[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Beginners questions/doubts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice. Lorchen - I guess I could open a few more bottles of wine to over-dye? I think I might need help! Any offers? :lol:
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Well maybe just a half glass as I will be driving! Hic!

Comment

Originally posted by JudithLee
        To Peter regarding dyes that come out weak...
        II had the same problem. I am told that the three main reasons that Procion dyes come out weak are:
        (1) forgetting to use soda ash or not using enough soda ash.
        (2) old dyes. One source said they don't last longer than 4 years. Another said they only last a year, and can go bad in 1 day if stored in the heat.
        (3) not processing them at the right temperature. If they batch at two low a temperature, they don't bond. If you use water that is too hot, it kills the dyes, and the dye doesn't take. It just keeps bleeding out of your fabric and washes down the drain. This was my problem.

Also, make sure you rinse first with cold water and then gradually rinse with warmer water, and finally wash in 140 F water, with a little Synthraool. This is so important to prevent bleeding. Works for me. Water runs clear after this last step.

Judy Austin
        Originally posted by JudithLee
        Suggestions for Crocus regarding the dye experiment with wine....
        Test it for bleeding by ironing the damp fabric inbetween 2 dry white cotton fabrics. If any color transfers on the white fabrics, it will transfer in your quilt.

Also, you might try treating it with Retayne. Retayne is used to stop commercial fabrics from bleeding. You have to use it in the hottest water you can. I put my fabric in a bowl with Retayne and then pour boiling water over it. I cover it and let it cool. When cooled, I rinse it twice in cool water. The first rinse has color. The second rinse runs clear. The important part is to wash it afterward in cold or lukewarm water. If you wash it in hot water, it loses the Retayne protection.

My third tip is to use Color Catchers when washing in the washing machine. They really help.

My last tip is to not let dyed fabrics or my quilts sit in the washer after washing them. Take them out right away to prevent staining adjacent fabrics.

Judy Austin
        New dyers: listen carefully here. Judy points out the very important things about this subject.

For the ones who wants to dye with wine and other food stuff, there is a class on Quilt University called Dyeing with Tea and Spices. Unfortunately it is running now and registration is closed. Their calendar is not telling when it comes up next time.
        I'm not in that class, but in some other dyeing/painting classes. Very good instructions so go for it, if you are interested.

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks, Norma. I've seen Quilt University while browsing, but I think I'm going to look it up more seriously now. It seems to be quite comprehensive.

living in Central Denmark
          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X