[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

2014 BOM started

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, there is now a Forum Topic for Ewe and Me! WHOO-HOO!!
    Hopefully we will get a Show and Tell link soon.

Please post new topics here: forum/bom-2014-a-z-for-ewe-and-me

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

'Dusie' have you thought about how you might do the borders if you QAYG? I can see how you would do the main body of the quilt because you could break it down into 3 large sections or several smaller ones because of the sashing, but I am not sure how you would do the continuous borders unless you put sashing in to separate them too.

Comment

Andree--yes, I was talking about 34 1/2" x 41". I am not good at the math part. That is why I am trying to get my computer to help. I used the directions that Annis gave me and I believe I was able to make the letters 1/2 size. I have to print them out to be sure but have to replace the ink in my printer. We will see! Anyway, I am probably be watching what you do very carefully and if you allow--"borrow" your paper piecing idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
          Andree--yes, I was talking about 34 1/2" x 41". I am not good at the math part. That is why I am trying to get my computer to help. I used the directions that Annis gave me and I believe I was able to make the letters 1/2 size. I have to print them out to be sure but have to replace the ink in my printer. We will see! Anyway, I am probably be watching what you do very carefully and if you allow--"borrow" your paper piecing idea.
          Working on it right now!

Once your letters are printed, make sure the square is 1/2 inch (instead of 1").

Andrée

Comment

Andrée, I can feel your excitement about the math. I'm with you there. The feeling when everything goes together nicely is priceless . I am looking forward to see you teaching Ritzy how this is done

living in Central Denmark
            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
              'Dusie' have you thought about how you might do the borders if you QAYG? I can see how you would do the main body of the quilt because you could break it down into 3 large sections or several smaller ones because of the sashing, but I am not sure how you would do the continuous borders unless you put sashing in to separate them too.
              Hi Rita -

You can actually do quilt-as-you-go without sashing strips. I did this with Maureen's mug rug since I had a small quilted piece that I wanted to make larger with borders. Hopefully I can explain the process in words since I don't have any pictures.

- Place your front border piece on top of the main piece, right sides together.
              - Place your backing piece, same size as the front border piece, on the back of the main piece, right sides together.
              - Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.
              - Place batting piece flush against edge of quilted piece and sew together using zig-zag stitch.
              - Fold front border piece and backing piece over and quilt. I ironed the fabric to get a good edge and used a little basting spray to hold in place better.

Repeat for the other side and then for the top and bottom.

For the BOM, you could add the appliques after attaching the border in this fashion.

Nancy

Comment

Rita, the first 2 quilts in my profile were both made as quilt as you go, without any sashing to be seen.

The white & brown one, after making up the squares I machined the fronts together in strips, then I laid the wadding flat over each other at the seams and cut through both layers using shears (be sure not to cut the front layer!) so that they lay smoothly next to each other. I then overcast this by hand leaving about 1/2" at each end for trimming when I joined the strips together. Next I smoothed down one layer of lining, put the next-to-it lining over the top and tucked in the raw edge, I probably pinned this in place and then slip stitched it, being particularly careful not to go through the wadding at the ends where I would need access to the individual layers when I sewed the strips together.

Because I got so bored with slip stitching the lining on the first one, I worked out a different method for lining the second quilt by turning the lining layer 45 degrees and worked out how to stitch it down by machine, but to explain that and be understanderble would probably need a full on blog post with photos... :roll:

Comment

Nancy and Rosemary, thanks for both of your suggestions. You know it was only as I was reading them that I realized that I had done it myself too, Duh! :roll:

Comment

The bloc-loc rulers ARE worth the price.... I have a small collection of HST ones- work fantastic.... didn't find the flying geese at a local quilt store yesterday- but DID discover that I have Eleanor Burns flying geese in ALL the right sizes.... for those on a budget [like myself] you may check to see if you have the correct sizes of hers- I'm sure the Bloc-locs are easier,... but, someday, sigh
                    I always have wanted to do the TQS BOM- but this is my first time- Thrilled with the detailed instructions- thanks Janet!... loe the mixture of traditional blocks in an ABC quilt.
                    Good luck to all you downsizing gals.... you are definitely BETTER than me!!!!
                    Yeah, I have all of the piecing done, moving to Applicay tomorrow.....

Comment

Nope--not better than you since you are already to applique and I am still playing with figuring out the math.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy

Nope--not better than you since you are already to applique and I am still playing with figuring out the math.
                        Ritzy,

I'm almost done with the math, should be sewing tomorrow (to make sure they are correct). I'll post as soon as I have the first panel done. Pretty sure it will be the Flying geese...

Andrée

Comment

I know I said there was absolutely no way I could do this quilt, but I am reconsidering. I am already working on an alphabet quilt using my Block of the Week patterns. Tonight I decided maybe I would need a 2nd one to go with it to use in my retreat center. (Actually I just didn't want to do what I'm supposed to be doing and figured there wasn't any reason to waste the time!) I will be using batik fabrics. That's the only fabric I have at my city home. I will not be doing the appliqué border. I have decided to increase the blocks to 125% so it will still be twin size. That has worked out for this month's blocks. Maybe it will work for the others too. Also since I don't have any fusible or tearaway (it's at my home in the country), but I do have freezer paper, I will be sewing the appliqués on with frayed edges. I am cutting them a little larger so I can sew 1/8" from the edge. My goal is to make the quilt using what I have on hand, including thread. I may have to purchase some light fabrics though. My pieces are now cut and ready to sew. I think choosing the fabrics and cutting the pieces is half the work so one more evening of sewing should finish this month. We will see if my schedule will allow me to continue. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing, especially the half size blocks.

Comment

WooHoo Annis!

Comment

:shock:
                              Annis going bigger???
                              Who are you and what have you done with our Annis???
                              :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

LOL!!! I'm suddenly needing lots of twin size quilts. I have bins full of quilts, but most of them are lap size or smaller. I'm even looking at ways to increase the size on tops that haven't been quilted yet. Don't worry. This is just temporary. I will be back to miniature soon. Now it's time to go spend that Kohl's cash that expires today and get the Christmas tree down and do all of that other stuff I'm supposed to be doing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 87 users online. 0 members and 87 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X