No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What is your favorite applique method / techinque????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Margo
    Ruthann, your blog is amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! And we are glad to have you on the forum!
    Margo
    Thanks! I am so thrilled to have found this site -- my sister (NanaBamaQuilter) sent me the link last week. She and my sister-in-law are the reason I am now a quilting addict!

Ruthann

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I found the most interesting YouTube video on a different way of lining up your applique pieces. I use plastic to line up my applique, but I've always just marked vertical and horizontal lines so I could get the placement correct when it is time to do another piece.

How do people come up with these ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqyfNcMgI9Y&NR=1

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

What a slick trick!!! I don't know where the ideas come from; but, I'm mighty glad people share them!!!

Comment

Well, how cool is THAT!! Thanks for sharing JoJo!!

Comment

cool! thanks JoJo!

Comment

Hand or machine? Both

Hand: Mostly freezer paper on back, starch, turn edges, remove paper, glue baste to top. My current project is fused with steam a steam 2 lite, then blanket stitch by hand with Cosmo thread. I will definitely be trying back basting with my next project, that has just a few pieces.

Back basting
              prepared templets
              un- prepared

freezer paper on top

cut away

Machine: My first machine applique was fused then machine blanket stitched on top. My current project I'm doing the applique portion by hand, since there are some really small pieces (Hop to IT) and I wasn't happy with my machine blanket stitching. This is just a wonderful, portable project.
              invisible thread edges
              raw edge applique
              fusible....... full templet or windowed

button holed
              or
              zig zag

Comment

I love all applique. I enjoy a quick fusible project. I love a leasurely needleturn project.

Lately, I finished a new applique quilt that's made from my husband's light house photos. It's the coolest technique! I trace the photo onto plastic. At this point it's possible to enlarge on a copier by placing it face down. Use the reversed image and trace onto white muslin. Pin sky or first fabric onto plain side of muslin, turn over and stitch on marked lines. Trim close to line. Continue this way until the whole photo is complete. Now using stabilizer and a thin hoop, cover stitching lines with satin stitch. Layer and quilt, adding details like clouds and grass.

Check out my profile to see the quilt. It just won Best of Show at my guild's show. Yea! nancy in sunny western NYS

Comment

Here is Nancy's lighthouse quilt. It looks wonderful, Nancy!!

Comment

Where does Nancy live? Does she have a burglar alarm? Does she have a window large enough for me to fit through? When will the house be empty?................ I want that quilt! Lighthouses have always been a passion of mine (long story), and I have actually hugged the one in the middle of the bottom row during my one and only trip to the US. Sooner or later I'll make myself a lighthouse quilt.
                    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Nancy, your lighthouse quilt is beautiful.

Comment

I am a little late to this particular party, but as some of you already know, I am crazy about applique in the hoop. I digitized the 2010 BOM and am on the final swag flowers which will complete the quilt top. Instead of using just a satin stitch or button hole stitch to secure the edges, I experiment with decorative stitches to create different edge effects with some that look like lace. 8) If you remember a TQS show with either Sue Nichols or Pat Holly (I can't remember which one off the top of my head), she demonstrated using decorative stitches to create new fabric. I use pattern fills to do the same. The majority of the effort goes into digitizing and the sewout can take up to 4 hours. The blocks took 2 hoopings with the Bernina 830 jumbo hoop. If anyone is interested, I have posted photos in Show and Tell. I also piece in the hoop ops: . Well, I figured if I bought this beast, it was going to earn its keep!

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

My favorite technique of applique is always turned under edges. For simple shapes like hills or leaves I just starch them under. For more complex shapes like a birds head I use freezer paper. For tiny complex shapes Needle turning is the only way to go.

Kathy
                          http://www.kathymcneilquilts.com

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 31 users online. 0 members and 31 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X