[vb_main_1]

Thread for Applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Margarita!
    I use an invisible applique stitch which is similar to what your manual recommends--a couple of straight stitches and one small stitch that goes in for a bite into the applique fabric. In my case, it actually looks like a couple of straight stitches and one zig-zag, then a couple of straight stitches again. I make my stitches very small because I go slowly and can actually take a teeny bite out of the applique fabric with that single zig-zag that goes inward.

I don't use a foot with a roller. I use what Bernina calls an open toe embroidery foot (#20) which comes standard with my machine. I move my needle all the way to the right so that the inner edge of the right prong of the foot is close to the applique and the needle will go into the background fabric right beside the applique. I know my explanation may not be clear. I'm attaching a photo but I could not get that to be totally clear so if anyone once to provide a clearer picture, I would welcome it.

For me, the key to a good applique stitch, besides not seeing the pokeys come through from the bobbin (a tension issue), and not that I'm any expert because I'm not, just picky about pretty stitches, is to make sure that the inside of your foot is always parallel to the applique fabric. When you have to stop, in the needle-down position to turn your fabric, I always do that when the stitch is doing one of the little straight stitches. I never turn the fabric when the needle is in the applique. If I did, then that bite of a stitch going into the applique will not look pretty.

And here is my not very good picture. Hope this helps!

Comment

I used to use a blind hem stitch which is like ...^...^...^...^

until I took a class with Libby Lehmann who uses a narrow zig-zag stitch and now that's all I use.
      Her reasoning is that with the blind hem stitch only every 4th stitch catches the edge of the applique, whereas with a zig-zag, every stitch catches the edge.
      DUH!! Makes sense to me. More stitches have got to mean more secure appliques!

I use MonoPoly on the top and loosen the top tension down to less than 1, use a length of 1 to 1.5 and width of 1 to 1.5, depending on the thickness of the applique.
      This zig-zag stitch is nowhere as visible as a satin stitch, which is a much smaller stitch length and larger width and usually done with a heavy thread so it will show.
      I want my applique zig-zag to be nearly invisible.

Like Renata, I also use an open toe applique foot. For Berninas it is foot #20.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thank you Ladies! Now I know I am on to a good thing, lots of affirmation of how I think it should be. Renata, I had almost worked that out about when to change and funnily enough I can see the "invisible" thread without changing glasses but I do have one of those amazing bendy lights and I think that helps a lot. My machine doesn't let me move the needle for this stitch it only lets me change the length and width, weird eh? Very envious of your Bernina photo. Margo, your comment makes perfect sense and what is better I can now forget about the idea even of dealing with the roller thingy. I am going to try zig-zag right now on the inside of my shape made up of hexagons. Much easier than trying to use the mirror image of the blanket stitch. This morning I showed my first piece of machine applique to a friend who is a dedicated hand quilter and she was very impressed - like me!! Thank you so much for all the support, I really appreciate it so much down here on Planet Venezuela.

Comment

Margarita, I say use whatever stitch you like and gives the result you want!!

Personally I love the blanket stitch for machine applique, but mostly use regular thread not mono with that. Perhaps the blind hem stitch is a better choice when using mono because with the blanket stitch there is overstitching and maybe that is not so good with mono. I don't use any special foot for blindhem stitch on my Bernina - I like an open toe foot so I can see the edge better.

Keep experimenting and find what works best for you.

Comment

Well, I keep hearing about the Bernina open toe foot so I looked online to see if there is one for Pfaff and bingo! so I ordered it. Funny I never saw one at the dealers but then I probably wasn't looking. Thank You again everyone.

Comment

Margarita - I think you'll love your open toe foot. I use mine for applique, paper piecing, anything where I really want to see where I'm going. I have an open toe on my walking foot, so that's the one I use for almost everything. But I still use my Bernina #20 foot for things where I don't want the walking foot.

Nancy

Comment

I just wanted to say that I am fortunate to have a very small piece of Margo's applique, which she probably had to rush through for this specific project, and yet, it is perfect! I CANNOT see the the stitches, and had to look on the backside to see if it was indeed stitched on the front! It is a raw edge applique, and those little stitches of hers, with the monopoly thread, literally dissapear into some of the fabrics! After seeing hers, I used the same technique on this year's BOM. (And, wished I'd used it on last year's BOM instead of hand applique, because I'd probably be a lot further along!)

