[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

January 2010

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margo...my pdf file must have been corrupted when I downloaded it from TQS. There's the pattern as big as it needs to be when I looked at it on the site. ops:

Did I mention that I have a new laptop too with Windows 7 on it? Adobe Reader 9.2 has been causing me major grief.

And no I didn't win the lottery or trade DH in for a Sugar Daddy--I just think the old laptop took one look at the 830 and decided to give up the ghost.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Hey Libbi! I'm looking forward to seeing how the digitized blocks turn out. You are right....those Big Boys need to start paying for themselves!
      I'm confused about your PDF files. Did you figure out how to get them downloaded at the right size?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Yes Margo I got everything to behave nicely and print out true to size. I have the 1st block all digitized and ready for testing. But I have to wait until tomorrow .

The Swiss have noise laws that dictate the hours of the day and days of the week when you can run machinery etc. that may disturb your neighbors. I live in a top floor flat and the eldery man in the flat downstairs is not well. It's Sunday and though these neighbors are very tolerant, I want to be considerate. The 830 embroidery system puts out some serious vibration when it gets going. I've been on a 3 day hiatus from sewing. Jan.2 is also a federal holiday here and today is Sunday...but tomorrow is a new day And I'm ready to go!

Libbi

Comment

Originally posted by Libbi
          Yes Margo I got everything to behave nicely and print out true to size. I have the 1st block all digitized and ready for testing. But I have to wait until tomorrow .

The Swiss have noise laws that dictate the hours of the day and days of the week when you can run machinery etc. that may disturb your neighbors. I live in a top floor flat and the eldery man in the flat downstairs is not well. It's Sunday and though these neighbors are very tolerant, I want to be considerate. The 830 embroidery system puts out some serious vibration when it gets going. I've been on a 3 day hiatus from sewing. Jan.2 is also a federal holiday here and today is Sunday...but tomorrow is a new day And I'm ready to go!

Libbi
          How kind of you to schedule your noise!! :wink:

In the meantime, enjoy that fabulous view you have!

Comment

Please be sure to read this post about Sue:

forum/index

Comment

I just want to say that I'm on board with "Hugs & Kisses." I will be doing needle-turn applique because (1) I love doing it, and (2), I can take it to work with me! I purchased the fabric from my LQS, at a great New Year's Day sale! Good timing, huh?

Comment

OK Margo, I did my test stitchout of the January block. The photos are in My Profile. I used scrap fabrics and you can see the placement lines. I don't know what colors I am going to use.

I reved the 830 up to maximum speed once I got comfortable with the process and more confident with my digitized applique. YIKES! I don't think it would pass the quiet time rules here.

Comment

Well! How cool is that!!! It looks like this is a great design to do on an embroidery machine!! Well done, Libbi!

You need to post it on the BOM Show & Tell!

Comment

Wow, Libbi - you are good! Are you sure you need that version 6 software? Did you see on the Bernina blog that they have directions for digitizing redwork - might be fun to try with Alex's redwork.

Comment

Sherry, of course I need it DH says "need" has very little to do with it. His motto is "more power." You should see what he has lined up to buy for playing his online game. Alienware? :roll: At least what I do produces a tangible product.

Comment

I don't think enough people have told you how wonderful you are in "the dime" (I heard that was the cool way to say 2010). Thanks for all you do, Margo!

Your tutorial is great!

Since you mentioned Sharon earlier - can you compare and contrast for us Ricky's leave-in applique foundation material with Sharon's? Or is Ricky's stuff discussed somewhere else? Shame on me, ops: but I've never used it before...

I have felt Ricky's quilts before, but I don't know whether they'd been laundered or not.

Comment

Margo thank you for the tutorial. I like how you did you quilt with the sashings. Would you let me copy your design? If you will let me copy will you help me with the logistics of how to go about doing it? If it would take up to much of your time I can just stick with Sue's design. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
                            I don't think enough people have told you how wonderful you are in "the dime" (I heard that was the cool way to say 2010). Thanks for all you do, Margo!

Your tutorial is great!

Since you mentioned Sharon earlier - can you compare and contrast for us Ricky's leave-in applique foundation material with Sharon's? Or is Ricky's stuff discussed somewhere else? Shame on me, ops: but I've never used it before...

I have felt Ricky's quilts before, but I don't know whether they'd been laundered or not.
                            Hey Keith! Long time/no see!! Thanks for the kudos!

I have used both Sharon's stabilizer and Ricky's and think that they are pretty much the same thing. Ricky's has been available through the TQS Shoppe in 8-1/2"x11" sheets so they can be run through a printer which is wonderful if that's how you are going to use it. For this project, however, I found that to be wasteful, and asked Pati to stock it on rolls by the yard, and she has! So you can now order it 28" wide by whatever yardage you need. Check it out here: https://www.thequiltshowshoppe.com/?a=VP&id=376

I love working with Stable Stuff like this! It makes it so much easier to turn the edges under, there is nothing to remove, it doesn't add stiffness after it's laundered, and adds just the slightest extra filling to prevent the shapes from looking real flat.

I don't know if Ricky's quilts have been laundered or not, but I think that a lot of his applique quilts have used Steam-A-Seam II, which is a fusible product, with raw edges. The Stable Stuff is NOT a fusible.

Try it! You'll like it!

Comment

Originally posted by vernalgrandma
                              Margo thank you for the tutorial. I like how you did you quilt with the sashings. Would you let me copy your design? If you will let me copy will you help me with the logistics of how to go about doing it? If it would take up to much of your time I can just stick with Sue's design. Thanks
                              Thanks vernalgrandma! You are more than welcome to copy my sashings! When you get to that point (in December) you can use anything you want in the sashings! Sue's design uses sashing strips that finish 4" x 12". My sashing strips are smaller, and finish 3"x12" which is why my entire quilt has a more "chunky" look to it. I knew I wanted to use 9-Patches for cornerstones and strips for the sashing, but didn't want to fool with the math to make them fit the 4" space! I'm mathematically challenged, so this was just the easy way out for me! The only problem you will have is that if you reduce the size of the sashing strips, Sue's design for the swag border will need to be adjusted, or it won't fit.

I hope that all of you will make design decisions that will make this quilt uniquely yours. Just be aware that changes in size will affect everything that comes after that decision.

Like Ricky says in his seminars. "You have a brain! Use it!"

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Comment

Aaahhh! It must have been the fusible I was feeling then... That makes sense.

Ricky's Stable Stuff is poly - how funny that I should even bat an eye at that - I use monofilament thread all the time! I will definitely try it!! Thanks, Margo!

M: Work very much gets in the way of my life from August thru December... It could be worse, work could interfere all year instead of just support. =) It's nice to have time to be human again.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 171 users online. 0 members and 171 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X