[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What to put on your quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope so. I certainly would love to be there and have fun with you all this time

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Great video! Humble teacher. I like that always. Just do what you like, once you can find the design floating around in your head somewhere! ha
      Lynn

Comment

I'm hoping that here will be a few good shops with decently priced 'stateside' quilting items at IQFI... Have brought some clothes that will not be coming home, making room for a few goodies I hope

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed the video too! Since I have decided that I like the look of whole cloth quilts, as well as pieced tops, perhaps I should use the pieced tops as the backings to my wholecloths :wink:

Comment

Rosemary, that sounds like such a great idea! Whatever you do to make sure the whole cloth looks whole and the pieced side does not look chopped off somewhere when you put the sandwich together, would you share how you do that? Thanks! Would love to see what you make!

Comment

Marilyn--Thanks so much for posting the video. Very informative! I've only been to a long arm quilter once, but now I know why she blanched when I told her I envisioned stitch in the ditch for most of the quilt....http://forum/hand-and-machine-quilti...-on-your-quilt

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                Rosemary, that sounds like such a great idea! Whatever you do to make sure the whole cloth looks whole and the pieced side does not look chopped off somewhere when you put the sandwich together, would you share how you do that? Thanks! Would love to see what you make!
                In a way it would be an extension of what I achieved for my Sottts quilt
                I used the piecing layout to give me guiding marker points for the quilting, but the overall design is far more visible on the reverse. So all you really need to do is to take this basic idea further (although if you asked the lady in the video to do so I suspect that she would have a good whine about it :wink: )

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Rosemary...I can see the grid on the outer edge..and the multi-cable.. but what is the design in the very center?
                  I just can't make it out.

Comment

Rosemary, the first time I saw this quilt you made I remember thinking about how straight and even your white border was on the back. I'm really afraid that if I were to make a backing like that, it would not be as straight and good looking.

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
                      Rosemary...I can see the grid on the outer edge..and the multi-cable.. but what is the design in the very center?
                      I just can't make it out.
                      if you click on the picture of the reverse, the outer edge quilting border is a variation of the Weardale Chain, I used this on the flying geese and also down the pale lines of the centre panel I know I posted about this elsewhere, as I cut templates out of sandpaper to stitch around using a walking foot, and it worked really well.

Renata, the backing fabrics, particularly the red & outer cream borders were very heavily starched (when I starch I tend to go a bit overboard :lol: ) after that it is just being careful about matching your centre points and working from the centre outwards on the basting (I pin basted this one) And one of these days I might get brave enough to wash it :roll:

Comment

Rosemary, you did a beautiful job both centering and quilting this!

It definitely takes extra time to line up a pieced backing to the front of a quilt, but is do-able and is so worth it when finished!

Here is "From The Heart", a variation of the 2010 BOM, Star Crazy.

The back features a large star.

And a detail of the star (with very bad lighting....sorry 'bout that!)

(If you click two times on the detail you can zoom in for a closer look.)

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo - I think I remember you showing this before, but I'm still blown away. Your quilt is so beautiful and the quilting is just out of this world!

Nancy

Comment

Thank you, Rosemary for the explanation regarding the backing.

Comment

Also after you have lined up and pinned your centre lines, smooth the top out along the vertical & horizontal grain lines, not along the diagonals, where all the stretch is. And be the boss, who is in charge you or the quilt top? You can do a lot with easing fabrics (unless it is starched stiffer than cardboard and you are try to stretch it down the warp - don't ask how I know :roll: ). If all else fails, 'Keep Moving, and they will never notice!' as my Mum would say - but that tends to refer more to my dressmaking :lol:

Comment

Thanks for showing the details, Rosemary! Weardale Chain...I've used that before..had no idea it had a name !!
                                Margo..love that red and cream !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 182 users online. 0 members and 182 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X