[vb_main_1]

Machine Applique (IMA)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Applique (IMA)

I seem to be having a small problem. I am using nylon thread with cotton in the bobbin. I have my applique pieces starched, pressed and turned under. They are lightly glued to the background fabric. After I stitch, the background fabric puckers a bit I'm using the invisible stitch that looks something like ___^___^.

I read that my bobbin thread may be too tight. I loosened the bobbin and that corrected THAT problem. No more puckers.... But now the bobbin is pulling up and instead of the invisible thread on top. I see the bobbin thread. I've tried minute adjustment after minute adjustment and can't get it balanced. Am I going in the right direction???

I haven't experimented with different threads too often and think that it may be the nylon thread causing me the problem. Today I bought some Superior polyester thread and thought I'd try that. But if anyone has any other pointers, I'd sure love to hear.

Thanks,

Anne in Illinois

anne, I think you'll love the superior thread once you start using it.
    my experience with different threads in top and bobbin is that it's very difficult to get the tension right.

frankly, I wonder why invisible thread was ever invented. :?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. .. Would I use the Superior Poly in both the bobbin & the top? I think I'll go give it a try.

Comment

Anne-

Try a size 60 or 70 (the smaller the better) needle with a straight stitch throat plate. If you don't have a straight stitch throat plate, see your sewing machine dealer.

Also, not all invisible threads are the same. Try Madera monofilament. It is a polyester thread and won't melt when blocking your quilt.

Terry

Comment

If you're using the blind hem stitch, you won't be able to use a straight stitch plate, of course. I agree that you will be better off using the same thread in the top and bobbin.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

I'm using Superior or YLI polyester invisible in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin---which is a lighter weight thread.

I'm new at this, but it seems to be working. Using a size 60 needle.

Comment

I'll check my needle size. I don't know why I get confused by those numbers, but I do. The larger size is the smaller needle, right? Also, I am using sharps. would that matter?

I sewed very little tonight. Just piecing a few patches together. I ended up with Bottom line in the bobbin & a superior mono poly in the upper. I didn't think that it may melt. OH Dear. Should I rethink the poly?

I do like the look & feel of the Bottom Line, but the color I bought does not do well with my fabrics.

Comment

No, the smaller the number the smaller the needle. 110 is BIG like for top stitching with heavier thread, ie. blue jeans.

60 is very small. 70 is a little larger. 80 is average for most sewing projects.

I think the 'melty' is nylon........not poly. Superior poly is a fine product as is SewFine(I think that's the brand) and YLI.

I tried Gutterman invisible and it's very thick. Not good for this application at all.

The three I mentioned above are all 0.004 in thread thickness.

That's about all I know so far.............oh, also didn't like the Coats and Clarks for this purpose. Maybe for others, but it's coarser, too.

Comment

Lynn, thanks for helping me with needle size. It's thread that is smaller as the # gets bigger. LOL, I guess I'll have to make myself a cheat sheet so I won't keep forgetting.

Anne in Illinois

Comment

Anne, you are not alone in needing a cheat sheet to keep track of needles, thread, etc. When I took a class for my new Bernina, I asked if they had a needle chart with size and purpose for each needle--and, sure enough, they gave all of us a copy. Maybe we need to ask the thread companies for the same thing. Judy

Comment

Originally posted by Judymc
                      Anne, you are not alone in needing a cheat sheet to keep track of needles, thread, etc. When I took a class for my new Bernina, I asked if they had a needle chart with size and purpose for each needle--and, sure enough, they gave all of us a copy. Maybe we need to ask the thread companies for the same thing. Judy
                      The problem with that (according to Bob The Thread Guy of Superior Threads) is that there is no universal system for threads.

:roll:

One brand's 40 is another brands 60....ya just gotta figure it out fer yerself!

I have used YLI brand "invisible" nylon for years, and never had any trouble with it melting. Maybe my iron's not hot enough???

As for the tension with invisible thread, I don't ever mess with my bobbin tension for machine applique, but I do loosen my top tension quite a bit. I just don't want the bobbin thread to show on the top, and it also seems to take care of the puckers. One more thing you might want to try....starch your BACKGROUND fabric, too! I find that helps a lot!
                      Good luck!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Yes, Margo. I'm just now learning the advantages of using starch or sizing! It really does make such a differnce in the handle-ability of the fabric during sewing. Worth it, for sure!

Comment

I don't change my bobbin tension when using nylon (monofilament) as the top thread. I have done a lot of invisible thread machine applique with it using the zig-zag stitch set at 1.5 width and 1.5 length....and most important I loosen my top tension to between 1.5 and 0. On my machine, my usual tension setting for 40 weight thread is 4 to 3.5.

Hope this helps...I love monofilament thread...I regularly use YLI.

Dorene

Comment

I'm a weekend quilter and am just getting back to my project. After reading all of your posts and practicing a bit, I am leaning toward the thought that my machine won't make perfect stitches with nylon on top & cotton in the bobbin. I am still going to practice a bit. Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions. Anne

Comment

Well I'm going to take a chance here and make a suggestion. Perhaps your background fabric needs to be stabilized a bit to keep it from puckering. Lightweight stabilizer works great....but sometimes, if I don't have any (in a pinch) I'll slip a piece of paper under the piece to give the feed dogs something else to grip instead of the fabric. Sheets of newsprint work very well and they tear away easily. Might be worth a try.
                              Good luck. I know little things like this can be very frustrating.
                              LindaKs

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18 users online. 0 members and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X