[vb_main_1]

Beginners questions/doubts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginners questions/doubts

Looks like it's my turn to be the first!!

I am looking into dying my own fabrics. I am enthralled with Ricky and Caryl Fallert's colors and use of color along with many other artists. But I am having trouble determining if this is something that a plain, ordinary person can do successfully. Does anyone have any experience(s) they can share of when they first decided to step into the dying world and whether it is as easy as it sounds or something that should be avoided by the hobbyist (sp).

YES! Any plain and ordinary person can dye! I have taken numerous workshops in it - I LOVE TO DYE my own fabric. I would say if you can take a workshop, that is the best way to jump in, this way you don't have to invest a lot of money before you know if its something you want to do or not in the future. Search online for demonstrations, and techniques - and be honest with yourself - I HATE using the dyes that need to be treated, then I have to wear a mask, its just too involved for me right now, but I love to use Setacolor (which is a fabric paint that acts like a dye) I love Jacquards and there are even more out there - you can even have fun with RIT dyes and Koolaid! Experiment. There are gals and guys doing discharding with bleach - including dishwasher detergents and bleach pens. There is Rust dyeing going on out there where you use a mixture of vinegar and metal objects with your fabric and you can come out with some amazing things! Read, read and read some more. Anyone can Dye or Paint fabric, just like you learned how to sew, you can learn how to do this! Below are some links (not affliated) for reference. Good Luck!

http://www.dharmatrading.com - great place for supplies and how to's
    http://www.prochem.com - another site for the same
    http://www.andrusgardensquilts.vox.com/ great tutorial on Sunprinting, without the sun!
    http://www.skydyes.com - mickey lawlors site

Tina Marie Rey

http://www.tmrey.com
    http://www.tmrey.etsy.com
    http://www.tmrey.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope by now you have taken the big step and tried dyeing.

If you haven't, I would suggest you read the instructions on the Dharma Trading site or visit

You can set up cheaply - virtually everything you need can be purchased at the dollar store - mixing containers, bowls, tubs, Measuring utensils, zip lock bags, plastic cups, etc.

Then you need the dyes - you can start with a few of the "pure" procion colours. There are twelve or so and with them you can mix almost any colour. There are dye recipes on both the Dharma and the jacquard web sites.

You need the urea and soda ash and either synthrapol or dishwashing liquid to wash the fabric.

To start you can use the cheapest white muslin fabric you can find. Once you get a feel for what you are doing you can decide what price point of fabric you want to use.

Have a great time!

Comment

I have tryed dyeing my own fabric several times with moderate success, some pieces are very beautiful while others are....... :roll:
        I have a quality cotton PFD fabric that I purchased from Dharma (which I still pre-wash) and fiber reactive dye and other chemicals also from Dharma. Often times my colors seem very washed out or pale compared to what I see from others who dye their own fabric.

My question is could someone please pick a hue (red or purple say) and share with me their favorite "recipe" for dye powder quantities, volume of water, whether to pre treat fabric with soda ash or add it later, etc for an intense color saturated shade?

Thanks
        Peter in gray, drizzly Tacoma Wa.

Comment

Originally posted by peter
          I have tryed dyeing my own fabric several times with moderate success, some pieces are very beautiful while others are....... :roll:
          I have a quality cotton PFD fabric that I purchased from Dharma (which I still pre-wash) and fiber reactive dye and other chemicals also from Dharma. Often times my colors seem very washed out or pale compared to what I see from others who dye their own fabric.

My question is could someone please pick a hue (red or purple say) and share with me their favorite "recipe" for dye powder quantities, volume of water, whether to pre treat fabric with soda ash or add it later, etc for an intense color saturated shade?

Thanks
          Peter in gray, drizzly Tacoma Wa.
          Hi Peter,
          Send an e-mail to the TQS member: redcheek...her fabrics are just wonderful and she uses the same dye products as you! And she is by the way the sweetest girl so I bet she will answer you...just tell her I told you to contact her :lol:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Comment

I am a dyer and I love it. Peter, It sounds to me like you are not using enough dye powder in your dye bath. But here are a few things that might cause paler outcomes. Are you waiting at least 8 hours before you rince? Are your fabrics kept in a warm place to process? Is your soda ash mixed at 1/2 cup per gallon of water? Does whatever you are washing your PFD fabrics in have an additive that might be causing a problem?
            Please keep in mind that not all dye outcomes will be to your liking but someone else may think your stinkers are perfect for their needs. I have been dyeing for years and I continue to learn with each session. Soooo just keep at it and have fun.
            Betty Ann In Heavenly Florida

Comment

Hi Peter,

There is a yahoo group for cotton dyers, called Dyehard_Runoff. You might want to join them. There are lots of files telling how to dye, as well as many people who can help you troubleshoot your results.
              In general, it is recommended to use 1 tsp dye/cup of water to make your dye solution. You need 2 tsp dye/cup for blue and 3 tsp dye/cup for yellow.

