[vb_main_1]

new glasses

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

new glasses

I am paperpiecing a quilt, which means a very small stitch length. I had to take out several seams (something I avoid if I can). I put a pair of reading glasses on over my prescription glasses, and suddenly everything is magnified and I can see very very clearly! It also works for threading needles. I keep the pair in my sewing dresser, right next to the bandaids.

I keep mine on a chain around my neck! My husband calls me "grasshopper" with multiple eyes! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I keep several pairs around for "double glazing" when I really need to see those stitches close in. Did you ever notice how directions on cooking items and how many calories are in the food are the smallest type on the box? Oddly, these things seem to get smaller all the time. :shock: :lol: :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Betty Jo, its like the fact that the tops on jars and bottles get tighter every day :lol:

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

I always have problems with the taps in the house after my sons have been visiting. They don't know they are doing it, but they turn them off so tightly that I can't turn them on. A few times I had to get a wrench out of the toolbox to help me. I'm only 58. I better get my lads better trained, or I'll have real tap problems when I'm 95!
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Lorchan

You will have to start phoning them when they get home after a visit, and tell them to come right back again to loosen your taps! That should fix it - one way or another :lol:

Rosemary

Comment

I thought I was the only one to go 'four-eyed' when quilting! I get a lot of laughs from friends and family, but, hey, I can thread that needle far more easily plus see where to put the needle. I found reading glasses at the WalMart optical department on sale for just $1/pair, down from $20. The style was awful, but for $1 who cares? I bought all they had.

Comment

Cool idea -- does it work wearing the reading glasses over bifocals?

Comment

ABSOLUTELY!!

Comment

I'll try it!! Thanks!

Comment

I use "double glasses" all the time. I forgot one day, answered the door and the mailman burst into laughter and told me I was going to start a fire on my face if I stood too long in the sunshine!

Comment

Well, there's my tip for the day or no matter what age I'm not too old to learn. I have a pair of reading glasses tucked away from the day I was without glasses for a few hours. The hoot is that my optometrist tells me I shouldn't need glasses other than for reading and close work. My eyes and head totally don't agree. I heard this same line when my youngest, now 36, was a wee baby and it didn't work then either. I'm off to get those glasses and give it a try. Thanks!!

Comment

The optometrist told me at my last visit that I shouldn't need additional magnification with my new prescription. Wrong! He also added that at my next appointment he'd like to see what kind of close-up work I do. Well, I can't wait to show him my size-12 between used for handquilting, the detailed applique, the silk thread. The mini show-and-tell I treat him to may make him re-think how he writes prescriptions when a patient tells him she's (he's) a quilter.

Comment

I know it is expensive, but I couldn't function without my Dazor magnifying lamp. I use this without my glasses, and the magnification combined with the bright light is so nice. I'm not sure it is so great for your eyes to mess with the prescription. So, if you're interested, check it out.

Comment

One of my friends, who is into miniature embroidery, has a niece who's hobby is lacemaking, but also has a part time job in an opticians. She has told us some great tales of asking clients about their hobbies, who initially cannot understand why she is asking such personal questions, but when any of the ladies let on about sewing, she responds with

'Right, so you need to have your focal point at 12"-15" to work on your projects'. And they all wonder how a 8) 18 year old knows about such things! :lol: :lol:

(By the way it also applies to hubbys that do model making/wood turning etc.)

It seems that when you need glasses for close work, you need to explain properly to the optometrist your requirements for your glasses, and at what distance the focal point needs to be :wink: .

I personally am the other way around in that I need glasses for distance, and take them off for close work.

Rosemary

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X