[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Dresden Pattern Draft

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put the 16 blade on top of the 20 blade. The difference in size is somewhere between 0 - 1/8". That's why I would think that the seam allowance might not have been accurate.

Another thing that could have an impact would be the bias edge, depending on how it was cut, and if the seam was pressed during the assembly (could distort the fabric).

Mathematical challenge... :?

Andrée

Comment

WooHoo Andree!

Comment

This is another block where starching your fabric first could make a big difference because all four edges are bias!
        Remember to gently press, NOT iron, your seams and be extra careful not to distort them.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Great advice Margo!

Andrée

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
            This is another block where starching your fabric first could make a big difference because all four edges are bias!
            Remember to gently press, NOT iron, your seams and be extra careful not to distort them.
            I used 50/50 Stay-flo. You could have landed a small airplane on that fabric it was so stiff. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
              Put the 16 blade on top of the 20 blade. The difference in size is somewhere between 0 - 1/8". That's why I would think that the seam allowance might not have been accurate.

Another thing that could have an impact would be the bias edge, depending on how it was cut, and if the seam was pressed during the assembly (could distort the fabric).

Mathematical challenge... :?

Andrée
              And, you win the award for best informed reply! Thank you so much for that!!!
              OK, I went back to the pattern and matched the pattern piece with each blade and they all matched. I went back to my original paper circle and the quadrant I separated and folded fit in perfectly.
              It makes no sense.
              Here is the pattern piece. The flange part at the top is the facing for the point. I darkened some of the lines in Photoshop to be more easily seen.

Here is the finished Dresden with the 20 pieces.

It pressed flat and worked into the project beautifully, so I'm just going to let it ride.

Comment

It looks great. Sometimes our "badluck" are not so bad: you were missing the number of blades that would fit in your color arrangement perfectly!

Will we see the rest of this project?
                Andrée

Comment

It looks great. Sometimes our "badluck" are not so bad: you were missing the number of blades that would fit in your color arrangement perfectly!

Andrée
                  I really appreciate your help! I am taking notes on your findings so I can clean it up next time.
                  I am blogging about what I'm working on, but I'm not sure what the rules are about posting external links here, but here are the beginnings of it:
                  http://munizcouture.wordpress.com/20...18/whats-next/
                  The Dresden is part of my mother's pocket.

If links are taboo, I'll delete it immediately.
                  Thank you all for your help!

Comment

Fabulous!
                    You make very good use of different motifs in your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Andrée

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltpress

Andrée
                      I really appreciate your help! I am taking notes on your findings so I can clean it up next time.
                      I am blogging about what I'm working on, but I'm not sure what the rules are about posting external links here, but here are the beginnings of it:
                      http://munizcouture.wordpress.com/20...18/whats-next/
                      The Dresden is part of my mother's pocket.

No links are not taboo (unless they are plain nasty or pure spam adverts) However I loved going over and having a look at your blog. Your fashion commentry is pure fun, I will definitely be back.

Comment

Fabulous!
                        You make very good use of different motifs in your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Andrée
                        Thanks! I love combining different elements into a single design.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                          No links are not taboo (unless they are plain nasty or pure spam adverts) However I loved going over and having a look at your blog. Your fashion commentry is pure fun, I will definitely be back.[/quote]

Thanks!

Comment

Here's an easy way to make a Dresden plate on paper. It won't work for a single block with lots of fabrics, but will work for multiple 2 fabric blocks. You could cut the paper template into smaller sections for using with more fabrics, or increase the size when printing for a larger block. http://www.amc-quilts.com/sew_on_the_line.html. Click on the template on the bottom of the page for a PDF file. General instructions are at the top of the page. It finishes at about 5" with 16 petals that float on a 6" background.

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                              Here's an easy way to make a Dresden plate on paper. It won't work for a single block with lots of fabrics, but will work for multiple 2 fabric blocks. You could cut the paper template into smaller sections for using with more fabrics, or increase the size when printing for a larger block. http://www.amc-quilts.com/sew_on_the_line.html. Click on the template on the bottom of the page for a PDF file. General instructions are at the top of the page. It finishes at about 5" with 16 petals that float on a 6" background.
                              I'll check it out. Thanks!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 72 users online. 0 members and 72 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X