[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Machine Applique (IMA)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quilt I'm working on now has 24" pieced blocks in a variation of Drunkard's Path. There's a large white area in which I'll be doing a bit of embroidery for stems, and appliqueing flowers and leaves using the blanket stitch, and I plan to put a sheet of tearaway paper behind the whole block while working on that part. How do you keep it in place, by pinning or basting it?

Pat in Rockport, TX who's still learning after 46 years of quilting

Comment

Good Question, Pat. I wondered that myself. I think I would try pinning it. But if its lightweight, would is slip?

Comment

Just a little update on my progress... ( I'll be done with this quilt top before I figure out my stitch technique.... Either that or I'll toss out my machine & get a new one! )

I'm using Bottom Line in the bobbin and monofilimant in the top. . Even still, I have some loops from the bobbin showing on top. I'm sewing with the top tension about 2.5. After seeing one of the posts above, maybe I should lower it even more.

ONTO another topic...... At a recent quilt show, I saw a beautifully machine appliqued quilt with the stems top stitched, rather than using a IMA technique. I thought it looked great. So, on one of my blocks, I top stitched the stems. It looks good. I hate to mix techniques within a quilt. But I'm considering this my "test" project anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
          The quilt I'm working on now has 24" pieced blocks in a variation of Drunkard's Path. There's a large white area in which I'll be doing a bit of embroidery for stems, and appliqueing flowers and leaves using the blanket stitch, and I plan to put a sheet of tearaway paper behind the whole block while working on that part. How do you keep it in place, by pinning or basting it?

Pat in Rockport, TX who's still learning after 46 years of quilting
          I use an Elmer's (washable) glue stick.

Comment

What a good idea, I'll try the glue stick.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Yes, yes, on the glue stick! I adopted this from the Sharon Schamber methodology. She is a master and her web site has the best video librarary!!! And SOME of them are free!

On another note, PKNord, I rec'd my needle sharpener from Clotilde over the weekend and haven't tried it yet. I have to find a magnifying lens good enough to enable me to see the needle size first on all of my old needles! I expect this little baby to save me some bucks! Of course there are always the ones I break and bend that are gone forever, but still.................

Lynn

Comment

Good for you, Lynn, I really love mine. And I'm really enjoying being a member on Sharon Schamber's web site, I'm learning so many good things there.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X