Dawn
                In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Little zig-zag stitches on raw edge applique? Does that mean the edges of the applique are not turned under? Were they fused on? I wonder how neat that looks, I cannot quite imagine it!

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita
                    Little zig-zag stitches on raw edge applique? Does that mean the edges of the applique are not turned under? Were they fused on? I wonder how neat that looks, I cannot quite imagine it!
                    Margarita, I can't remember the exact applique that Dawn is referring to ops: (I've slept since then!) but I usually do turned edge applique with the narrow zig-zag.
                    When I (very occasionally) do raw edge, I usually use a very narrow border of fusible web just around the raw edges, so that the center stays soft.

I do this by drawing the shape on the paper side of the fusible web, cutting the fusible web a scant 1/4" inside the edge of the motif, so that I'm left with a kind of donut shape of fusible. That gets fused to the back of my fabric and the final shape is cut out. That way, there is just a narrow band of fusible to secure the raw edges.
                    And I don't recommend this for projects that will be laundered a lot.

Dawn, can you tell if I fused the edges???

Comment

Yup! The edges are not turned under. I'm pretty sure she fused them, and as to how neat that looks, hers is perfect. I think the key here is to use good fabrics, so there is no fraying at the edges.

Okay, Margo, I just saw your post and decided to take a small picture. The problem is the flash reflects off of the monopoly making it look like it shows, when with the naked eye, it does NOT! I'm pretty sure the needle holes in the upper right are because you used a staiblizer under the white so the green would not show through. And, the white is turned under the stabilizer. (Little did you know this would become my inspiration for all of my future applique. And, I have slept since receiving this piece, too. :wink: )

Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by Scoopie
                        Yup! The edges are not turned under. I'm pretty sure she fused them, and as to how neat that looks, hers is perfect. I think the key here is to use good fabrics, so there is no fraying at the edges.

Okay, Margo, I just saw your post and decided to take a small picture. The problem is the flash reflects off of the monopoly making it look like it shows, when with the naked eye, it does NOT! I'm pretty sure the needle holes in the upper right are because you used a staiblizer under the white so the green would not show through. And, the white is turned under the stabilizer. (Little did you know this would become my inspiration for all of my future applique. And, I have slept since receiving this piece, too. :wink: )

Dawn

:lol: Now I remember the piece, but not the method! :lol:
                        Getting old is not for sissies!

Comment

Thanks again, the applique does look perfect - a piece of Sunbonnet Sue? So for a baby quilt one might use raw edge for speed but stitch it down with real (not invisible!) thread and a close blanket stitch so it looks pretty. I made a baby quilt and did some turned edge no fusible and some with fusible because I got fed up and was in a hurry, although I was hand stitching them the fusible ones look kind of stiff, is this what you mean about doing just the edges? Can't show you the photo but I have just phoned the mother of the baby and threatened to go over to her house and take the quilt back if she doesn't send me the wonderful photos she took of it the day I gave it to her!

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita
                            Thanks again, the applique does look perfect - a piece of Sunbonnet Sue? So for a baby quilt one might use raw edge for speed but stitch it down with real (not invisible!) thread and a close blanket stitch so it looks pretty. I made a baby quilt and did some turned edge no fusible and some with fusible because I got fed up and was in a hurry, although I was hand stitching them the fusible ones look kind of stiff, is this what you mean about doing just the edges? Can't show you the photo but I have just phoned the mother of the baby and threatened to go over to her house and take the quilt back if she doesn't send me the wonderful photos she took of it the day I gave it to her!
                            Yes, by trimming out the center of the fusible, you protect the raw edges, but the centers remain soft without the stiffness you usually get with a fusible.

Comment

Is there any way that we can down load the classroom lessons? If not is there a video of them that we can buy? Thanks, Jimmie

Comment

If you look in the Shoppe all the DVDs of the classes are available by Series. I don't think you can download them but depending on how long you have been a member you can see all the series as often as you like. Am not sure about this though, it tells you in My Account which shows you can watch or send to a friend. Hope this helps.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 77 users online. 0 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X