piecing a 45 degree diamond quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crocus999
    Now I'm scared :shock:
    Don't feel bad, Terrie, I looked at this and thought, "This makes absolutely no sense to me!"

It's so nice to appreciate other people's brains

Comment

Hmm...now I'm scared--I looked at it and said "oh, that makes sense".

Comment

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
        I'm totally out of it ! I do mine the regular strip-pieced way...but my mini is a UFO !

Comment

Mine is a UFO too. Buried somewhere in my stack of experimental blocks. The project is no longer on my to do list although I really would like to make more someday. No need to be scared. You cut the pieces to size like you would do regular piecing, adding a little extra for the outside edges so you can square it up. If you're putting the fabric pieces under the paper, you may want to cut them a little larger and pin or glue them so they don't shift, or even use tape as I sometimes do. Just remove the tape before pressing. For the mini I trim the seams to about 1/8" after they are sewn. The actual width of the diamond is just a little over 1/4". After you get the 8 units sewn, 4 of Unit A and 4 of Unit B, trim leaving 1/4" seam on the outside edges. Remove the paper as it gets in the way. You might be able to leave the paper on for sewing pairs together. It's been so long I don't remember how I did it. The hardest part is getting the seams lined up in the center, although it's really not any different than a pinwheel block.

Comment

Didn't Terry Sandolin demonstrate something like this in episode 511? I seem to recall she did miniatures with a method where you folded paper etc.

Comment

I think it's the same technique, but a different block! watch/watch-shows/video/show-511-mini-delights

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

The kit is on its way, so I'll let you know the method they suggest when I get it. Out of my comfort zone. :? - :roll: probably good.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

My folding method was a result of Anita Grossman Solomon's Make It Simpler books which were published in late 2003 and 2004. Of course I didn't make it simpler with these tiny block pieces. Both Lorraine Olsen's Little Lone Star Quilts and Terri Sandelin's Miniatures in Minutes were published in 2009. It's possible their inspiration came from the same source.

Another method for making this block is Quilt Smart's fusible interfacing http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/mo_lonestar.htm. I've never tried this method but it looks interesting.

Comment

All this talk and I want to make a mini of this block.

Comment

Another method for making this block is Quilt Smart's fusible interfacing http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/mo_lonestar.htm. I've never tried this method but it looks interesting.[/quote]

I've used this method...it uses a printed fusible interfacing...very accurate and fast !

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
                        That would look great in our version of BOM2014! I don't know if I could replace the "L" log cabin for a Lone Star?

Andrée

Comment

Oh--now that IS a good idea Andree!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
                            That would look great in our version of BOM2014! I don't know if I could replace the "L" log cabin for a Lone Star?

Andrée
                            That sounds like a great idea for further personalising - dare yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                              Originally posted by AndreeBergeron

Andrée
                              That sounds like a great idea for further personalising - dare yeah!
                              In may, we'll know what the exact size of that Log Cabin should be, but my eyes see about 5 inches on the regular size, so, on our version, that would be 2 1/2 inches...Unless we remove the background border and make it 3 1/2 inches .
                              Are you up to it Ritzy? :wink:

Andrée

Comment

Yep--you give me the numbers and I'll do it with you Andree!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 55 users online. 0 members and 55 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X