[vb_main_1]

Ironing the quilt layers before basting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing the quilt layers before basting

I have flannel for the backing. Do I need to iron it before quilting? I bet you all do. I am wonkering how it will look after it is used for a while. Having little wrinkles before quilting may make it look bad. Lol I am lazy aren't I. Hope someone responds soon. I need a cheerleader. LOL Jan

I have started basting this quilt once, only to decide to use a white batt. Now I have to iron it all over so I can baste it with the white batt. It is full size. I ironed the flannel backing but it looks like I should iron it again. Wonder how it is going to look after it has been used a day? Lol Jan

Comment

Flannel shrinks a lot when washed. If your quilt will be washed some where down the line, Please wash the flannel before quilting. And yes you will have to iron it. Sorry. The voice of experience. Betty Ann

Comment

IT SHRINKS A LOT!!!!! Experience here, too!

Comment

I always wash my flannel TWICE in HOT water and dry it on the hottest setting, too. Flannel shrinks far more than ordinary cotton, and I want it to shrink BEFORE I include it in my quilt, not after.

And yes, you have to iron it before you use it. Otherwise, your cuts will be off.

BethMI

Comment

What do you mean your cuts will be off??? I washed it once. It didn't iron well or easily. Jan

Comment

Wrinkled fabric results in pieces that are too large. think about it and try it out with regular cotton. Take very wrinkled fabric, cut a 5 x 5 piece. Then iron it totally flat a re-measure. It will measure 5 1/8 or maybe even 5 1/4" instead of just 5". Same with flannel, except that flannel tends to be even more wriinkled than regular cotton.

BTW, when I iron my flannel, especially for backing, I use lots of fabric sizing and it comes out VERY flat and also slides smoothly over the bed of my machine while I am machine quilting it.

BethMI

Comment

What is fabric sizing? You can tell i am new to quilting. :?:

Comment

How come I seem to be the only one around here that likes the look quilts get when then shrink after quilting them? Even when I use flannel backs... I've been doing this long enough to go out of style at least three times already. Sheesh!

Wow! Great tip - I use starch a lot, but I never thought to starch or use sizing on my flannel backs to get them to slide more easily when I machine quilt them.

Comment

Originally posted by lorniki
                    What is fabric sizing? You can tell i am new to quilting. :?:
                    It's the stuff you iron shirts with. The spray can says "Magic Sizing". You'll find it with the spray starch in the laundry aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
                      How come I seem to be the only one around here that likes the look quilts get when then shrink after quilting them? Even when I use flannel backs... I've been doing this long enough to go out of style at least three times already. Sheesh!

Wow! Great tip - I use starch a lot, but I never thought to starch or use sizing on my flannel backs to get them to slide more easily when I machine quilt them.
                      Oh No Keith, you are not alone :lol: I love the way they shrink after being washed! And I have realized, if I do heavy quilting on my quilt it comes out real greate. I know a lot of people loves to prewash their fabric, but I dont :shock: .

Comment

Thanks, Brink! One of the things I love about quilting is that its my own little world - I can do whatever I want, however I want. In a somewhat educated way though. That's one great thing about this forum. And sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone... =)

Does anyone have any numbers about flannel shrinkage? Is it more than the 5% of the batts that I like?

Comment

I am with you Keith and Brink. I love the look of the quilt after washing. Trying to think of the right word....authentic.....antique...cozy.

Comment

I'm right there with you Keith, Brink and dogquillter.
                            Also I always use starch, first when I cut and then again right before I stitch the quilt together.
                            As far as flannel I think the amount of shrinkage depends on the mfg. and the quality just like cottons.
                            Keith I agree with you the nice thing about quilting is that you can play in your own little world, learn, create and just have fun. - (no quilt police).

Comment

Me, too! I'm in the soft, puckery, old fashioned camp! My quilts are, too! LOL!!! :lol:

Seriously though....if you are concerned about excessive shrinking, just pretest the fabric. Mark a square on the fabric with a permanent pen, then cut it out, leaving some extra around the marked square to allow for fraying; wash and dry it a time or two and re-measure. You can do the same thing with a piece of batting if you have a project that you need to keep relatively flat.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 59 users online. 0 members and 59 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X