[vb_main_1]

ice dyeing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

ice dyeing

I am an absolutely brand new dyer and just tried ice dyeing. It is fantastic! Check out the results on my blog:

http://www.priscillakibbee.blogspot.com

I am hooked. :lol:

Priscilla Kibbee

http://www.priscillakibbee.citymax.com

This weekend is the Rocky Mtn. Quilt Festival and there will be woman there demonstrating that technique. I will read your blog and I have wanted to try dyeing for quite some time. Thanks, Sharon in CO

Comment

Sharon, let's get together and try it. Are you going to be there on Friday?

Judy

Comment

Judy, I sent you a personal message, but yes I will be there on Friday.

Sharon

Comment

Did you sprinkle powder dye on top of the ice or mix the dye before applying over the ice? I did some recent playing with ice dying and it's a lot of fun and so simple for setup.

Saw your blog. Love the most recent results.

Clara

Comment

It is super easy. Just sprinkle the powder (use a mask of course) on the ice and wait 24 hours or overnight. I like deep colors so I used a heavy hand with the dye.

Comment

I've done some ice dyeing this spring- it's lot of fun and really easy. I gave some FQ to my friends in my mini group from one of the sessions. There are a few articles out about ice dyeing, a couple in Quilting Arts magazine. It's so amazing how varied people's results are! I do mine in the garage, then take everything inside to my front bathroom and put all the bins in the bathtub overnight. it's so hard to wait overnight for the results!

Right now the idea of ice sounds good, but being out in the garage doesn't. It's so hot outside!

Kathy

Comment

It also works with snow. I've sprinkled the dye powder on the snow covered fabric and also mixed up a strong solution of dye and applied in a squirt bottle. I'd say you have a bit more control of what color goes where if it's a liquid. Awesome results. I will do more this winter.

Comment

We have a lot of snow at my house. It is the only snowfall we got this winter - so far. We got 8 inches. Sleet and rain is predicted tomorrow. I want to do some snow dyeing with Procion MX dyes before all the snow goes away.

Question for those of you with some experience snow dyeing:
                  How much dye do you sprinkle on the snow?

Judith

Comment

Judith, I mixed the dye and then poured it over the snow. I didn't mix full strength, but pretty strong, by the time it make it through the snow it would be diluted. It worked out very well. I can message you privately with pictures if that would help. You can also google snow dyeing and there is a lot of info out there.

I have seen sprinkle it on the snow, but have never tried it.

Have fun with it, Sharon

Comment

Thank you Sharon,
                      I scoured the fabric yesterday. It is soaking in Soda Ash water now. I have some old dyes that I am going to try. Nothing to lose!

Judith

Comment

Judith, I have never scoured the fabric, just let it soak I. Soda ask, be sure to post pictures.
                        Sharon

Comment

Dang auto correct. I just soak it in soda ash. Post pics.

Comment

I have enjoyed ice dyeing. A couple of weeks ago my area got a little snow and was able to try snow dyeing. I soaked 2 - 1 yard pieces of PFD fabric in a soda ash solution about thirty minutes before squeezing the water out of the fabric. I laid each yard fabric on top of a screen and piled snow over the fabric. I then sprinkled about 1/2 teaspoon of three primary colors of Procion dyes over each. I wore gloves and a good mask. I set the screens over large tubs on my screen porch. It took about three days before the snow melted. I rinsed the fabric before washing the fabric in hot water Retayne.

Comment

Picture please?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 50 users online. 0 members and 50 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X