[vb_main_1]

sedona star

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sedona star

I see the shoppe is advertising fat quarters for the sedona quilt. Does anyone know how many packets it would take to do the quilt? Thanks,Betty

If you go to this URL learn/all-boms you will find the fabric requirements for Sedona Star. Alternatively, look at the purple bar that says BOM at the top of the TQS screen, when you click on that, you will find all the BOMs, including Sedona Star. Hope this helps.

Comment

I am so far behind on the Sedona Star (doing both) most of the fabrics from my stash...and from the Quilt Shops.
      I am going to start back up with the Sedona Star after the Holidays and wonder how long will the monthly videos be available in case I run into trouble....will these messages also be available....so I can search some of the great information provided.
      Hope someone can let me know.
      Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Lenore, the patterns will only be available until December 31 so be sure that you have downloaded all of them!
        I'm not sure, but if it's like the other BOMs, the videos will probably be available for a while. (Sue's are still available from 2009.)
        The forum info will always be available.

Hope that helps!
        Good luck when you get back to it!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

We can encourage each other I too am behind with Sedona Star I think I got to the end of Aug then life got in the way for me. I do love it though. I still have Stars for a New Day in the closet I will finish both, as beautiful as 2013's is I can't in good consceince (can't spell) start another one.

Comment

I have only recently begun my Sedona Star. I emailed TQS to ask about the availability of the videos, and was assured they will be available for the foreseeable future on Sara's Classroom page. All the banter and questions and answers and helpful hints in the Sedona Star Forum will still be available. Make sure to download and/or print off every page of each month's instructions and templates before 12/31/12 - those will disappear!!

As for fabric requirements, I do not think you can make this whole quilt just from fat quarters. And you'd need a lot of each color of FQ's because this quilt uses a TON of fabric! I have only made the first three months and those pieces are not so large. But later in the series, some of the background pieces are quite large, and might be longer than 21". You will need some yardage for those.

I think it's great that so many of us will be working on Sedona Star this coming year... please keep posting your progress and pics in the Show and Tell!

Comment

Is anyone doing this project with machine applique versus in the hoop applique? I'd love to see photos... or point me in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by cjtinkle
                Is anyone doing this project with machine applique versus in the hoop applique? I'd love to see photos... or point me in the right direction!
                I'm doing it with machine applique, but am only finished through May. June will be the first big test of the process since up to now it's just been easy circle appliques. I hope to start up again next year, but have a lot of other quilts on my plate, too, so don't know when I'll get back to this one.

My plan is to cut the shapes out of Ricky Tims' Stable Stuff using my GO, glueing this to the wrong side of my fabric, glueing under the seam allowances and then stitching the shapes on using my domestic machine. This worked find for the circles, but I might have trouble with the sharp points on some of the other shapes. To position the shapes, the paper-piecing templates (which I also print on Stable Stuff) have the placement and those outlines end up on the back side of the base piece. If I can't see through with the light box, I stick pins up from the back side around the outline and place the shape in between the pins. I don't have any pictures of this, but can take some whenever I get back to this quilt.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, why not do raw edge applique with a fusible like Shades soft fuse, so you don't have to try and turn under those points? The applique done via the hoop will be raw edge. Just curious? Thanks!

Originally posted by rehak
                  I'm doing it with machine applique, but am only finished through May. June will be the first big test of the process since up to now it's just been easy circle appliques. I hope to start up again next year, but have a lot of other quilts on my plate, too, so don't know when I'll get back to this one.

My plan is to cut the shapes out of Ricky Tims' Stable Stuff using my GO, glueing this to the wrong side of my fabric, glueing under the seam allowances and then stitching the shapes on using my domestic machine. This worked find for the circles, but I might have trouble with the sharp points on some of the other shapes. To position the shapes, the paper-piecing templates (which I also print on Stable Stuff) have the placement and those outlines end up on the back side of the base piece. If I can't see through with the light box, I stick pins up from the back side around the outline and place the shape in between the pins. I don't have any pictures of this, but can take some whenever I get back to this quilt.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, why not do raw edge applique with a fusible like Shades soft fuse, so you don't have to try and turn under those points? The applique done via the hoop will be raw edge. Just curious? Thanks!

Originally posted by rehak

Nancy
                    I like the added puff you get from the Stable Stuff and like the look of turned edge applique better. It's a personal preference.

Nancy

Comment

I am doing the applique with fusible and button hole stitching. No hoop/emb machine for me.

I also love the look of turned applique with the stable stuff underneath to give a tad more fullness. However, when I tested doing it that way with the little circles, they looked terrible. I do think the points of the fancy appliques will be a challenge done this way, but it is doable with patience and skill. I just decided to do the fusible in an effort to move on with the quilt, and perhaps get it finished in the next year. LOL I am using Heat and Bond Lite and Rainbows thread in color Jester, which is bright multi colors that really complement my fabrics. I do my buttonhole/blanket stitching quite small in length and width so it's not clunky looking, but adds just a nice touch to the edges.

I might also do some faux trapunto when I am quilting to give it back the fluff it is now missing. Your batting choice can help with that too.

CJ, I have some pics in the Show and Tell, but not sure you can see the blanket stitching. I'd love to see pics of both Nancy's and CJ's. Please add them to the Show and Tell!

Comment

Thanks Michelle, I'll go search and see if I can find your pictures.
                        As for me, I haven't started this quilt and I'm not sure that I will, but I am thinking about it.

Comment

Hi CJ! Nice to see you back here! Good luck with your Sedona Star....however you decide to do it!

Comment

Thank you Margo! It has been sometime since I was on here. I decided to sign up for a year just so I could download the Sedona BOM. :mrgreen: Of course now that I've seen "It Takes Two", I like that even better! But I can't tell you how much I dislike quilting around applique.. the though fills me with dread. LOL

Comment

Thank you Margo! It has been sometime since I was on here. I decided to sign up for a year just so I could download the Sedona BOM. :mrgreen: Of course now that I've seen "It Takes Two", I like that even better! But I can't tell you how much I dislike quilting around applique.. the though fills me with dread. LOL
                              Have you tried DeLoa Jones's Appliguide? I really like it for stitching around applique!
                              http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloa...ppliguide.html

Do you still have a HandiQuilter?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 27 users online. 0 members and 27 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X