[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Ironing the quilt layers before basting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the flannel shrinks even more than those 5%, you are looking at up to 10%. But then again, as with fabric and batting, it depends on what quality it is.
    And, I think the right word for a "after-shrunk" quilt is lovable :lol: .

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Brink and Margo - Everybody actually!

So here it is again: I get to make all the choices and decide how how I want my quilt to look, but I also get to do a little work first. Like the shrink test Margo described.

Maybe I'll do the work when it really matters. Maybe I won't when it doesn't matter. And then I'll just enjoy the ride and all the surprises that come with it!

Prewashing is probably safer, especially if you also test for color transfer, but that's not my style...

I'm layering a pineapple right now with Moda mottled black flannel. I'm going to leave it unwashed, but I'm going to starch it to within an inch of its life. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Hey Keith! Let us know how it works for you! Do you think that the starch made a difference?

Personally, I think that starching also will pre-shrink the fabric to some extent. I have taken a measured square of fabric and actually watched it draw up as I sprayed starch on it! :shock: Don't know if it shrinks more after that, but like you, I'll take my chances! :wink:

Comment

Keith--don't forget--bugs love starch.

Comment

I know sometimes it takes me a long time to finish, Ritzy, but hopefully our dry desert bugs will stay away long enough! And I wash everything immediately after I bind. Actually, waiting for a quilt to dry for the first time is one of the most exciting things for me... (That just sounded very much like a government auditor.)

Thanks for the reminder for me. And everybody. =)

Comment

You are very welcome!

Comment

It'll be Sunday, Margo - parents were here this weekend and it was the Tucson Quilt Show (Great show, BTW) - I have to work everyday this week (whah) and I think I teach on Saturday... Sunday I'll get some work done on the middle of the quilt and let you know how it's going.

Comment

Yes, I think starching my flannel back is making a difference. It does seem to slide better on my tables and machine. At least this one is much easier to handle than the only other flannel back I've worked with.

I don't think I starched it to within an inch of its life though... It never got crisp... But the nap did get flatter.

SPEAKING OF NAP... Does all flannel have directional nap? Like velour or corduroy? The photo I took for Margo certainly makes it seem like it does. I'll put it in a blog if anyone wants to see... Perhaps that effect will go away when I wash it.

Comment

Hmmm....I don't think that flannel has a directional nap because it's a woven fabric. It it probably the way it was ironed with starch that causes that.

Again... please let us know after it's washed!

Glad you got to sew some yesterday!

Comment

Add me to the growing list of one that love the puckery shrinkage created with no pre-washing. Why pre-wash all the sizing out, when I add enough starch, when piecing, so the fabric can walk itself to the machine? I use mostly batiks, so I figure a little color bleeding will likely just look like it's supposed to be there. So far, I've been very lucky. I also love wool batting and lots of quilting, so the whole thing shrinks and lets texture really shine.

Comment

The flannel-backed pineapple is more than half quilted and I'm still enjoying it. I'm still convinced that starching the back is helping.

However, with the stabilizing stitching, a lot of the background, and some of the foreground quilting in, the flannel is getting a little fluffy again. I'm having to control my 'puddle' more carefully. That is: I have to center the flat area I'm working on under my needle more carefully and ensure that the rest of the quilt is more evenly disbursed around that 'puddle'. Then it's still easy to flow well and almost as much fun as a slick cotton back.

It's still much easier than the last time I tried a flannel back.

I'll get a picture of my progress in a blog post tonight.

(Welcome to the cool group, Beth! )

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X