lime green #27 (4758-01). Apparently that mistake never got corrected, but it was a last minute decision on my part to change the flange to lime green instead of yellow. The flange is in the binding. You can see it in the picture of the quilt that is in the introduction. I'm excited that some of you may be making this into a wall hanging! I considered doing that to begin with, but was voted down. I'll be here on the forum to answer any questions you all might have. Happy quilting!
                  Back to Quilting!

Comment

Lime green will be perfect. Thank you for the quick response. Irene

Comment

I'm curious to know when we are going to get our 2014 forum up and running instead of having to message in the 2013 BOM area!?!? I know some of us are already getting our blocks made and I'm anxious to see what everyone is doing! :lol:

Rosamond

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon

Thanks, Susan. I'll order a bunch from them.
                        Ok, I went back through my fabrics and have enough yardage for each. I do note that when the directions say "1/4 yd" or 1/8 yd" that they are fat 1/4s and fat 1/8s. Fabric for the A block is starched.

Janet, thanks for the clarification on the color. I'll make mark that change on the instructions. I still need to tear by borders. I haven't really been one to tear my fabric and that makes me nervous.

So excited!

Lorna

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna1021
                          Originally posted by suehenyon

Thanks, Susan. I'll order a bunch from them.
                          Ok, I went back through my fabrics and have enough yardage for each. I do note that when the directions say "1/4 yd" or 1/8 yd" that they are fat 1/4s and fat 1/8s. Fabric for the A block is starched.

Janet, thanks for the clarification on the color. I'll make mark that change on the instructions. I still need to tear by borders. I haven't really been one to tear my fabric and that makes me nervous.

So excited!

Lorna
                          Hope you have a ripping time
                          :lol:

Comment

When I first looked for the BlocLoc flying geese, I only saw a set for $62.00. Thanks to Judy for posting another site.

Janet, how many different rulers did you use for this quilt? Could you list them by name? Thanks!

Comment

I used the 2 x 4, 1x 2, and 1 1/2 x 3, all finished sizes. I love their rulers! I think TQS is going to be selling the set of three that I used for the BOM quilt.
                              Back to Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
                                I am waiting in eager anticipation, Andree!
                                Hi! Call me crazy, but I just love the quilting math (oops, playing with words here! :lol: )

Just to deal with expectations: when I say half size, I really mean "quarter" size: half width, and half height. So instead of a 69 X 82 quilt, I will have 34 1/2 X 41. Whereas a "true" 50% would mean to multiply the height and width by 70.7% (around 48.75 X 57.5) which is still a too big quilt for me.

I should have something over the weekend. As soon as the forum is created for BOM2014, I'll post what I have.

Andrée

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X