[vb_main_1]

January 2010

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 2010

OK folks! HUGS & KISSES!!! Once again I was able to pre-test Sue's patterns and once again I made many changes! In fact, my quilt sorta looks like a distant cousin! :lol:

Sue gives fabulous detailed instructions for needle-turned hand applique, but I decided to use "mock hand applique" for mine which is done by machine. They are both great methods, and there are still lots of other techniques that will work. Use whatever works for you, and change the design to make it yours.
    We are both looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

If you are interested, I've posted tutorials on my Webshots album:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

If you have questions and/or comments, please post them here and we can work it out together.

SEW LONG!
    Margo

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Margo -- I just viewed your tutorial for Hugs and Kisses. You are awesome. But I am not familiar with Liquid Stitch. I assume you get that at LQS, could you take a moment and show what you do with that product. You mentioned the thread was slippery, what does this product do for that.

Thanks, Happy New Year, Sharon

Comment

Thanks, Sharon! Liquid Stitch is a Dritz product used by Sharon Schamber in several of her techniques. You can get it from her site, maybe from your LQS, or from JoAnn's and I think I've seen it at Hobby Lobby.
      I use it like Fray Check to keep slippery threads from unraveling or unstitching because it is permanent and isn't supposed to yellow over time, like Fray Check can. It dries clear. You could also gift it to someone who doesn't sew for clothes that come unstitched! :wink:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd274584

Comment

Margo, of course I posted my comment to the Star Crazy forun when it should have been here--it's still early today!

I also hadn't heard of Liquid Stitch--that's a good product to try.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Not a problem, Barbara. I expect there will be a lot of that until we get used to the new forum categories! I posted the answer on the other page!

Comment

Margo, Thanks for sharing anothere great tutorial with us ! I love how your quilt turned out--the brown and pink combo is just lovely.

I'm planning on doing needle-turn for the applique. Should those of us doing it post questions here, or should we start another forum category for the hand applique-ers ?

I'll be following along here, too, so I can keep learning your technique, too.

Thanks !

Sue

Comment

Let's try to keep all the discussion about HUGS & KISSES on one topic. We may mention tips that could help everyone!

Comment

I am so excitedto start this year with the 2 BOM's I have cut out the first block for Hugs and Kisses already. I like both Sues and Margo's but I will do Sue's one first. I really liked the tutorial by Margo though as I am the sort of person who needs visual aids to explain things. happy quilting Rondie

Comment

Margo,
                  Thanks for showing us your methods for the machine applique. I have a question on how you folded your fabric to cut the bias binding. Can you explain more? This is one of the areas I have a bug of a time with.
                  Thanks
                  Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by mjgma
                    Margo,
                    Thanks for showing us your methods for the machine applique. I have a question on how you folded your fabric to cut the bias binding. Can you explain more? This is one of the areas I have a bug of a time with.
                    Thanks
                    Michelle
                    Michelle, I think that the easiest way to cut bias strips is to start with a square of fabric cut parallel and perpendicular to the selvage edge of the fabric. Then fold two opposite corners together to make a triangle. The folded edge is then the true bias of the fabric, and I cut straight lines from that fold. In the photo on my album, the straight grain is on the angled right side of the fabric. The edge I'm preparing to cut, as well as the bottom folded edge are on the bias grain of the fabric. I had started with a really big square and folded the first triangle a second time to get longer strips. Hope that helps!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...02889971zmrhBD

Comment

Hi Margo,
                      Thanks for the kind comment about my block. I'm just winging it through the process of digitizing.

I'm trying to figure out how close to go to the line around the block. The background of the blocks finishes at 12", correct? How close to the seam allowance do the appliques get?

Hmmm, maybe I need to study some other applique quilts, too.

Am I correct in assuming that we will square up the blocks to 12 1/2 inches?

Thanks for the time you spend answering our questions!
                      Susan

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
                        I'm trying to figure out how close to go to the line around the block. The background of the blocks finishes at 12", correct? How close to the seam allowance do the appliques get? Am I correct in assuming that we will square up the blocks to 12 1/2 inches?
                        Yes, the unfinished size is 12-1/2"x12-1/2" and each block will finish at 12"x12". Some of the applique shapes are VERY close to the seam line, so it helps to measure carefully before you stitch them down!

Comment

I'm curious. The stems on half the blocks are straight (no curves at all). So why do we make those on the bias? Does it matter on those whether you cut them on the bias, or cross-grain, or straight of grain?

Sandy

Comment

Nope! It doesn't matter on those. On the straight stems of the "kisses" blocks, straight of grain will be just fine. The curved stems on the "hugs" blocks need to be cut on the bias, or cut out of one large piece of fabric as a single unit!

Comment

Hi Margo...I and probably Sue are going to take this one step further and do applique in the hoop. Why not? I've got all this techno stuff so I should see what it (and I) can do. I started to digitize the first block from the photo. That's going OK but I went to find the full sized pattern Sue Garman mentions in the instructions to print out but I can't find it. ops: This will save me a few steps and better placement in the hoop. I will need two hoopings with the Bernina jumbo hoop.

Please help me find the pattern.

Libbi

PS. your color choices for the quilt are outstanding

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X