[vb_main_1]

Chinese Whispers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese Whispers

I have started this new thread so that I can post the rules here and you don't have to scroll through different topics. I have just called it Chinese Whispers but if you think another name is better, let me know.

The rules are in PDF format which I can't copy and paste here at the moment but you can find them at http://www.lochlomondquiltshow.com/c...s.html#CHINESE

I have got 10 people interested in taking this Chinese Whispers Challenge already. Funnily enough – 4 in the UK, 1 in Ireland and 5 in the USA. I think that that is enough considering the logistics of posting between UK and America.

They are as follows –
    Scottishquilter
    PosyP
    Lorna1021
    Twiglet
    Reetzbobeetz

Limbaia55
    Loise98
    Renata
    Rehak
    Idaho

If everyone above is happy to go ahead, I will email all of you privately later on and get your names and addresses to put on the list of members.

A word of caution, please read the rules and be certain that you will be committed to finish this challenge as once we start, no one can drop out because the challenge would be ruined for everyone else.

All the Chinese Whispers quilts for all the different groups taking part will be exhibited at the Loch Lomond Quilt Show, May 2014 which means that all the quilts from this group need to be in my hands by April at the very latest.

Chinese Whispers Challenge

Chinese Whispers Challenge

CHALLENGE DETAILS AND RULES OF ENTRY

Ssshhhhhh……….

Please note the following:

§ Group numbers - no less than 8 no more than 14
    § Must keep to given timetable organised by group coordinator
    § NO chatting between friends or discussion about designs - or sewing in front of other people
    § 100 words written as the quilt is finished to explain the quilters thought process
    § Maximum overall size of quilt: 40” x 40” *
    § Minimum overall size of quilt: 24” x 24” *
    § 3 layers, bound edges, with or without borders
    § A 10cm (4”) hanging sleeve or equivalent to be attached (please show details if unusual method is used).
    § Groups are responsible for the delivery and return costs of quilts (quilts can be hand delivered and uplifted at arranged times)
    § International Groups – please be aware additional postage costs may be involved

§ LLQS will insure quilts whilst in our possession

From Maureen - You can email a photo of your finished quilt to the person who you are sending it to just before you post it. No description or interpretation of how you arrived at the design.

*Quilt does not need to be either square or rectangular, as some designs look better in asymmetrical shapes but minimum 24” or maximum 40” on any one side.

A list of Group Members must accompany the entry form with the order that the quilts will be done. The photograph that will be used as the inspiration will be sent to the first person on the list and cannot be shared with any of the Group members until the Challenge is completed. Groups will decide on timetable to complete Challenge by April 2014.

Please do not share information about your quilt or the photograph.

A £20 Entry Fee must accompany your Entry Form, this covers the photograph, CD with information about Challenge, postage etc.

Added 3rd August 2013 [/b] Below is some information concerning how to proceed when your quilt is completed.[/b]

Label
    Each photograph has the group number and name on the back – CW001, CW002 etc. Can you ensure that this number plus the group name is on the back of the quilt when you send it to the next person. We are not too concerned as to the layout/size etc of the label on the back of each quilt but would ask that it has the following information:

Group Number, Group Name, Name of Person who made quilt plus place in group.
    Our Group number is CW004. Our Group name – Whispers across the Pond – Your name – Your # in the group (e.g. Renata you are # 5)

Please do not put the title of your quilt on the label or back when you send it to the next person, as this may be a giveaway about the nature and design of your quilt. I know this might be a bit picky but it all helps to keep the secret side of this challenge. The label can even be printed on paper and attached while the challenge is on and a more permanent label added later.

From Maureen - As you cannot put the name of the quilt on the label when you send it to the next person, you could put in a label, with the name of your quilt and the relevant information when you send the inspiration back to me and I will sew it on to your quilt when I get it

Your group organiser may have some ideas as to the layout of the label for your group.

