[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

January 2010

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those doing Hand Applique, have any of you tried Ami Simms' Invisible Applique method for your stitching ? I can do needle turn, I'm just slow as molasses, and am thinking I might be a little faster with Ami's method---and probably a whole lot more accurate.

Thanks for any feedback !

Sue

Comment

For those doing Hand Applique, have any of you tried Ami Simms' Invisible Applique method for your stitching ? I can do needle turn, I'm just slow as molasses, and am thinking I might be a little faster with Ami's method---and probably a whole lot more accurate.
      Hi Sue, I have used Ami's method and loved it. When I was trying hard to learn hand applique, that was the one technique I could make work. Since then, however, I have switched to regular needleturn applique and that's working better for me. Recently, I picked up (to finish) a piece that I had started before Christmas last year using Ami's method, and I found that it wasn't tacked down very well. I think it was more because I was making my stitches too big than any fault with the method per se, but I was glad I'm now doing needleturn. I was lucky enough to attend a week's class with Suzanne Marshall in September (at Asilomar), and I'm really comfortable with all of her methods. Hope that helps some. Best, Robin

Comment

Margo - do you know what the minium fabric requirement is to do only the swags. I have a fabric I'd like to use but only have 1 yard. Will that work? Thanks for all your advice on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by pegjo
          Margo - do you know what the minium fabric requirement is to do only the swags. I have a fabric I'd like to use but only have 1 yard. Will that work? Thanks for all your advice on this forum.
          Pegjo, the December directions call for 2-1/2 yard for the swags and the cornerstone flowers, so I doubt that 1 yard will be enough. Maybe you can use your fabric to add a scalloped edge and a different fabric for the main swag, like I did on my quilt? Sue's pattern calls for just one fabric.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by SueinNH

Sue
            Sue, I sometimes use Ami's Invisible Applique stitches when I'm doing straight lines, but there are lots of curves on these blocks, and I'm not sure how well it would work there. Try it and see! It might work just fine for you!

Comment

Thanks, Robin and Margo !! I know so much of what we do is individual, just thought I'd see what kind of experiences are out there.

I do love any kind of handwork, but tend to be pretty slow due to the nerve damage from my neck. So if one method was much faster than another---with quality being equal---that would certainly sway me. If they are just different but the same for quality and speed, I will definitely be trying out each one to see. I've raided the library system of all the hand applique books and see what other tips and tricks I can accumulate while I wait for it to be fabric buying time.

Our cars have decided funds should be spent on them----I would protest louder, but if I had to walk everywhere, then I wouldn't have time to quilt any way :wink: , so repair we must.

Thanks again, Sue

Comment

Sue
                I don't know anything about Ami Simms' method. Is there a place on the web that shows this method?
                Charlotte (charmart)

Comment

Originally posted by Charmart

Sue
                  I don't know anything about Ami Simms' method. Is there a place on the web that shows this method?
                  Charlotte (charmart)
                  Charlotte, you can order Ami's book here:

http://www.amisimms.com/inap.html

And here is a video showing the basic stitch, but this demo is not applique. She is just closing a little pillow (beanbag?). That is the type of chore that I often use the ladder stitch for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjOXMuTFXo

Comment

Hi Charlotte, If you belong to QNNTV, I first saw a program there where Ami demonstrated it (a program with Jody Davis -- I think it's about 15 minutes or so). I don't know if you can see it without being a member, though.
                    Robin

Comment

Originally posted by RGold
                      Hi Charlotte, If you belong to QNNTV, I first saw a program there where Ami demonstrated it (a program with Jody Davis -- I think it's about 15 minutes or so). I don't know if you can see it without being a member, though.
                      Robin
                      I watched that same video and you do have to be a member. It was very informative.

Comment

Wel I completed the first blocks for Star Crazy and now onto ox's. I had cut out all the pieces before and just need to get started. I have made 2 mistakes already. I stuck the stems on over the light box and the Roxanne Glue stuck to the paper so when I went to take it off bits of the paper stuck to the back of the fabric. I got it off, then went to sew and realized with my white on white I had put the leaves on the backside of the fabric. Oh well I set that aside furtuneatly I have plenty of the background and have now started another not making the same mistakes. it is meant to be a learning experience isn't it

Comment

Margo the piping on your quilt is just gorgeous! What a great idea!

Comment

Just like everyone to know that the frustration for me is that it is already the first of the month here in OZ 11;30am and I have to wait till the you guys over there hit the 1st before i can get instructions 'no fair'. to make matters worse today is a day of for me. Oh dear I must live in the wrong hemishere!!!!

Comment

I posted my January Hugs and Kisses BOM on the Bom gallery last night. I plan to do table runners with the BOM blocks in combinations of the best colors for my family members. Love this first block so may repeat it in a different color wave. Any way would love to have comments. Hugs, Ann

Comment

Say Margo! I'm itching to keep working. Something about this BOM deal makes me want to keep up. I'm thinking I want to go ahead and work on the cornerstone blocks. Is that flower the same one that's in February block? It looks really similar to me.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 155 users online. 0 members and 155 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X