[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Hallelujah!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connie, It's wonderful! And yes, I too, like wool batting a LOT.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Beautiful!!
      Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Connie/Rita, For what it's worth, I loved using wool batting the one time I used it. I like how it looks and I like the weight of it. I didn't even think about how light the entire massive thing really was because it was the largest quilt I ever did using my domestic machine and I had other considerations on my mind. The wool batting adds such little weight to the entire thing. I think it is easier for aging arms and shoulders to deal with larger quilts. The other thing I loved was that after I washed it in my washing machine on the gentle cycle I laid it flat on the floor under a ceiling fan and the entire thing was dry in 2 hours. I will use it often.

Comment

Beautiful quilt!
          I really enjoyed using wool batting because of the ease with which my quilting needles "slid" through it. I found it very light and really easy to hand quilt and have used several times.
          Jeanine

Comment

Deborah Kemball said to us once: "Quilting with wool batting is like quilting thru butter" (talking about hand quilting).
            I enjoy the loft, the softness. And you are right, it is lighter to carry under a home sewing machine.

Andrée

Comment

Congratulations on finishing it. It is beautiful, Connie!

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Yep--I love wool batting also!
                Connie--Congratulations, your quilt is beautiful!

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Do you use wool alone or another batting under it?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Adding another Yes to the wool batting !

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
                      Do you use wool alone or another batting under it?
                      Well, in my vast series of one wool batting quilt (!) I used the wool batt all by itself. I had considered layering it with a cotton batt to make the quilting show up more (I had read about that on somebody's blog), but in the end just used the one. The main reason was that I couldn't figure out how to securely layer it all. I'm very glad I didn't use 2 batts, since the wool was plenty poofy all by itself.

Anyone out there with double batt experience?

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

I put 2 battings in my BOM2013. I sprayed glue (505) the cotton batting to the backing, to make it as 1 layer, and then used Sharon Shamber's method to baste the remaining layers. This thing is soooooo heavy. This is one of my problems quilting it,since I'm quilting on my home sewing machine. Thank goodness I have 11" at the right of the needle. I don't think I would have been able to quilt it...

Andrée

Comment

I used wool for the first time in my Chinese Whispers quilt and afterwards read that it has a direction and can stretch so some use another layer. I think it was Teri Lucas who uses silk as well so that's 3, her quilts are wonderful. I've not seen any blogs from her lately

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I've used wool over cotton for a couple of wallhangings and it worked very well. I did it to improve the stability for hanging. For a bed quilt that will be used, I would use the wool alone since I think the cotton would block the breathability of the wool.

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
                              I've used wool over cotton for a couple of wallhangings and it worked very well. I did it to improve the stability for hanging.
                              I'm wondering if this is why show quilters layer. Does this help waving?

I am looking forward to seeing Connie's quilt in Albuquerque in January. The quilting looks better than the original and when you can see it in a photograph, that's saying something!

Comment

I don't know about waving but I do know the wool's bounce helps prevent fold lines.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X