piecing a 45 degree diamond quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

piecing a 45 degree diamond quilt

Dear Quilters,
    I am piecing a quilt that is comprised of all 45 degree diamonds. I piece the diamonds into strips and then stitch the strips to make 8 sections that are pieced to make the entire quilt. The trouble I am having is piecing the strips. Any hints of how to match the seams when piecing the strips would be greatly appreciated. I am piecing the strips and end up off about 1/8 of an inch.

There must be a secret quilting tip. Would greatly appreciate insights. Thanks. ann c.

may be this can help you
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AliciasAttic

Comment

Check out the following episode.

http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...nd-jelly-rolls

Comment

While I haven't rewatched the show that Lois suggests, (which is where I'd start), if there is not enough information in it for you, consider the Craftsy class by Jan Krentz called Diamond Quilt Designs. She really gives the ins and outs of various ways to cut and stitch diamonds.

Comment

In episode 311 Joanna Figuero uses jelly rolls to create strip sets and cuts them at 45 degrees to make a star. She addresses getting the seams to match.

Comment

I LOVE this forum!
            Thank you all for being part of it!

Andrée

Comment

Thanks for your assistance - all wonderful aids. Back to quilting better! ann

Comment

Great topic and I am so interested and thankful for the answers and tips etc. I just ordered a pattern for a quilt that is all 45 degree diamonds. It said it was for 'intermediate' quilters. I'll find out soon if I fit the description of not. Besides that, it's the first kit I've ever bought, as I usually like to do all things 'my way. Well, I am making it bigger, that's all....

Comment

Terrie, Sometimes its nice to just enjoy the process of putting something together. I like to do kits/patterns sometimes. It's such a nice break after projects where I have done a lot of second guessing decisions made. Have fun.

Comment

I have never made a diamond quilt but one thing that I have learnt very clearly from TQS is to starch the fabric when working with bias seams. Starching makes a huge difference.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Thanks, Pam. I'd heard that 'Best Pressed' is very good. I've not tried it yet, but I may for this project. I guess this project will determine if I'm still a beginner or an intermediate (which the pattern is for) or just in my very own category (most likely)

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Terrie,

Love the new avatar!

I have used Best Press for a while now, as we can't find StaFlo in our area. You will love it, I had never used starch before, and I started with last year BOM following advice from all on the forum. What a difference it makes. And this one will not make heavy flakes like the one in spray can make.

My first Lone star was a miniature block, done with Lorraine Olsen technique - paper-pieced. The way the pattern is designed, you really can't miss. I wish I could figure out how to increase the size properly to make this as a bigger quilt... One day, I'll try that...

Andrée

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron

My first Lone star was a miniature block, done with Lorraine Olsen technique - paper-pieced. The way the pattern is designed, you really can't miss. I wish I could figure out how to increase the size properly to make this as a bigger quilt... One day, I'll try that...

Andrée
                          Wouldn't it be just doubling the numbers, instead of halving them? I'm sure a person of your proven mathmatical ability will find a way.... :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                            Originally posted by AndreeBergeron

Andrée
                            Wouldn't it be just doubling the numbers, instead of halving them? I'm sure a person of your proven mathmatical ability will find a way.... :wink:
                            Yes, I would think so too... But I'm not sure about the area "in between" the strips, if you have seen the technique. I'll try this over the week end, and I'll let you know.

In the meantime, here is a picture of my little block:

Andrée

Comment

WOWZERS!!! :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X