'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quilty204
    Lorra,

Oh, great idea to toss those reels in different directions. Ami Simms is teaching a class at the upcoming Mid Atlantic Quilt Show in Feb. It's called "Dancing Spools". The sewing process is done differently than the reels we're making but the theme is the same, Spool/Reel quilt. If I can get the link to work, here's a direct link to her class. http://www.quiltfest.com/workshop_detail.asp?id=1086 . Click on the class photo to see picture.
    If the link doesn't work. Google Mid Atlantic Quilt Show, click on page and click on instructors, click on Ami's classes and you'll see the "Dancing Spools". Sorry no Beagle :twisted: but I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I'm loving everyone's creative ideas.

My daughter has the sweetest Beagle. She knows how to pull at our heart strings. :lol:

Jean
    Here is Ami's design:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

While (whilst, for those of you who speak kings English) I was vacuuming today, I had a couple of other ideas for the spools. If cut almost circular or oblong, they can be little jelly jars. You just need to add a cute cap/lid. Put a wick and flame on them (circular or straight, doesn't matter) and they can be candles. Remember the ones with the layers that have a different scent as each layer burns? This is how my mind works while doing the mundane task of housework! Quality thinking time! :lol:

Dawn
      In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Originally posted by lorra
        I have been thinking of ways to use my reels. A few years ago my DH's puppy got into my sewing room and attacked my thread rack.
        :x Of course I should not have left it leaning against the wall, but I was picking out embroidery colors and had only left it for a few minutes. ops: So I was thinking of putting the reels on in every direction. And maybe a little appliqued beagle puppy looking ashamed. I will have to see if I can draw a pattern for the puppy. I really liked Rosemary's design and it sounds so much easier. I don't know what I will do, but I have plenty of time to think about it. Half the fun is anticipating the reels arrival and planning the quilt.
        That made me think of this:

Comment

I'm really liking the idea of a cookbook. If Rosemary can scan all the reels and let me know who made each one, then you can send me the recipes and I can match them with your reel. Is that too much work for you Rosemary? Right now this is a maybe until I can look more at the site that was posted earlier.

Comment

About those recipes....are we sending recipes that reflect our block's foodie name, or just a favorite recipe?

This could REALLY blow some diets! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
              About those recipes....are we sending recipes that reflect our block's foodie name, or just a favorite recipe?

This could REALLY blow some diets! :lol: :lol: :lol:
              Only if you try to eat all of the recipes at once :P

I would think that it would make more sense to try and have the recipe relate to the reel, (how many recipes are there for Tequila Sunrise anyway?) But we would possibly need to be a bit careful about some of them in case of copyright issues. Remember how Ricky wasn't able to do us a recording of 'Sorting Queen' because of copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by Franceslovesfabric
                I'm really liking the idea of a cookbook. If Rosemary can scan all the reels and let me know who made each one, then you can send me the recipes and I can match them with your reel. Is that too much work for you Rosemary? Right now this is a maybe until I can look more at the site that was posted earlier.
                The Blurb website is really good & easy to use, I am in the process of sorting out a book using it. What I particularly like about it is that it is a print on demand method. I first became aware of PoD books, because of Gregory Casein one of the 4 series programmes. He used Lulu, but with Blurb you get page templates & you just add the pictures & waffle to preset layouts, & you can keep changing it very easily - as Isabeau would say it is 'pips' to use. Once scanned, I would probably put all the pictures onto a disk to send to who-ever takes up the baton (& hope their machine can read it :evil: )

Will we be adding our avatar photos as well?

