Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great new look !!

Comment

Originally posted by lotti
      i really like your pincushion organizer nancy.
      may be about time i get one of those made too... but my pots have been trusty and helpful friends for more than 20 years... (you're right - over-pot is certainly not the correct term - i just straight translated from the german because i was too lazy to think... believe in english, cachepots is more commonly used - from the french )
      the important thing is that we have something nearby where all the throw-away scraps can go. i generally have a plastic bin in the area for the reusable fabric scraps
      Hi Lotti,

If you get around to making one of these organizers, I'd suggest a filler other than rice. I used rice because it was cheap and handy, but rice doesn't give the organizer enough weight and so my organizer is constantly falling off the edge of my sewing table. It's been frustrating to the point where I plan to open the weighted pincushion part and refill it with something else (e.g. crushed walnut shells, buckwheat hulls, sand, or emery)--maybe I should start saving the walnut shells from my holiday nutbowl.

I just read, by the way, that magnetic pincushion holders should be kept away from electronic equipment and data storage devices. That's not a problem for me, because my old sewing machine has no electronics in it.

Comment

the weight problem was one of the reasons i have never attempted this - but sand is probably heavy enough - and easy to come by. never thought of the magnetic pincushion hoders and electronic equipment - although that really makes sense - will have to be more careful with my holders - thanks for drawing my attention to this

Comment

I reckon buckwheat and rice would be similar weight per volume. My son suggested gravel or sand. If it had a double lining it should be okay. I fancy making one of those too Nancy. But I would definitely not be happy if it kept falling off the table!

I know that magnetic things are not good for electronic sewing machines. There is a magnetic seam guide attachment which should only be used on mechanical machines.

Comment

If you want to add some weight, but not use sand, you can mix the rice (only advisable if you live in a dry climate) with non-magnetic ball bearings from the hardware shop.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I've made several of these holders and have used a fine sand, such as they use for sandblasting. It holds well and it can be used as a pincushion as well.
              Fi

Comment

We made a simpler version of this caddy in our spring quilt retreat last year. Our version just had a trash bag attached, no tool caddy. We filled the pin cushion with crushed walnut shells that I believe the ladies picked up at the pet shop. We also sewed that rubber stuff that you put under rugs to keep them from slipping on the bottom of the pin cushion and I've never had mine slip off the table.

Nancy

Comment

I never put a tool caddy on any of mine either. The original pattern I used was from a kit I had bought from the Viking dealer many years ago. I have revised and simplified it over time.
                  Fi

Comment

We made a variation of these at my guild a few years ago.

I changed the pattern so it was just the thread bag hanging down. We attached the thread bag with velcro so it's easy to take off the top pincusion part to empty. The lining of the bag was made from slippery polyester (like lining material) and it is so easy to dump! The trash just slides right out!!

I also used a 6" ceramic tile (cheapest white tiles from Home Depot) for the bottom of the pincushion. We made the top pin cushion like a bag shape, laid the tile inside wrapped in muslin, then stuffed the rest of the bag with tons of poly fluff, then top stitched it closed. The velcro was stitched over the closure to hide it a bit.

The end result was a heavy top pin cushion with a removable slippery thread bag! I love mine!

Comment

Michelle, using a ceramic tile is a brilliant idea! Thank you for that.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Thanks for all of your great ideas for the weighted pincushion organizer. I'm so glad that I mentioned it. I'll certainly be modifying mine to weigh it down more. And, in lieu of a changing my lining, I have just put a large clear plastic cup down in the thread bag to make it easier to dump. Why didn't I think of that before?

Much love to you all!

Comment

I made 3 of those organizers. One for me, my mom and my sister. Then I too realized its to light to stay put on my sewing cabinet. I cut a small piece of the rubber matting you use to keep rugs from slipping and it works great. Mom drapes hers over the arm of the couch when hand sewing and that works great too.

Comment

My advice is to lower your standards!

Comment

Originally posted by uncledonna
                              My advice is to lower your standards!
                              :lol:

Comment

"let 'er rip" and vacuum the mess up. :shock:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 56 users online. 0 members and 56 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X