No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

How do you stop your foot pedal from moving around?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you stop your foot pedal from moving around?

Does anybody have a solution to the foot-pedal trying to escape? I have wooden floors and it is constantly getting pushed further and further away from me. I have tried putting a rubber under carpet thingy under it but it doesn't work. I know there is a gadget you can buy in the States but I don't think I could get it here and with postage and import tax being so heavy at the moment I don't think I will be ordering one any time soon. Does anybody have a cunning and ingenious home-made solution? Thanks.

After my eight-year-old granddaughter got through sewing on my machine
    recently, I noticed that she had wedged the trash can between the table leg
    and the foot pedal to keep the pedal in place. This placed the trash can in a
    slightly awkward position, but kept the foot pedal right where she needed
    it.

Comment

Rita, here is the URL for the kind of product I would recommend:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...ner-stone.html

I'm sure you can find kitchen non-slip shelf liner like this in Ireland. You might be able to also find it at IKEA. It will hold your foot pedal in place--just cut a piece that matches the size of your foot pedal and place it underneath. I use this shelf liner on the table surface to keep my embroidery hoop still when I'm trying to hoop a project for machine embroidery. It holds your hoop in place just as well as the much more expensive Master Hooper. In fact, the bottom of the Master Hooper has the same shelf liner material attached to it. If you cannot find it as shelf liner, you can probably find it in a woodworking or DIY store--wood workers also use it to keep their project from slipping when they don't want to use clamps to keep their project from moving on the assembly table.

Comment

I use the shelf liner that Renata describes above and it works well for me. Is that what you've already tried that didn't work?
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Hey I just thought about this, How about sticking self adhesive velcro strips to the bottom of the foot and the other to the floor? I don't think it would damage the floor anyway while you try it.
          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Hi Rita,
            I had the same problem with wooden floors so as I already had one of those doormats that are rubberised underneath with a flange of rubber all round but the part where you wipe your feet is covered in some sort of tufted carpeting stuff.
            I slid the mat underneath my sewing cabinet and stuck the rough side of Velcro ""the bit with the hooks"onto my sewing machine pedal and really pressed it down, voila it works really well.
            I didn't want to stick the other part of the Velcro to my floor, you never know what would happen.
            You can buy the mats really cheaply in some Asian stores (we have a few here in Woking) I think they cost about £10.00.
            Hope this helps I know how annoying it can be always chasing the foot pedal
            Good luck let us know what happens
            Anne

Comment

Renata, I did try something like that from Ikea but it is not strong enough to keep the foot-pedal in place! Maybe there is a heavier duty one in Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think I will have to try the velcro idea Karen - but I don't want to stick it to the wooden floor so I will use a mat like you suggest Anne.
              'Superjudy', if my feet were the size of an eight year olds rather than a size eight I could shove something up against the foot pedal. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Comment

The nonslip at IKEA is lighter than BB&B, Rita, and it is cheaper, at least here. I looked at it at IKEA the last time I was there and decided to stick with what I had because of the weight. I knew you had an IKEA, I didn't know where else they might have access to non-slip where you live and that is why I mentioned IKEA. The sturdiest stuff is the woodworker's version of it. I have wood floors, like you, in my sewing room and just put a piece of my non-slip on the wood floor with the pedal on it and nothing at all moved, not the pedal, not the non-slip. The only other thing I can think to do is to purchase those see-through plastic dots you use on decorative items you want to put on a wood surface that will protect the wood from getting scratched. Those tend not to slide. I'll keep my thinking cap on for you!

Comment

I have hardwood floors too, and this is what I did. While bargain-hunting at Tuesday Morning, in the kitchen section, I saw a pair of thick, pebbly-textured green potholders made out of melt-proof SILICON! I bought them to use at the grill, thinking it gets saucy and sloppy, these would be easy to wash.

Then, while sewing one day, and chasing my foot pedal under my table, I remembered those pot holders in the drawer outside! They have sort of a tacky surface. I grabbed one, put it under my foot pedal (it's roughly the same size as my big Pfaff pedal), and I've been happy ever since! Hope this helps...

Comment

I have the same problem and so far all I've done is use language that might indicate to some that I've lost my religion. ops: :evil: ops: That has done nothing to solve the problem so I may give Renata's shelf liner a try.

Comment

Lisa I have seen those silicone pot-holders - in fact I bought a pair for my mother specifically because of the non-slip aspect of them. I am kicking myself now because I had a silicone backing sheet which might have done the job but I threw it out because I didn't like it. :roll: I will have to try and find another one or an oven glove. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Well, I too, tried the non-slip rubber for under rugs and since I have two dogs who continuously lose hair, it doesn't work. But, while thinking about the question I remember reading about using a mouse pad--you know the thing you use for your computer? I think I may try that and see how it works.

Comment

That rings a distant bell Ritzy. Let me know how you get on. We don't have any mouse pads in the house anymore but I would get one if it worked.

Comment

It just dawned on me that the reason I sew barefoot is when I have to chase the foot controller around I can grab it easier with my toes and pull it back to me. :lol: I think I will look for one of the silicon mats to try. The basement gets cold in the winter and I may be able to keep my slippers on. :lol: :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 219 users online. 0 members and 219 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X