[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lotti, I don't know which mills that would have been but there are several: Kerry Woolen Mills, Cushendale in Kilkenny, Donegal Woolen Mills, Foxford in Mayo, Glendalough in Wicklow, Blarney in Cork. There are probably more but I can't remember where. There must be one in Galway too! Thanks for reminding me about 'Dublinia' I wasn't sure if it was still up and running but I have just checked and it is. The Woolen Mills in Dublin is not like the ones around the country which are great for buying Aran sweaters and other woolen items. The Dublin one was taken over by a company called Trimmings so they are mainly haberdashery now with some wool for sale.

Comment

I suspect that design & inspiration hunting would be a better bet, rather than fabric hunting in Dublin.

Comment

thanks rita.

i thought it was worth mentioning Dublinia as most North Americans are (pardon me folks), NUTS about anything medieval - and the Dublinia "Vikings in Dublin" exhibition is very good - providing sounds, smells and a good feel of what life was like - and its right smack in the middle of Dublin just a few blocks from the Guiness Factory and actually lets you sit down for part of the exhibition... always a favorite when sight-seeing

i'll be checking out some of these woolen mills, get out my foto album and try to see where we were and where we have to go this time around - might have been Foxford in Mayo...

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
          I suspect that design & inspiration hunting would be a better bet, rather than fabric hunting in Dublin.
          Rosemary you are right about that. Lotti, that has reminded me of the Guinness Storehouse on James Street - not far to walk from the centre. They usually have some sort of exhibition and you can even find out about family who might have worked for the Guinnesses as they have an archive. I think you might have to book the archive in advance though. It's a great alternative to the official genealogy route.
          Here's a link:

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Index.aspx

Comment

OH, hello all! I have been so out of touch... I am just catching up on who knows how many posts? Trip to the Cape of S.Africa and Dubai went off perfectly, and had to work like a fiend to get caught up on work when I got back.
            Rita! WOW! Fabulous voice, awesome talent! And prayers for the eye surgery!
            Robyn- love the acronym. I have had a WOMBAT or two.
            Margo- I did get my blocks! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. But I am seeing a new thread for SOT TTT??? What is that about?
            Spring is in full swing here and it is GLORIOUS... Thank you, GOD!!!

Comment

Rita, Lotti, and Rosemary - Thank you very much for the visitor information. I've copied and sent on to my friend this morning. What a great forum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamais
                Margo- I did get my blocks! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. But I am seeing a new thread for SOT TTT??? What is that about?
                Are you talking about the book? Info is on the first page of the forum topic: http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...per-books-here

If you aren't aware of the book, check here: http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...our-exchanges-

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi, I haven't been posting but I have been reading all your comments. I am fine with waiting until all the reels are there. Whatever you decide to do will be OK.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I was just going back through some of the business card/papers I received from booths at the Cincinnati Quilt Show and one is from "Button Tree Farm, Waterford, Ireland. They were selling Irish Wool that was beautiful. I didn't buy any tho, cause it was expensive and I didn't have a definite plan for it. Their handout is so cute. It is the shape of a sheep with their info on it and it says designs by Kass Mansfield. Don't know if any of you have heard of this place or not. The people tending to the booth were so nice and friendly. We stopped, looked and chatted several times during our days at the show.
                    Lori

Comment

Lori, I had never heard of them ops: so I just had a look at their website thanks to you for the link. Those kits look very cute and the quilt is gorgeous. They do seem a bit on the pricy side - but that's how things are here in Europe, sadly. I think I was very lucky to get my bundle of woolen fabric from Magee's at the K&S Show here in Dublin last November - it cost €50 for 6 X 1/2" yards of fabric all of which were 60" wide! But I must say that sewing by hand with wool is just wonderful. Now, combining that with some of Sue Spargo's ideas and some of Laura Wasilowski's embroidery stitches would be a really enjoyable experience I think.

Have a good day everybody. We are supposed to be getting a months worth of rain today and tomorrow here in Ireland :shock: I was away at this time last year when we had extreme floods one day and the rivers rose by 12ft. Several basement car parks were completely flooded as well as a shopping centre whose ground floor windows were smashed in. And sadly one woman lost her life when she got stuck in a lift which flooded while trying to get to her car! Lets hope this doesn't happen this time.

Comment

Hi Rita -

I hope the rains aren't as bad as they expect! Stay safe!

Nancy

Comment

A Rita a chara,
                          be safe in the rains--hope it is a good time for quilting and some tea brack and that Mother Nature will be kind to you, your kin and to Ireland this week!
                          Slán go foill,
                          Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                            A Rita a chara,
                            be safe in the rains--hope it is a good time for quilting and some tea brack and that Mother Nature will be kind to you, your kin and to Ireland this week!
                            Slán go foill,
                            Renata
                            :lol: :lol: :lol: Go raibh mile maith agat! (A million thanks!)

And thanks Nancy too! DH has gone to pick up the kids from school just in case. So far it's just wet and windy in the usual way but he says that it is due to get much worse this afternoon. I hope it all just blows over. I don't have time to eat Brack and quilt as I am supposed to be limbering up my fingers on the guitar and limbering up my vocal chords for a concert on Saturday night! Perfect weather for that though. That's why I am on the 'puter of course:lol:

Comment

Rosemary - any news from Toni? (at last report, she had hoped to ship out her units last Tuesday after finally feeling better).

Sue

Comment

Who are we suppossed to send recipes to? Thanks, Dixie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 190 users online. 0 members and 190 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X