Just go to Yahoo groups and search for Dyehard_Runoff.

Comment

I took a class on the Quilt University site last summer. We bought the 3 primary colors and were able to go from there.
                What I'd like to try are the multi-colored ones. We're not going to do any dyeing until the weather warms up but I'd love to start finding out now.
                eileenkny 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Well, this doesn't seem to be the busiest topic, but here goes. I would like to try dye-ing. My first attempt was yesterday when I took a sip of wine that had obviously turned. I was going to throw it out and then thought...if this stuff stains my tablecloths so badly, it must be good to dye with. So, I took a chunk of white embossed batik and soaked it overnight in the wine and in the morning I added some vinegar. I added the vinegar because someone told me that it 'sets' dark colours, like new jeans keep their colour longer etc. The fabric turned out a lovely lavender -like colour. My question is : Now what? Should I re-wash the fabric before using? I did slosh it around in some dish soap and rinsed it very well. I always pre-wash, so it had already been washed when still white. Has anyone used this technique (if that's what I can call it)? Will the colours run if I sew it into a quilt? If you were me, would you trust this fabric?

Comment

Originally posted by crocus999
                    Well, this doesn't seem to be the busiest topic, but here goes. I would like to try dye-ing. My first attempt was yesterday when I took a sip of wine that had obviously turned. I was going to throw it out and then thought...if this stuff stains my tablecloths so badly, it must be good to dye with. So, I took a chunk of white embossed batik and soaked it overnight in the wine and in the morning I added some vinegar. I added the vinegar because someone told me that it 'sets' dark colours, like new jeans keep their colour longer etc. The fabric turned out a lovely lavender -like colour. My question is : Now what? Should I re-wash the fabric before using? I did slosh it around in some dish soap and rinsed it very well. I always pre-wash, so it had already been washed when still white. Has anyone used this technique (if that's what I can call it)? Will the colours run if I sew it into a quilt? If you were me, would you trust this fabric?
                    Don't have the 'rew materials' for this sort of dying - hic! :lol:
                    My go to book is 'Dyeing in Plastic Bags' by Helen Deighan http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyeing-Plast...846&sr=1-1 She gave a talk at my embroidery groups some years ago and was great fun and very good.
                    I also got 'Eco Colour' by India Flint at christmas, but haven't got very far with it yet.

My main experience with dyeing is that if in doubt, leave it until tomorrow for good colour & good rinsing times.

Comment

Thanks, Rosemary.

Comment

To Peter regarding dyes that come out weak...
                        II had the same problem. I am told that the three main reasons that Procion dyes come out weak are:
                        (1) forgetting to use soda ash or not using enough soda ash.
                        (2) old dyes. One source said they don't last longer than 4 years. Another said they only last a year, and can go bad in 1 day if stored in the heat.
                        (3) not processing them at the right temperature. If they batch at two low a temperature, they don't bond. If you use water that is too hot, it kills the dyes, and the dye doesn't take. It just keeps bleeding out of your fabric and washes down the drain. This was my problem.

Also, make sure you rinse first with cold water and then gradually rinse with warmer water, and finally wash in 140 F water, with a little Synthraool. This is so important to prevent bleeding. Works for me. Water runs clear after this last step.

Judy Austin

Comment

Suggestions for Crocus regarding the dye experiment with wine....
                          Test it for bleeding by ironing the damp fabric inbetween 2 dry white cotton fabrics. If any color transfers on the white fabrics, it will transfer in your quilt.

Also, you might try treating it with Retayne. Retayne is used to stop commercial fabrics from bleeding. You have to use it in the hottest water you can. I put my fabric in a bowl with Retayne and then pour boiling water over it. I cover it and let it cool. When cooled, I rinse it twice in cool water. The first rinse has color. The second rinse runs clear. The important part is to wash it afterward in cold or lukewarm water. If you wash it in hot water, it loses the Retayne protection.

My third tip is to use Color Catchers when washing in the washing machine. They really help.

My last tip is to not let dyed fabrics or my quilts sit in the washer after washing them. Take them out right away to prevent staining adjacent fabrics.

Judy Austin

Comment

Terrie, Why don't you wash it with a colour catcher in the machine and see if any colour comes out? It seems to me that some of these stains never come out when you try to wash them in the machine - even with Vanish. If colour does come out when you wash it then you could either wash it again with Retayne (which I have never used) or Synthrapol (which I have used with great success) when you are washing a finished quilt in the machine.

So whatcha drinkin' next? Creme de Menthe? Cherry Brandy? Or just tea or coffee? I reckon you could dye fabric with spinach because that never seems to come out in the wash for me. Then there's turmeric - I could go on....

Comment

A couple of years ago I asked a quilter who dyes a lot of fabric how she gets such deep and rich colours. She smiled and told me that she sometimes overdyes the same piece of fabric three or four times until she gets the depth of colour she wants.
                              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 259 users online. 0 members and 259 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X