[vb_main_1]

Art Quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art Quilts

I am interested in learning the basics/beginnings of how to create art quilts (I am a traditional quilter). Could you recommend some excellent beginning books and/or sites.

Of course Ricky's book on Convergence. And after seeing Vicki Pignatelli today, her book on Improvisational Quilting would be good, I'm sure. Since I'm just making the 'break' myself out of the traditional sector, I'll be interested in seeing other responses. Go to Web shots and look at some of the quilts there and read about their origins.

Comment

Barbara Olson's Journey of an Art Quilter is an excellent book. One of the best I've purchased lately.

She will be on one of the upcoming episodes here if I remember correctly.

Also on my art quilt library shelf:

Thread Magic by Eleen Anne Eddy

Thread Play by Libby Lehman

Comment

OMG how could I not mention Libby's book after seeing her this weekend? It was great..........and I think I might actually be able to do some of what she taught! Her book is well done, too.

Comment

Lynn, I guarantee you can do whatever Libby taught. I've taken workshops with her, and her tips and directions are excellent! She's in my personal "Top Three Favorite Teachers" list. Betcha you can guess who the other two are! :wink:

(Edited for typos, although I should probably just think of them as my "trademark".)

And now edited to add:
          I'd also recommend A Workshop With Velda Newman (C&T Publishing, 2002) and The Basic Guide to Dyeing & Painting Fabric by Cindy Walter and Jennifer Priestley (Krause Publications, 2002). The first has specific project lessons to build techniques (kind of like Journey of an Art Quilter has). The second, because it covers all sorts of dyeing and painting, seems like a good way to get a feel for the differences and how to get started. I haven't really tried any others on that subject, so I can't compare it.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPorcupine
            I am interested in learning the basics/beginnings of how to create art quilts (I am a traditional quilter). Could you recommend some excellent beginning books and/or sites.
            Buy the magazine called Quilting Arts

Comment

I hope it's okay to mention here that I've signed up for the basic fabric dyeing class at Quilt University. I've also recently taken a class from Robbi Joy Eklow and one from Esterita Austin. I'm just beginning this journey also. I've bought several of the books already mentioned, as well as "Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter" by Katie Pasquini Masopust.
              I think online classes here for Star members would be a great idea, don't all of you?

Eileen Keane, mailto:mpkemk@frontiernet.net
              http://www.designingquilts.com
              Gammill Classic w/IS Turbo(cl)
              Maybrook, NY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I agree whole heartedly with the teachers and books mentioned earlier. What I suggest is to learn techniques from all of them by doing small works maybe 5X7 or 8X10. Get as many techniques in your arsenal as you can, then combine two or three or more to create a work that reflects your vision. To me what separates an art quilt from a contemporary quilt is its uniqueness. The phrase "Ummm That's Different!" is often repeated when viewing my work. I love that. An Art Quilt should be like a mirror and reflect its maker. Find a group of fellow quilter who will give constructive critiques, and emotional supporrt. then Produce, Produce, Produce. Have fun on your journey. Betty Ann in HOT Florida

Comment

Excellent advice.

Anne B.

Comment

We are so lucky here on TQS that Alex and Ricky invite and embrace so many different quilting genres! From the most traditional all the way to the most "artistic". Thank you, ARJJ!!

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                      We are so lucky here on TQS that Alex and Ricky invite and embrace so many different quilting genres! From the most traditional all the way to the most "artistic". Thank you, ARJJ!!

DITTO!!! Whoo Hoo! Cheers!!!

Comment

It's amazing. Welcome to the forum Anne

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I agree that experimenting is a great way to explore Art Quilting. One of the things I love about Art Quilts is that you can mix together so many techniques in a piece.
                          I have always played with fabrics and thread (embroidery, sewing), as well traditional art (drawing, painting). So art quilts have been an natural for me. I do lean toward fabric painting. I tend to use it on most of my pieces in some way. But I am always looking for new techniques. Quilt University has been very helpful in that way.
                          Small pieces are a great way to play with different techniques. Have fun and start playing.

Comment

Thanks to whoever reopened this thread. In January I began a new adventure as a longarm quilter. As I have twenty years experience in the quilting world, I have a technicial skill level that I expect of myself. I am most surley not there yet with my longarm work. Up pops this thread with advice from the five years ago me. It says Produce, Produce, Produce. Okay Quilt Gods I get the message. I will only get better with practice. Baby steps. Thanks 2007 Betty Ann for the good advice. Signed 2012 Betty Ann

Comment

It appears to have been read by a newbie to the forum. Good advice is just that: good advice.

Originally posted by bettyannseeman
                              Thanks to whoever reopened this thread. In January I began a new adventure as a longarm quilter. As I have twenty years experience in the quilting world, I have a technicial skill level that I expect of myself. I am most surley not there yet with my longarm work. Up pops this thread with advice from the five years ago me. It says Produce, Produce, Produce. Okay Quilt Gods I get the message. I will only get better with practice. Baby steps. Thanks 2007 Betty Ann for the good advice. Signed 2012 Betty Ann

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X