[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Ricky's fabric

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am usually a good speller but tonight I guess my proofreading skills were left on the door step. So you are right it should have been a dyeing DVD. Well that is one more mistake today for me. Hugs, Ann

Comment

Ann, I'm sure that in quilting circles it the most common spelling/typing error made, and it always amuses me.

I get things wrong all the time. One of my most recent mistakes, when filling in a form in school, with very little time: 'Jack has been given a lunchtime detention because he kept using fowl language in the technology lesson.'

Lorchen
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Cock-a-doodle-doo??(just couldn't resist) Julie

Comment

ricky this message is for you:
          the last show have seen you dye hand dye fabric with glue.
          when i did some japanes courses how to create paper, we dye fabric as well and the japanees do have very nice methods for it.
          what i remember from that course, we dyed with bleach! dark fabric or medium fabric dye it with all sort of things from brushes big scale to syringe very fine all with bleach.
          the bleach can be diluted so you can get an effects from strong bleach to very weak one. -good luck if you try it.

Comment

Ditto....am intrgued by this also and would be more than game to give it a go!

And me to..... you lucky people who get to go to La Veta

Jill Australia

Taree NSW - Australia
            My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Over here in the Uk we have a very nice lady - Helen Deighan who does 'Dyeing in Plastic Bags' I've found her methods great for fat quarter sized pieces and even managed larger, though it depends on the size of your bag. Also good for lots of colour playing in one go because you don't run out of tubs/containers! and they don't take up too much room.

find her at http://www.crosswayspatch.co.uk

Rosemary.

Taree NSW - Australia
              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Has anyone used the PFD (prepared for dying) fabric I bought a small amount but have not used it yet Also has anyone used the Bubble Jet Set 2000 and Bubble Jet Rinse I have just bought some Rit dye and am going to try it in small pieces The PFD fabric looks like Muslin but I like the sateen look I am going to use some white fabric I have on hand jean082

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

PFD fabric has not been bleached like some muslin off the bolt has, so it will accept the dye better. Here is some info to help you understand the differences between PFD, RFD and off-the bolt fabrics: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/208818-AA.shtml

Rit dye is NOT the same as the Procion dyes which are a commercial grade. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...lnav=dyes.html

Bubble Jet Set is a great product to pre-treat fabric to make it colorfast when making labels. It sets the printer inks so they won't fade.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I have successfully used Bubble Jet to print both labels and photos on fabric using my inkjet printer. Also, I use the Bubble Jet treated fabric for signatures to be later included in signature quilts. The signatures are written using Sharpie or Pigma ink pens.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
                      I have successfully used Bubble Jet to print both labels and photos on fabric using my inkjet printer. Also, I use the Bubble Jet treated fabric for signatures to be later included in signature quilts. The signatures are written using Sharpie or Pigma ink pens.
                      Please be aware that the ink Sharpie pens has a lot of acid in it. You can smell it when you take the cap off, and they are often labeled "not for letter writing or cloth".
                      I have no idea what this acid will eventually do to the fabric.

Micron Pigma pens are acid free, and are recommended for archival work. If you are doing something that you hope will be an heirloom, you probably should choose the Pigmas.

Comment

I would be very interested also in learning about the dyeing process. . . I probably won't do it right now, but would like to know how if I chose to jump in and do it.

Comment

[quote="snowplow3840"]I have been advocating a dying DVD by Justin and Jeff and Ellen

As I sit here 4years after your post and look down at my blue, black and purple fingers, I'm thinking I need to learn more. My first batch came out too pale and the colors separated out so the instead of black and grey, I got purple and grey. Found another article that addressed dyeing with black so I tried their suggestions today. My squirt bottle leaked so the ungloved hand looks like a bad case of frostbite. The hand I wore the glove on is better except my pointer finger sprung a leak! I tried a differnt formula for the dye and added some blue to tone down the purple bits. I also presoaked in the chemical water rather than adding it later. I'm letting it sit overnight. We'll see what happens. Do any of you add water softner? My water is very hard so I wondered if that may have been part of my problem. The current batch is my 2nd try. I have to admit it's alot of fun in a mad scientist kind of way.

Sarah

Comment

Yes I would love it. I just would like to use it for my own quilts not to sell or be in compition with Ricky. Like I every could

Comment

I'm not very good at forum stuff, but here is some general info on handdyeing for anyone interested. Glass or plastic works best with the chemicals of hand dyes, so I save pasta jars, pickle jars etc for mixing chemicals, I test them with water to see if they leak around the lid, if they don't they are good. I also save the large plastic coffee containers, which will dye up to 2 yards of 45 inch fabric. The small butter tubs or any plastic container with lids are good for dying up a fat quarter. I recomend bying just the primary colors to begin and learn to mix your others. Hand dyeing is like playing with your crayons in kindergarten, just soooo much fun. The process can be done in your kitchen if you don't have room, the clean up is with water and it is non toxic. A very good resource is Color by Accident by Ann Johnson. That book has enough information to get you started. I order all my supplies from Dharma Trading. Good luck, Angie

Comment

I agree with all posts and have sent a comment to the Quilt Show. I want them to do a show or DVD on dyeing. i bought all the procion dyes from Dharma and have the PFD fabric, just need to "see" how to do it! Let's continue to campaign for a show or DVD on it!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 81 users online. 0 members and 81 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X