[vb_main_1]

Dresden Pattern Draft

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresden Pattern Draft

I drafted my first Dresden plate pattern and I thought I had it correct, but the construction in fabric really threw me off. I’d like to know if this has happened to anyone else.
    I began with an exact circle (drafted with a ruler fitted with compass holes) and divided it into 4 sections using the X and Y axis. I drew a smaller circle in the center for the familiar Dresden shape. I then separated one quadrant of the circle and folded it twice, down the center, forming 4 “petals”. I separated (cut) one petal and measured it against the other folds to make sure it didn’t grow or shrink. I then shaped the outer edge into the familiar Dresden point and added my seam allowance to the pattern shape.
    Now, by my calculations, 4 petals times 4 sections should equal 16, so, I cut 16 petals and began sewing. It was shaping up nicely, until I got to the last petal - I had a large gap in the plate. It wasn’t just an “Oh I can fudge seam allowance” kind of thing, it was a solid gap of about 4 petals; so, I stitched up another 4 petal section and boom, it fit beautifully and pressed perfectly flat. My plate was complete with 20 petals.
    I had just assumed I did something wrong in my calculations or folded incorrectly, but I checked my pattern and compared it the cut pieces and the finished plate. The pattern matched the finished petals and fit back into the original circle perfectly. Bizarre.
    I looked up other Dresden quilts and I noticed that a lot of them use 20 petals so I didn’t know if my situation was just the norm or if I had created some new kind of experimental math that I should be presenting to rocket scientists. LOL
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Quiltpress,
    Show 502 with Anelie Belden shows Dresden plate.
    Maybe you didn't allow for the 1/4 inch each side of the sections..........just a thought
    Anne

Comment

If I could see pictures of this... as if 5 petals make your quadrant, there must be an omission in the seam allowances perhaps?

Andrée

Comment

Originally posted by anne1
        Hi Quiltpress,
        Show 502 with Anelie Belden shows Dresden plate.
        Maybe you didn't allow for the 1/4 inch each side of the sections..........just a thought
        Anne
        Nope, I added seam allowance around the entire piece. But that was my thought too when I first noticed it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeBergeron
          If I could see pictures of this... as if 5 petals make your quadrant, there must be an omission in the seam allowances perhaps?

Andrée
          Nope, I added 1/4 inch seam allowance around the entire paper piece. I don't have the pattern with me, but I can post it later today if I get a chance. Thanks.

Comment

If we could see the cut pattern against the finished Dresden-Plate, might shed some light on this...

Andrée

Comment

If we could see the cut pattern against the finished Dresden-Plate, might shed some light on this...

Andrée
              I don't have it with me, but I'll post it as soon as I can.

Comment

What was the size of the inital circle (diameter)?
                Andrée

Comment

What was the size of the inital circle (diameter)?
                  Andrée
                  The drafted circle was 5 inches, but because of the extra 4 petal section I had to add, the circle grew to 6 inches. It wasn't that big of a deal because of where I was using it though, so i just went with it.

Comment

So the tip of the point would be on that line?
                    So, a 5 inches circle, and the inner circle was how big?
                    (sorry for asking many questions, but I think I have a clue)

Andrée

Comment

So the tip of the point would be on that line?
                      So, a 5 inches circle, and the inner circle was how big?
                      (sorry for asking many questions, but I think I have a clue)

Andrée
                      Ask away! Believe me, I was questioning my sanity as I was making it. LOL
                      The inner circle was 1" but grew to just under 2" when I had to add the extra 4 petal group.

Comment

Hi Quiltpress,

About 28 years ago I went through the same process of drafting a Dresden Plate and recall something in the math re the fact that you have two 1/4' added to each petal so total of 1/2 and inch etc. I'll see if I can find my original drafts up in studio and If I do will let you know how I figured it.

meanwhile, good luck

Jeanine

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
                          Hi Quiltpress,

About 28 years ago I went through the same process of drafting a Dresden Plate and recall something in the math re the fact that you have two 1/4' added to each petal so total of 1/2 and inch etc. I'll see if I can find my original drafts up in studio and If I do will let you know how I figured it.

meanwhile, good luck

Jeanine
                          Thanks!

Comment

You have to remember that the pieces, added together, have to equal 360 degrees. If they don't, you will never get it to work.

Comment

I think the answer is in the seam allowances. At this size, a small difference will have a huge impact.

I printed a Dresden plate drawn in EQ7, 16 blades (4 blades per quadrant) at 2.5 inches (to make a circle of 5 inches):

Then, another one, 20 blades (5 blades per quadrant) at 3 inches (to make a circle of 6 inches):

I cut one blade in each to put them side by side...

The point of the blades are identical...

(next post - I have another picture to show...)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 61 users online. 0 members and 61 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X