[vb_main_1]

Mini Pieced Swag Border

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Pieced Swag Border

I've been working on my other job (NQR) and was feeling a little down. I decided the best way to cheer up was to get started on the pieced swag border for my mini quilt. All of the strips are cut, the paper piecing templates made and I'm getting ready to start sewing. I cut all of the strips for the widest width which only required 2" of fabric for this mini border. I hope to get it mostly done before Sunday as I will be going to Houston for one day, then back to my NQR job for the following week. I'm enjoying viewing all of the quilts that are being posted from Houston.

Annis I really admire your ability to work so small. I hope it goes swiftly and smoothly. But if nothing else it will concentrate the mind on something other than the day job. I don't know what NQR stands for? Have a great day at Houston. I am thinking that I will have to save up to go next year or the year after. Please post a photo when you have the border done will you? Rita.

Comment

NQR is "Not Quilt Related". Most of my daily work has something to do with quilts, but we are self-employed and the bookkeeping is also my job which I work at sporadically, sometimes for a week or two at a time when I get behind or for the extra end of the year work which I'm hoping to get done early this year. And since I work at home I'm not very good at keeping the jobs separated so go back and forth between them.

Comment

Aha! Thanks for the translation - I can be a little slow sometimes ops: The curse of the self-employed is familiar to me - no time clock to force you to do the job within a 9-5 framework! Well I hope the piecing is fun. Rita.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
          Aha! Thanks for the translation - I can be a little slow sometimes ops: The curse of the self-employed is familiar to me - no time clock to force you to do the job within a 9-5 framework! Well I hope the piecing is fun. Rita.
          Rita, you might find this forum topic helpful: http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...-abbreviations

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

OMG Margo! TY. WWIT? OTOH, maybe it's TMI. IMHO FART and SABLE had me ROFl-ing. Every day when I think about dinner I WIWMI! Anyway, I will FIU now so TTYL. I am off to the land of WHIMMS :lol:

Comment

OMG Margo! TY. WWIT? OTOH, maybe it's TMI. IMHO FART and SABLE had me ROFl-ing. Every day when I think about dinner I WIWMI! Anyway, I will FIU now so TTYL. I am off to the land of WHIMMS :lol:

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I've had my first giggle of the day!! Thanks Rita!!

Annis...I want to see pics too when you get that mini border done.

Margo....amazing woman...in Houston and still keeping up with us. :shock: :lol:

Sandi in drizzly FL

Comment

The strip sets are finished, cut into 3/4" strips and the seams have been repressed open. I would have saved a lot of time if I'd removed the paper and repressed the seams before cutting the units, but I was in a hurry as usual and I wanted them cut before my DH arrived with supper so I could remove the little pieces of paper while relaxing and watching TV. As I was removing the paper I realized I was going to have to repress the seams open to distribute the bulk.

Now I have 20 packages of 15 strips each. I will be working with 4 packages at a time, one for each side of the quilt, starting from the center and working my way to the right. That will ensure all of the fabrics will be distributed evenly. As you can see I already positioned the first one wrong. The dark is supposed to be up. No need to retake the picture. We all make mistakes. As long as I don't make any as I sew because these are going to be a challenge to keep lined up. I will be trimming away some of the excess fabric from the top and bottom before sewing and working from the front so I can see what I'm doing. I wonder how long it will take to sew all of these pieces together! I hope I like the finished results.

Comment

Wow Annis! You are so organized. I love the little bags with the numbers on them so you can't get too lost. The strips look so thin but I guess with paper piecing it is possible. Don't forget to post a photo when you have some more done, I am dying to see how it works out. Rita.

Comment

Now I need a translator!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by djane
                        Now I need a translator!!!!
                        It's all here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4613

Rita.

Comment

Thanks Rita. A whole new language introduced to my world.

Comment

I was able to get half of the border done, but need another 10 hours to finish it so will put it aside for now and work on it sporadically over the next few weeks. I want to finish piecing this quilt this year. My Christmas BOM may have to wait until next year. This half of the border measures a little less than 12" finished on the long side.

This border was quite challenging. I started piecing it using my on top method but was having trouble staying on the line, possibly due to the bulky seams, the horizontal pins that distorted the paper (I usually place them vertically), and the fact that I was using a different sewing machine than usual because my main machine was making strange noises and is long overdue for a tune-up. I made it through 7 strips on each before having to do an unsew. That is when I started turning it over and sewing on the line on the back side which required using 4 pins instead of 2 because I didn't allow for excess seam allowance. I ended up with layered seams that required very little trimming. I'm thinking this border on my Christmas BOM is going to be much easier.

Comment

Oh Annis, they are just amazing! I hope you are pleased with how they look because they look really good to me. I can't imagine sewing such tiny pieces together and ending up with anything other than a bunch of frayed threads. :lol:

Enjoy Houston.

Rita.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X