[vb_main_1]

Month 11

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 11

I went to the BOM page to download the latest month and realized I had not downloaded any of the months since March!! :shock: Please don't forget to download all of the available patterns even if you are not doing this BOM at this time. In the past, all patterns go away at the end of the year.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that this whole month is devoted to the quilting. That has always been the frustrating part of year-long BOMs in that the 12th month you are still making blocks or borders and have to finish the quilt in the new year (if you are as slow as I am)...which makes it quite difficult to start the next BOM in January. So this is awesome.

Off to the Autumn Quilt Festival this morning. It is at the Airspace Conservation Hall, Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, 1-3 November.

Lorna

Great reminder, Lorna! I know that I have a terrible habit of thinking about doing something, then never getting around to doing it. And how often do we see pattern requests on the forum form people who are looking for BOM months they "lost", or more likely forgot to download! ops:

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

I have a helpful hint for month 11...proofread your appliqué! I jumped the gun and started my quilting last month, and realized (to my horror!) that I had an appliqué flower that I had not finished blanket stitching. Fortunately, it was in a border, so I did not have to rip out "too much" quilting to get to it. :evil:

Thinking of all the hundreds of appliqué pieces we've put on this quilt, I can easily see how I missed it. Could have saved myself some grief by checking it all BEFORE I basted the quilt. Just sayin'!

Comment

The 2013 BOM is at the TQS booth in Houston, so here are some photos to supplement Sue's quilting instructions...

Comment

And a close-up of the embellished binding...

Comment

Originally posted by gynconnie
            I have a helpful hint for month 11...proofread your appliqué! I jumped the gun and started my quilting last month, and realized (to my horror!) that I had an appliqué flower that I had not finished blanket stitching. Fortunately, it was in a border, so I did not have to rip out "too much" quilting to get to it. :evil:

Thinking of all the hundreds of appliqué pieces we've put on this quilt, I can easily see how I missed it. Could have saved myself some grief by checking it all BEFORE I basted the quilt. Just sayin'!
            Great advice Connie! Thanks!

And thank you for those pictures. Always helpful!

Andrée

Comment

Thanks for the great tip Connie, this is my first go at a machine appliqué quilt, I usually do needle turn, so very helpful, will double check my appliqué. I'm still on the first border! Also great to see the detailed pictures of the quilting.

And Andre, didn't get to the stores you mentioned in Montreal, but did find a lovely little shop on the Rue St Hubert, called Effiloche. They had a great selection of modern fabrics and lots of yarn. Thanks for your suggestions, will try to get to the outskirts next time.

Comment

Great pictures, Connie. Thanks. That will come in handy.

Lorna

Comment

Originally posted by ssgirl
                  Thanks for the great tip Connie, this is my first go at a machine appliqué quilt, I usually do needle turn, so very helpful, will double check my appliqué. I'm still on the first border! Also great to see the detailed pictures of the quilting.

And Andre, didn't get to the stores you mentioned in Montreal, but did find a lovely little shop on the Rue St Hubert, called Effiloche. They had a great selection of modern fabrics and lots of yarn. Thanks for your suggestions, will try to get to the outskirts next time.
                  I should visit Plaza St-hubert soon! I will start a Christmas list...

Andrée

Comment

Thank you so much for the close ups Connie, it is difficult to see just what we are aiming to accomplish in our quilting by just looking at the print out. I need to see it up close and personal, eyes not what they once were :roll:
                    Regards Gail
                    Gail, Far North Queensland, Australia

Comment

Thanks for the close ups Connie - they really help. I've been looking at my little quilt for a month now and haven't come up with any great "quilt as desired" inspiration. So, since I like what Sue's done, I'm going to follow her suggestions. I just hope I can do tiny little feathers and make them look halfway decent.

Comment

Lorna, thanks for the reminder - I have just gone and checked that I had actually downloaded all the months up to now.

Connie, thanks for the closeups. I don't think I will be doing the same as Sue so I guess my quilt will have to marinade for a little longer - that is when I finally get around to putting all the pieces together.

Comment

Does anyone know what backing fabric Sue and Pat used on the quilt? This month's instructions reveal it in a couple of the pictures, and it is luscious! It is also something that I would never have thought to use on my own (I am sadly lacking in The Art of Choosing the Backing Fabric, I am discovering).

I love it and would like to find it online to take a closer look. Am hoping it can inspire me to find my own, or if I continue to be a lump on this, maybe I can order it from somewhere.

Anyone know?

Barb in Alabama
                          where autumn has arrived and the world is beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by Barblln
                            Does anyone know what backing fabric Sue and Pat used on the quilt? This month's instructions reveal it in a couple of the pictures, and it is luscious! It is also something that I would never have thought to use on my own (I am sadly lacking in The Art of Choosing the Backing Fabric, I am discovering).

I love it and would like to find it online to take a closer look. Am hoping it can inspire me to find my own, or if I continue to be a lump on this, maybe I can order it from somewhere.

Anyone know?

Barb in Alabama
                            where autumn has arrived and the world is beautiful

After some research, this is what I've learned:

Ricky said it is from Oodles of Doodles II and it is the "Swirling Swoops" pattern. But he did say any of the 4 patterns from that collection would work great.

https://www.rickytims.com/1739-oodle...-nears-release

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, thank you so much! How gorgeous are these fabrics, wow!!

Barb in Alabama

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X