Comment

Originally posted by tbrown0307
                  Don't know how much quilting will get done this weekend. It is my oldest daughters "Gotcha Day" tomorrow, at least that is what we call it. 6 years ago tomorrow I flew to Guatemala to pick her up and she officially became a part of our family. How time flies, she is no longer a scared little 5 year old who could not figure out what in the world I was saying to her (she spoke Spanish and I did not). So it is dinner out, cake, presents and lots of celebrating this weekend for us. However I do think it is time for her to learn to sew. Maybe a simple Rail Fence quilt will get started this weekend.
                  we also have a gotch day in june and august my darling children came home from korea. Zoe is now 11 and harry is about to turn 7 and i agree where has the time gone, have a great day. It is a very special time. yours toni

Comment

Anybody who volunteers to do this is wonderful. Rosemary, I had a look at that website and could not make head nor tale of it. Sorry my brain just doesn't work in that way. (If it was a musical venture that would be easy peasy.) I am more than happy to send a receipe for Spinach Soup (and it's really good) and the best brown bread ever (Irish Soda Bread to those of you not in Ireland - which seems to be everybody except me :lol: ). And my receipes are good and healthy to balance out some of the puddings/desserts. The big question is would one contribute two receipes if one has two sets of reels in the pot (forgive the pun!)? I can't think of another green receipe unless it is some kind of a tossed mixed leaves salad?

Love the 'Gotcha Day' - what lucky children! Hope you had a good one 'tbrown'.

Comment

Originally posted by Franceslovesfabric
                      Does this mean you're volunteering to do the book or just collect the recipes? I'm not sure that I will come up with any recipes for my blocks. You could just include a picture of cotton candy and a jar of olives.

Comment

And my reels are turquoise!! I couldn't really come up with a food, per se. The closest was saying they were the color of those blue raspberry icy summer treats the kids love. You know, crushed, slushed ice with syrup with turquoise food coloring on it. Pure sugar but so refreshing! LOL

Does any one else have an idea for a real food that is turquoise??

Comment

Originally posted by tannes
                          Don't know how much quilting will get done this weekend. It is my oldest daughters "Gotcha Day" tomorrow, at least that is what we call it. 6 years ago tomorrow I flew to Guatemala to pick her up and she officially became a part of our family. How time flies, she is no longer a scared little 5 year old who could not figure out what in the world I was saying to her (she spoke Spanish and I did not). So it is dinner out, cake, presents and lots of celebrating this weekend for us. However I do think it is time for her to learn to sew. Maybe a simple Rail Fence quilt will get started this weekend.
                          we also have a gotch day in june and august my darling children came home from korea. Zoe is now 11 and harry is about to turn 7 and i agree where has the time gone, have a great day. It is a very special time. yours toni

My other 2 came home in April (different years), also from Guatemala so we get to do it 2 more times this year. Right now one of them is complaining that she will have to wait until April for hers. Also she told all her class mates last year and they all wanted a Gotcha Day and thought it unfair that they didn't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
                            And my reels are turquoise!! I couldn't really come up with a food, per se. The closest was saying they were the color of those blue raspberry icy summer treats the kids love. You know, crushed, slushed ice with syrup with turquoise food coloring on it. Pure sugar but so refreshing! LOL

Powerade has a drink called mixed berry flavor that kinda looks like Tidy Bowl, but that's not really a recipe! :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts

In Hawaii they call it Shave Ice. Just Google Hawaiian Shave Ice, and I'm sure you can come up with a wonderful exotic name/flavor for it! Have fun!

Dawn
                              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Originally posted by tannes

My other 2 came home in April (different years), also from Guatemala so we get to do it 2 more times this year. Right now one of them is complaining that she will have to wait until April for hers. Also she told all her class mates last year and they all wanted a Gotcha Day and thought it unfair that they didn't get one.
                                It was the best day ever when we got to hold our daughter for the first time and 4 years later we got to hold our boy. One was six months and the other was five months and look at them now growing up so fast. Mine also talked about gotch day at school and doing the family tree was very interesting with foster mums and us. I cant wait to go back to korea for a holiday.
                                It would be snowing there and here its in the middle of summer and too hot for me.
                                Well i had better get back to my reels so i can mail them on monday. yours toni

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 407 users online. 0 members and 407 guests.

Most users ever online was 415 at 12:29 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X