No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What is your favorite applique method / techinque????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite applique method / techinque????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your favorite applique method / techinque???? and why?

Copy and paste the poll into your post then fill in YOUR answers. We had an interesting discussion at group today and I was wondering if it would hold true to ON LINE groups.....

Hand or machine?

Hand:

Back basting
    prepared templets
    un- prepared

freezer paper on top

cut away

Machine:
    invisible thread edges
    raw edge applique
    fusible....... full templet or windowed

button holed
    or
    zig zag

My Favorite:

Hand applique
    Back Basting

Why?

Easiest to prepare
    Very portable - those pieces are never going to move
    I find it more accurate

I found the method in a Quilters Newsletter Magazine and tried it out then I did a workshop with Jo Morton who uses this method
    I have also bought all the Jeanna Kimball books where she explains the method thoroughly

Comment

My favorite method: by hand using freezer paper templates (iron on, trace around, remove paper, glue-baste to background, and then needleturn). I use silk thread and a straw (milliner's) needle 10 or 11.

Reasons: I like the fact that I can watch TV and hand applique at same time. It is also very relaxing, and I like the results. I use the back-basting method occasionally but save it for patterns where precise placement is critical. Most of the designs I do are more primitive, so placement is not critical. In fact, I like it if my version is a little different from the designer's.

Comment

Could someone explain back basting?

Comment

You trace the applique pattern on to the reverse of the background fabric. Then place the applique fabric on the right side of the background fabric and just hold it steady with a pin. Then you baste on the drawn line . Turn the piece over and cut away the excess applique fabric leaving 1/8" seam. Then you release a few of the basting stitches and start needle turning the applique piece under. It is easy to just flip the whole piece now and again to see that you are appliquing exactly on the marked line. The fabric turns under easily as the act of basting almost marks the fabric so it knows where to turn.

Jeanna Kimball's book Virtues gives a very good explanation of how it is done but I think the book is hard to find now

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanx Maureent. I like applique but don't have alot of experience. Yet! What I've done so far has been with freezer paper on the back. I've done one piece of reverse applique but wasn't crazy about the results. It's the hummingbird on one of the quilts in my profile. I do plan to do more of it though and get better. I like doing handwork. Thanx again! Sherry

Comment

My preferred choice...
              Basting with needle turn. The pieces don't move around...and I don't have to deal with thread becoming caught in the pins. It is so portable.

FW

Comment

Hand- needle turn
                freezer paper on top
                I use all methods of basting, depending on the need.

Comment

neeldle turn

Comment

Hand or machine? I've done both

Hand:

prepared templates or needle turn
                    freezer paper on bottom
                    cut away

Why: I took a class with Becky Goldsmith and one with Pat Campbell. Different methods altogether. My local teacher showed me the freezer paper on the bottom method.

Machine:
                    invisible thread edges

button holed

Why: It's faster But I'm just learning.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Hand or machine? I like to do both, depending on the project.
                      Hand:
                      Back basting
                      prepared templates
                      un- prepared
                      freezer paper on top
                      cut away -
                      None of the above. I like to put freezer paper templates on the back, then starch the edges down. Then I remove the freezer paper, glue baste the applique down and applique with silk thread.

Machine:
                      invisible thread edges - Sometimes
                      raw edge applique - Sometimes
                      fusible....... full template or windowed - Both, depending on the size of the piece. Some are too small to be windowed.
                      button holed - Sometimes
                      or
                      zig zag - Never that I recall but I have used other decorative machine stitches.

Interesting topic. I'm anxious to hear all the answers. I didn't know about back-basting before except that I heard Maureen mention it earlier.
                      Sharon in cool Colorado

Comment

Hand or machine?

Hand. I have tried machine applique, but don't like it much.

Hand:

Back basting
                        prepared templets
                        un- prepared

freezer paper on top

cut away

I just cut out my shapes and pin them on, then needle-turn them. If the shapes are large I will baste them down with thread, but otherwise I don't bother. I am too lazy to use freezer paper usually. However, it depends what I am trying to do and how complex it is. I will do whatever it takes to make it easier!

Machine:
                        invisible thread edges
                        raw edge applique

I prefer handwork to machine.

button holed
                        or
                        zig zag

I have in the past done fusible stuff by machine (my machine has a `hand look' buttonhole which is quite useful, though its been years since I used it. I haven't done any zig-zag. I have neck and shoulder problems, so tend to only use the machine for piecing (though I am hand piecing a lot right now), so thats why I stick to hand work more than machine. I would try more machine work, but its not worth the pain!

Comment

I am so lazy I rarely try anything that can't be done by machine. With all the decorative stitches it can look almost hand done these days.

Comment

I especially love to digitize my appliques when possible. I made 24 blocks this year for my (guild) secret pal that way. I used PE-Design 6 in Layout and Editing and a BabyLock Ellageo3. Of course it took two months to get it perfected since I was learning, but the stitch-outs were smooth and more efficient than doing it manually.)

Two years ago I came across Baltimore Album blocks designed by Mimi Dietrich and Yuko Sato in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. I found it so charming I bought Ms. Dietrich's book and made a BOM for my last year's secret pal. I loved all the dimensional flowers and tried two freezer paper techniques: top and bottom. I preferred the paper underneath and just turned the edges as I appliqued, but I know there are a few papers I forgot to remove, and no, I did not cut the back to remove them! On the other hand, on my last quilt, Georgia's Plates, the one I am paper-piecing in my profile picture, I did do machine applique and enjoyed it very much.

Louisa
                            SE OK

PS I edited this to ask if anyone has the embroidery module for their Aurora 440QE and if so, could you tell me about it? I am wondering/debating/rethinking whether I should have gotten it for my machine...sigh...

Comment

Hand or machine?

Hand: never - I don't do handwork of any sort if I can help it! :roll:

Machine: always
                              I like to use a variation of Eleanor Burn's method, I don't use the fusible interfacing, I use a wash-away stabilizer and just dot some Roxanne's glue around the edges to hold it in place when I stitch
                              invisible thread edges mostly
                              raw edge applique for some quilts
                              fusible....... full templet or windowed I've done both

button holed if the quilt calls for it
                              or zig zag ditto - though I use a Satin Stitch or a scribble stitch rather than an "open" zig zag

JOY

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20 users online. 0 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X