Descriptor:
    As we have asked for a small descriptor of 100 words to explain thought processes etc, can this be sent to your group organiser, by email preferably (who will then pass it on to me) when you have finished your quilt. It is better to do this while you remember! The title of your quilt can be sent with this information. The descriptors will be collated as we go along – but as the number has now grown to 22 groups, this may take a while.

Can you also inform your group organiser (Maureen) when you are passing on your quilt to the next person, please?

Entry Forms must arrive by 23 September 2012. The photograph will be sent by LLQS to the first person on the list between the 1st - 4th October 2012. Finished quilts will be exhibited at the 2014 Loch Lomond Quilt Show.

New entry -10th March 2013
    I have received my quilt back from Marilyn via Lorna. Marilyn decided it was easier and more cost effective to send it this way as it was going to cost quite a lot to send it straight to me. Lorna has agreed to this.

As you know when each of you in the States have finished with the inspirational quilt (the one you received from the person in front of you) you send it back to me. Marilyn sent mine back to me, Limbania will send Marilyn’s to me, Nancy will send Limbania’s to me etc: etc. You will also need to email me your 100 words about your quilt.

As you cannot put the name of the quilt on the label when you send it to the next person, you could put in a label with the name of your quilt and I will sew it on to your quilt when I get it.

When you are sending it to Lorna you need to wrap the quilt in a way that Lorna will not be able to see it, dark plastic bag, brown paper - Marilyn put the quilt in a Priority Mail envelope, sealed it and then put that in another Priority Mail envelope. The cost, for Marilyn, was $10.40 + 0.75 for tracking = $11.15. Of course this depends on the weight of the quilt. It cost Lorna approx. $3.60 (round it up to $5) to then post it to me so that will have to be factored in. I think Marilyn just put the $’s inside for Lorna.

Comment

'Mad, Bored, and Dangerous to Know'

Actually, I am not bored, I have far to many projects on the go to be bored, but I just love the quote about Lord Byron.

With 10 people in the group we are going to be looking at turn around times of 6 weeks or there-abouts!

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
        This is quite nail bitingly awsome for a lark - we definitely will not be allowed to say 'my dog ate my homework!'

Should we start a new thread where we don't talk about the 'actual' quilts, called Chinese Whispers, so we can talk about the technical details of co-ordination etc.

I also wonder, would it be allowed for person 'a' to send an email picture of their quilt to person 'b', whilst the quilt is in the post? or not? - that would give a bit more thinking time to person 'b'.
        In the rules it's not specified how the finished quilt has to be delivered to the next person in line. If we can use electronic means to do that - send e-mail photos and description of all characteristics of the quilt to the next person in line and send the finished quilt to person A who will be collecting all finished quilts to submit in the end, it will save lots post time and expense. Just an :idea:

I'll be happy to chip in for registration too!

As for a name... I'm not too clever but, "it all started at the TQS forum" sound good to me :mrgreen:

Comment

I have read through the rules and I am happy to get involved. Can't think of any smart names. It just reminds me of the George Michael song 'Careless Whispers'. So depending on how careful we are we could be 'The Careless Whisperers'. Not much of a suggestion, I know. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Limbania55
            Originally posted by PosyP
            This is quite nail bitingly awsome for a lark - we definitely will not be allowed to say 'my dog ate my homework!'

Should we start a new thread where we don't talk about the 'actual' quilts, called Chinese Whispers, so we can talk about the technical details of co-ordination etc.

I also wonder, would it be allowed for person 'a' to send an email picture of their quilt to person 'b', whilst the quilt is in the post? or not? - that would give a bit more thinking time to person 'b'.
            In the rules it's not specified how the finished quilt has to be delivered to the next person in line. If we can use electronic means to do that - send e-mail photos and description of all characteristics of the quilt to the next person in line and send the finished quilt to person A who will be collecting all finished quilts to submit in the end, it will save lots post time and expense. Just an :idea:

I'll be happy to chip in for registration too!

