[vb_main_1]

Long Time Gone

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glacerda View Post
    Looks great. I am new to AccuQuilt and have been trying to figure out which dies might work. Maybe we can share info.
    Gayle,
    I use the HST dies for many of my quilts and have purchased the HST dies in all the sizes up to 3". Put your two fabrics right sides together before cutting them, it is so nice to have them lined up for sewing. I started using Accuquilt to perfect my 1/4" seam for miniature quilts. It is so nice when blocks finish the correct size.
    Square in a Square Star, Square in a Square dies 5 & 6 from the 6" Qube and for the Geese dies 4 & 5 from the 6" Qube
    Jacob's Ladder, 8" Qube dies 11.1 & 12.1 but you have to rotary cut the second edge from 11.1 using one of the pieces as a guide.
    Churn Dash the 12.1 from the 8" Qube or the die for that size HST.
    For the HST on page 17 and 18 for blocks 1 and 2 use die #5 from the 8" Qube or the die for that size HST.
    Block 3, die #5 from the 6" Qube or the die for that size HST.
    Flying Geese the 6" Qube's dies #4 and #5.
    Accuquilt has the 60° triangle and I added it to my collection of dies. Accuquilt calls it Triangle Square and I like how that block can create a circular pattern in a quilt. [Be careful with the 'buy one get one' they take the reduction from the all least expensive not the one that is the same price.]
    Happy quilting, Karon

Comment

Originally posted by MSHendel View Post
      I couldn't stop once I got started! I'm still watching Dee's weekly chats to learn tips and tricks for small blocks- for the next Jen pattern I made the sashing in deep teal, similar to one on Pinterest (Barb Black?). I think it gives a pop of interest and adds some organization to all the tiny piecing. Instead of the patchwork borders in the pattern I'm going to do 6-8" borders in a gray-on-gray print with appliqué flowers and leaves in all the colors in the quilt- see Jen Kingwell Midnight on Oasis and Green Tea quilts for ideas. I've been using fabric from my stash- more modern designs than my usual Kaffe and Tula. But I feel I've hardly made a dent in my stash!
      Peg,
      In your first picture there is a quilt hanging behind Long Time Gone, the squares in the gray and the applique corners would also make a great border. Strange where ideas come from.
      Karon

Comment

Comment

• jptousley
          jptousley commented
          Editing a comment
          Sarabeth, I like your use of color and the fabrics. Great balance of scale and variety of pattern. Thanks for sharing.

This is what I have done so far. Working on the churn dash blocks. Photo colors are too bright

Comment

As an experienced quilter I want to say to those of you who are newer to quilting that this is a very difficult quilt to learn on. Please, don't get discouraged, if you can make these blocks you can make most any pieced quilt out there. When we start to put the blocks into sections, if Dee doesn't cover it, I will give some hints on how to adjust for blocks that aren't exact.
          The first picture is how I measure when I cut my strip to length. Not only do I measure just the end but line up the length along the ruler line. It keeps my piece accurate and the ends perpendicular to the sides. If you noticed I also have a small cutting mat on top of my larger table size mat. I find myself working on the same area of my table and do this to save my larger, more expensive mat.
          The first patch, if this is what is happening, it is just a little bit, you can trim it off, don't ease it in. Make the next seams just a little bigger or wider and it should be close to correct.
          The second patch, the seam is a 1/4" from the edge and the seam is too large. It is probably best to take out one or both seams and make them smaller or narrower. It is hard to make adjustments in the next seams when dealing with this small of a strip.
          The third patch is when you hit the correct seam allowance.
          If the seam isn't straight all the way across, Dee mentioned, hold on to and guide your pieces until the needle leaves the fabric.
          I work on only two block at a time, that way if my seam drifts I don't have to correct all nine.
          Last edited by karonray; 03-29-2021, 10:23 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

If you are having problems with piecing the Courthouse Steps block and want to paper piece it but are unsure of how to draw it, thank you Jptousley for the idea of drawing it. Start with a square the size of the finished block. I like to add the 1/4" seam allowance around it to know how far the the pieces need to extend. The pattern tells you how wide to cut the strips and subtract the seam allowance or 1/2". Draw a line that distance, parallel to opposite sides, first picture. Continue to draw lines on opposing sides stopping at the previously draw lines. Picture 2. Check the measurement of the center square to make sure you drew it correctly. After you copy it check to make sure that it is still the correct size.

Comment

My courthouse steps so far
              so happy they are turning out to be 5 1/2 inches

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
              X