[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Basket Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm very much a slowpoke and got started a little bit early so that I don't get left behind. I know the project is in some ways designed to teach us how to work with a monochromatic palette, but the baskets said "Amish" to me. So, I've decided to work with solids -- and am working with Oakshott cotton.

I also worked a little bit on a layout because it helps me to have a roadmap. And I want to make 4" basket blocks (maybe paper-pieced?) instead of pinwheels. But have yet to find a pattern I like.

Comment

Is it possible to use a straight quarter yard rather than fat quarters? Sometimes it could make a big difference and if we are shopping for fabric the quilt shop is usually happier to sell straight quarter yds (meters for us Canadians).

Brenda

Comment

Sure, Brenda, straight quarters will work for most blocks in this quilt. The large backgrounds of the largest basket blocks probably would need a larger piece but most everything else appears to be less than 9" cut.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Since I am not on Facebook where do you show Alex's triweekly telecasts in TQS.

Comment

PatMac99. You can see Alex's telecasts on YouTube (The Quilt Show channel). They air live Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10 am PDT. After the airing they are posted for you to watch at anytime. Be sure to subscribe. They have some great videos on there. She just finished with the Kaffe Mystery Quilt.

Comment

Hi from South Jordan, Utah. First post here. Watched most of Kaffe Mystery, but did not participate. I have been away from quilting for about 13+ years. Getting back into the love of it. Picked out a palette for this quilt: Kaffe's Citrus fat quarter bundle from TQS, a few batiks scraps, a good smattering of my hand dyes from years gone by, a collection of white/cream on white, and a jelly roll of solids. We're in the process of getting ready to head to Arizona for the winter. All of my existing sewing machines are way too big and heavy for the RV, so bought a Brother Project Runway machine. It will be a good travel machine. Love the new Steady Sew green mat. Thank you Alex for your infectious enthusiasm and wealth of knowledge. When we get settled in Arizona, I'll post a picture of a "wee" space for quilting :-).

Comment

Did Alex say Friday to begin cutting 3" HSTs for this quilt?
                Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

I think she said to practice with scraps.
                  Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

CarrieG, no, Alex said to use scraps to practice your quarter inch seam allowance, if necessary. You can also play with your fabrics as she did, separating into light, medium and dark groups as that is how she will teach each session for this quilt.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                    North Alabama, USA
                    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Sorted my fabrics for the Basket Puzzle Quilt, just waiting for a few more to arrive so I can start.

Comment

Sorted my fabrics for the Basket Puzzle Quilt, just waiting for a few more to arrive so I can start. Many thanks again go to Alex for giving us her precious time and expertise

Comment

I could not wait to start this project. So,with the book, my stash and design wall going. I got going, I may add more or start another in different colors. Undecided on the border.

Comment

Love the colors you chose.

Comment

Wow I felt ambitious making two blocks. LOL.
                              Your's looks great

Comment

The start of my baskets in blues.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X