As for a name... I'm not too clever but, "it all started at the TQS forum" sound good to me :mrgreen:
            No, I don’t think that would work Limbania. Everyone’s computer screen sees colours differently and would not show the details nuances of the quilt. I know we are talking about saving time but I think we need to physically have the quilt in our hands to come up with the inspiration. Maybe at a later date we can rethink this, but for now I think we just keep to posting of the quilt.

Rosemary’s idea might work - person ‘a’ sending an email picture of their quilt to person ‘b’ whilst the quilt is in the post giving a bit more thinking time to person ‘b’.

Comment

Yes I was thinking that earlier, when it crosses the pond anyway. Shouldn't be a delay in own country :? .

I like 'Careless Whispers' as a name of course there won't be any :lol: or a name like 'International Noodles'

Thanks for organising us Maureen. We need a name for you as Mothership

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I am thinking something that indicates the distance at which we work would be good to convey in our name. Wendy's last post mentioning the quilts "crossing the pond" made me think of "Whispers Across the Pond". It's an idea.

Comment

I am thinking something that indicates the distance at which we work would be good to convey in our name. Are we talking about a name for this thread or a name for our group for the registration. Wendy's last post mentioning the quilts "crossing the pond" made me think of "Whispers Across the Pond". It's an idea.
                  What will the registration amount to in American dollars? I'd be happy to include a roll of freezor paper and/or some other hard to get quilting notion in the package I eventually send back to Maureen to make up for cost of registration. That might be more fun than cash!

Comment

I forgot to mention that I am happy to contribute whatever money is required Maureen - just let me know.

As for the name Lois, I like 'Whispers across the pond'. Of course I should have suggested 'Careful Whispers' not careless whispers, I am the only one who would be careless. :roll:

Comment

Hummmmm? No idea in the name department ! Yet. Read the rules and printed them !
                      No problem..barring disaster, of course ! Just need to know the rest of the details. I
                      agree about not doing things electronically...note my orange/ red on another thread ! We'll just
                      have to stay on schedule ! :roll: :roll: Good thought Lois. I'm hoping Maureen can figure out
                      the money issues and and shake us up a bit...I don't really want to know where I am in the line up.
                      The fun of anticipation. !

Comment

The name would be for the group that is taking part in the Chinese Whispers exhibition and to register with. Some suggestions for names for now – I also was thinking about something to do with across the pond –

Whispers or Whisperers across the Pond,
                        Sisters across the Pond,
                        Forum Friends,
                        International Sisters,
                        International Noodles,
                        Careless Whispers,
                        Careful Whispers

Any more ideas?

Comment

Please don’t anyone worry about the registration fee, I am quite willing to pay that when I register our group. It is only £20, which is today approx $32/33. That divided by ten is a piddling amount and the postage and hassle of sending it would probably be much more trouble than it is worth.

Remember the person who makes a quilt is responsible for paying the postage to send it to the next person in line and her quilt to me. She is also responsible for paying the postage to get it sent back to her after the exhibition

Comment

Originally posted by scottishquilter
                            The name would be for the group that is taking part in the Chinese Whispers exhibition and to register with. Some suggestions for names for now – I also was thinking about something to do with across the pond –

Whispers or Whisperers across the Pond,
                            Sisters across the Pond,
                            Forum Friends,
                            International Sisters,
                            International Noodles,
                            Careless Whispers,
                            Careful Whispers

Any more ideas?
                            International Whispers
                            Whisper Friends

Comment

Originally posted by scottishquilter
                              Please don’t anyone worry about the registration fee, I am quite willing to pay that when I register our group. It is only £20, which is today approx $32/33. That divided by ten is a piddling amount and the postage and hassle of sending it would probably be much more trouble than it is worth.
                              Thanks Maureen!

We can always send some goodies when we mail you the quilts. :wink: Favorite color? :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X