[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Month 11

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took Lorna's advice and checked what I had downloaded. I only had through April. I have caught up now, and have all the pages neatly in a binder. Now if I can only remember to download December's. I don't plan on making the quilt right now, but I like it and plan on it in the future. I will try to keep up with the 2014 BOM. I want to be working along with everyone else them.

Comment

Thanks for the picture of the backing Margo, much more exciting than what I have on hand, but I loved the Fabulous Flowers from the same line so ordered it. Will decide when it comes if it is nicer than the turquoise frond fabric that I have on hand.

Comment

ssgirl, where did you order this fabric from? Thanks, dixie

Comment

I am posting this here because I don't seem to be able to post a new topic for Two of Us.

Why can't I find exact measurements for the individual parts of this quilt. I have scrolled through all the instructions for each month and I can't find out exactly what size the centre squares are supposed to be, the cornerstones, the sashing etc. Has anybody else had this problem?

Comment

I trimmed my blocks as I sewed them and just assumed they would be the correct size as we used templates to construct them. But, perhaps I'm on the wrong track here. I am just finishing up my last border, whew! What a ton of appliqué that was. I just received my backing, the Ricky Tims Fabulous Flowers and it is a spectacular fit for the front of the quilt, so glad I bought it. If anyone needs the turquoise frond for backing, I will part with it for what I paid plus shipping from Canada.

Comment

Rita, the appliqued blocks should measure 16-1/2" x 16-1/2" (unfinished size)
              the sashing strips for the top should now measure 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" or 5-1/2" x 16-1/2"(unfinished size)
              The arc units should measure 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" or 8-1/2" x 16-1/2" (unfinished size)
              The cornerstone blocks should measure 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" (unfinished size)

After I sewed the center of my quilt together, I used the actual measurement to cut my borders, which I had intentionally left a little longer than the instructions specify.

Hope that helps.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo, this will really help!

Comment

Thanks Margo that does help. I knew that each of my pieces were those measurements but I wanted to be sure that I had them absolutely right before putting them together. Wouldn't it have been great if there was a recap in the instructions before assembly so that we could all double check our measurements before putting the top together? Sue Garman would have done that....grumble, grumble, grumble. :roll:

Comment

I hear ya, Rita! And totally agree! I haven't seen Janet Stone's instructions for the 2014 BOM, but I have a feeling that they are going to be really good!!

Comment

I'm glad to hear an update of Rita and ssgirl on where they are with this BOM. I have just the stem to stitch on the 2nd border, but feel like I'd better get some mug rugs completed before the 3rd or else I'll be disbarred from the Forum.

What's everybody else's completion status?

Comment

I finally started to put mine together today. It has taken me hours to put the first 1/4 together. Matching up cornerstones while trying to avoid stretching all those little triangles in the sashing has been challenging. For those who have not got there yet, it's definitely easier if you put the sashing underneath and sew on top of the centre blocks or side blocks. (I hope that makes sense!) I have also been using Carol Doak's method of using a large stitch to join the points, checking it's okay and then reduce the stitch back down and sew the entire seam. (I hope that makes sense too!) Only 3/4 more to do and then a sashing strip around the whole thing and then the borders - nearly there then. :roll: :lol:

Comment

Still stitching the month 7 and 8 appliqués... I HAVE to finish the top before New Year!

Andrée

Comment

I have assembled the top for the wall hanging version (kit fabrics), but still need to stitch the prepared appliques of the last two borders in place
                            and assemble the top for my red and khaki version.

Like Andrée, I hope to be finished before the end of the year!

Comment

Hi Two of Us Companions,

My quilt top is assembled, and I am fairly happy with most of it. However, a few of my small orange triangles at the end/beginning of their sections aren't quite the half-triangle they are supposed to be. So the quilt top has been hanging on the wall for a few weeks while I consider whether to try to correct this. My piecing seems to have been a wee off, and it would make for a teeny tiny seam allowance. So I may leave it. But every time I look at it, those short edges grab my eye.

Having whined about that, though, I am in love with this quilt and am so glad I did it.

Now for the quilting. I have 4 quilt tops from this year that are ready to quilt. Eeek.

Barb in Alabama
                              where it is cold but sunny

Comment

Hi Ladies,

To answer Susan's question on completion status. I am currently up to the quilting stage. Must say it is a mammoth undertaking, been at it for a few days and probably only a third done, if that. I used Sharon Schambers technique to baste the quilt sandwich using boards and hand stitching with pearl cotton, took me approximately 6 hours. It is great once done, not having to worry about all those pins getting in your way, I think it was worth the effort. If you are interested you can find her technique on UTube. Think it will be quite sometime before I finish quilting. When I first started, I thought this is impossible as the quilt is quite heavy and large as I have wool batting and it is very hot where I live in the sub tropics, but once you have completed stitching in the ditch, it gets easier just concentrating on a small area of quilting at a time.

I'm following the suggested quilting given in the instructions.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is going.

Regards Gail
                                Gail, Far North Queensland, Australia

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X