[vb_main_1]

How to keep clean during paper piecing?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep clean during paper piecing?

I just finished my sample paper pieced exchange block for an upcoming Baker's Dozen meeting. So, that means I have to make at least twelve more blocks. Besides the fact that this 9" block has 50 pieces, some which are extremely small, it uses five different fabrics, and I'm not a very experienced paper piecer, my biggest challenge is keeping my workspace (particularly my cutting table) clean while paper piecing.

When I cook, I like to start with a clear preparation space and a dishpan full of hot sudsy water so that I can clean as I go. By the time I start serving the food there's no dirty dishes or preparation mess to look at. So, I don't understand why I haven't figured out a way to stay neat while paper piecing. Each time I return to my cutting table to trim, after sewing on a piece, there are small odd shaped bits of assorted fabrics and snips of threads everywhere. I've even accidentally cut through some of my good fabric pieces and paper piece templates while trimming my seam allowances.

I feel rather silly asking, but do you have any good tips for keeping your cutting table clean during paper piecing?

in Vancouver, Canada

I'm with you, Nancy! When I sit down to dinner there is usually very little mess left in the kitchen!

When I'm paper piecing, I keep a small trash container on top of my cutting surface and automatically put fabric and paper scraps in it as I cut and trim.
    The size I find most useful is a re-purposed 16 oz. COOL-WHIP container. It doesn't take up much room, and the top is big enough that these scraps fit easily in it.

I also have a trash can right under the table for larger scraps, but for small things my table top tub keeps things neat.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Nancy, I am not sure what you mean by keeping things clean while paper piecing - it can be a bit messy. However, I have found that using shallow boxes to sort out pieces of fabric and pieced pieces has helped me when I am working making several the same for an exchange or a project of sorts. I line up things to the left of my machine. I set up a small self-healing mat to my left and trim as I go so as not to have cutting mistakes.
      Hope this helps and would you like to elaborate of what you mean by a mess?

Comment

Thanks Margo and Jeanine,

Your tips are very helpful. I was just so frustrated that I started with a neat and clean sewing room--I hosted twice during the holidays, so I had to clean it up--but just after making one pp block it was a total mess again. I wanted to know how to keep and sort the small pieces of fabric that can still be used, and toss out those that are to small along with all of the thread snips.

What I've learned from you is that I should keep five shallow boxes/trays, one for each of the fabrics in my blocks to toss in the small reusable pieces. Also, I'll keep a small piece of batting and a lint roller handy to wisk away the too small bits of fabric and threads as I go. I have always kept a large trash bin under my cutting table and a small trash bag next to my sewing table. I suppose that I need to get in the habit of using them consistently as I go along. I'll try your tips and will let you know how they work out for me.

Comment

Personally I make paper boxes using a sheet of used printer paper and these instructions http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html to keep track of smaller pieces &/or scraps.

After you have made your first one to get the hang of it, you can experiment with the height of the walls - instead of the 2nd round of folds going to the centre you could just fold in 3/4" all around. This will give you a shallow tray, which is sometimes closer to your requirements. When I was doing Feb/month 2 of Stars for a New Day I made custom sized boxes to keep all the itty-bitty squares in the right places while I was sewing them.

Comment

Nancy, what about having a dust-buster or one of those hand-held vacuum thingys nearby. They should clean up stray threads and little itty bitty papers. When I have done paper piecing, which is not often, I sit with a bin at my feet and tear straight into the bin so that most of it is dealt with that way. Then I just use a bit of spare batting to dust off the table, cutting mat etc. My workspace seems to be in a permanent mess and I have become accustomed to it mostly. I tidy up after each project but once I start the next one well it's a mess again very quickly. ops:

Comment

i use plant over-pots - nice clean over-pots that i like but are either the wrong size for my plants or just not in use - they look good and clean on the sewing table, or coffee-table or wherever i'm working - fit quite a bit of stuff and can easily be tipped into the bin. with me it's also important that whatever i use is heavy enough to stay in place and not easily tipped when i'm moving stuff around - the clay overpots are great and come in so many shapes, sizes, colors.

my mom uses empty kleenex boxes - these accumulate at an alarming rate - especially in winter - look good - it's very easy to stuff thread bits, fabric scraps, paper piecing scraps and even used needles and bent pins inside where they are out of harms way - the little clear plastic strips on the opening also prevent stuff from coming back out if they are accidentally tipped over - it's amazing how much can be stuffed inside and then they're just put in the bin.

Comment

HHF ! ( hand hitting forehead) Kleenex box..why didn't I think of that? Wise mother!
                BTW....Blk and white blocks are fabulous and will we get to see the hairdressers' work..since
                we can't see the stunner himself ?? :lol:

Comment

Yep the kleenex boxes is a great - I might just go away and have that idea! Thanks Lotti and thank your mother too please.

Comment

All of you are just great and have given me some great ideas. I surprisingly never thought of a dustbuster--maybe because I don't have one. I have previously used empty Kleenex boxes as small trash bins, but now use my Weighted Pincushion Organizer (a free Elizabeth Hartman designed project in the TQS project list) for that purpose. Here's a photo of mine:

Believe it or not, there's already much improvement in my process for keeping my area neat as I'm working on my paper piecing. I've started keeping small pieces of leftover batting for clearing the debris from my cutting table after trimming each seam. Also, I am immediately sorting my "large enough to save" scraps from trimming and tossing out those that are too small. So far, my scraps are just sorted into piles--I need to make those trays or get some over-pots (I'd never heard them called this before.).

I recently bought a magnetic tray (from Harbor Freight Tools) to hold my pins, but learned that my pins cannot be magnetized. I'm still using a huge roll of whitehead pins that my sister gave me back in the 1970's. Therefore, new pins are in my near future.

Thanks so much to all have have replied, because yesterday I was really feeling overwhelmed by the mess.

Comment

i had the same problem until i put more then one small plastic containers so where ever i am in my quilt corner i have nearby a container

Comment

i really like your pincushion organizer nancy.
                        may be about time i get one of those made too... but my pots have been trusty and helpful friends for more than 20 years... (you're right - over-pot is certainly not the correct term - i just straight translated from the german because i was too lazy to think... believe in english, cachepots is more commonly used - from the french )
                        the important thing is that we have something nearby where all the throw-away scraps can go. i generally have a plastic bin in the area for the reusable fabric scraps

Comment

I buy catfood in little boxes (each has 12 pouches in it). Rather than throwing the empty boxes away, I use them on my cutting table and next to the sewing machine for the bits and pieces that get thrown away. Once full a box is thrown away plus its content. I only have one cat here, but thanks to her there are plenty of these boxes. They are about 8x4x5 and very sturdy. They are actually so strong that I could cover one of them in fabric and reuse. But I rather makes quilts in the little spare time that I have.

When I first saw the topic here I was baffled because I have never got dirty when playing with fabric. Rugby players get dirty, dogs running around outside after a lot of rain get dirty, my granddaughter gets dirty when feeding herself gets dirty..... but quilters......??
                          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

WOW! Lotti, I thought we had a new member posting to the forum! I like the new photo!!

Comment

nope just not my usual scruffy self - vito seems to think that he should make my hairstyle look like a style when i leave his - of course that never lasts more than a few hours

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 182 users online. 0 members and 182 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X