[vb_main_1]

When Life gives you Lemons -- er kittens

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Life gives you Lemons -- er kittens

My two young cats had destroyed the second batting that I had used to cover my 8' x 8' design wall. As in the previous case, I planned to re-cycle the snagged batting by working it into a quilt (can't see the tears in there). Inspiration hit and I sprayed the snagged, lumpy batting with quilt basting spray, and then smoothed my latest top over the slightly tacky design wall.

Now to re-cover the foam panels with real flannel fabric and see if that holds up better.

Good idea about the flannel. I covered my design wall with flannel and it works fine. Last week I was pin basting a quilt I want to get done by Christmas and one of my cats was tearing the batting out between the backing and the top. They are involved in every step of quilt making, like sleeping on the quilt when I'm trying to free motion quilt. Not so easy to free motion quilt with 15 pounds of cat on it

Comment

Yesterday evening I had some friends over to work on a set of table mats for a friend who has just moved house. My cat spent the evening demanding attention in so many ways. Firstly, she prostrated herself on the table, on top of all the pieces of fabric that we had just laid out carefully to sew. When she was removed from that she then went to the kitchen counter-top and tried to open the box of peppermint tea bags and lie in it :roll: After that she kept trying to sit on my lap as I tried to do some free motion quilting! It's just not possible to do that with a cat on your lap :!: I have a woven basket which I use for all scraps of fabric that are too small to reuse, so of course that is where she ended up lying. When she got out she was covered with tiny threads and bunny ears etc. Cats, they are never boring :lol:

Comment

My son's cat is living with me for a few months (long story). It took her very little time to discover all the fabric-covered places in my house and claim them as hers.

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

i have 3 cats, 1 of them is a quilter

Comment

I have two cats, both of whom love to join in on my quilting journey! I envy those of you who can use a design wall!! But the cats are pretty cute, so I'm going to keep them around....

Comment

Well I have Pebbles a toy poodle which is only a small dog (who I think was a cat in an earlier life) and when ever I sit on the lounge to do some hand sewing she jumps up on my lap and pushes the hoop aside and spreads herself across my lap and chest, so I sit with my hands in the air level with my face and try to hand sew.......gee then I have people say to me why don’t you move her.........well she is asleep and I don’t want to disturb her silly :roll: :roll: ......and yes she too loves to paw the sewing scrap basket over and crawl into it and come out with all bits attached to her wool.

Have any of your read the first paragraph of the book by Barbra Streisand on interior decorating called "My Passion for Interior design", I laughed myself and could totally understand what she was saying.

Taree NSW - Australia
              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Please post that paragraph. I love the stories of our dear companions. I have two cats and one of them often claims that she needs my chair. Even if we shift chairs she wants the other the next day. There's nothing like a warm chair .
                My other cat (who was a dog in an earlier life) never bothers me. She just sleeps beside me when I'm working.

living in Central Denmark
                Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I supose it was just that you forget that they can be just like ordinary people like you and I at times......lol lol lol .......

she is an incredibly talented and famous celebrity so of course you put them up on a pedestal, the book is a beautiful one, and as you stare at the cover page and then gently open the book and pour over the first few pages in awe of the stunningly built home, the fantastic idea of using the exterior of an American barn as a home, the craftsmanship both outside and wow wow the inside, the gardens are just stunning, and just the glamour of it all, then you come to her introduction and she writes:

My bedroom gets that pure clean light of early morning, and I'll reach for my laptop and papers and work in bed for a while. Here's the real truth....Samantha (dog) has usually fallen asleep at my feet, and I don’t want to disturb her..............

It's a bit hard to put it in words but I do hope you get my drift......

Taree NSW - Australia
                  My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I sure get it :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thanks for explaining

living in Central Denmark
                    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I must admit that I am not a cat or dog person. Looking after my son's cat (long story) since last Easter and for about another 5 or 6 months has been totally out of my comfort zone. When my son and his partner got her she was about 2 years old, according to the vet. She was just a handful of fur and bones. With decent food and tlc she is now a very healthy cat, but she goes straight into hiding when anybody comes to my house, and often the claws come out when she doesn't like anything. But Guinness and I have developed a mutual respect for eachother and she now spends most of her time next to me and loves being stroked. I sometimes wonder what her life was like before Chris and Kerri rescued her.

Here she is a couple of weeks after they got her.

And here the little minx is today.

Comment

Guinness is beautiful! I'm glad she found a good home!

Nancy

Comment

That's funny Lorchen, because Guinness and I have a mutual respect for each other too :lol: Sounds to me like you are becoming a cat person!

My husband is very definitely a dog person and I am definitely a cat person. My kids love both equally. But my son is allergic to dog hairs and has recently started reacting to the cat when she gets too close to him - which is often as she likes to lie on anybody's chest once they are sitting down on a sofa. My mother and two of my sisters are allergic to cats too. I really wish there was a cure out there.

Comment

Lorchen can i show you mine toooooooo can i can i can i......lol lol lol

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Jill, that is just such a cute photo. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17 users online. 0 members and 17 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X